The Student Room Group

What is your muscle building workout routine?

So I am currently on a ICF 5x5 one week and the next week it's a hypertophy 5 day program. Can anyone suggest a better muscle building routine?

Scroll to see replies

How about sticking to one program. If you try multiple programs your muscles get confused and don't know whether to get stronger or bigger.
Reply 2
Original post by illusionz
How about sticking to one program. If you try multiple programs your muscles get confused and don't know whether to get stronger or bigger.

That is what has confused me, I can't decide on one decent muscle building routine.

Muscles don't become confused
Original post by h3isenberg
Muscles don't become confused

...:biggrin:
Reply 5

:lol:

:clap2:
Reply 7
Moving around :indiff:
It's stupid to alternative programs weekly.

Choose a programme, stick to it for a long time (as a beginner, you're looking at months and months, not a few weeks) and eat well. You will gain muscle.
Reply 9
I'm on the ICF 5x5.
Original post by miser
I'm on the ICF 5x5.

So was I but I didn't feel like I got a good workout out of it, that feeling and pump at the end of the workout.
Original post by mrhedgehog
That is what has confused me, I can't decide on one decent muscle building routine.

just stick to ICF 5x5, it's a proven routine that gets results, bodypart splits are crap for natties
Original post by mrhedgehog
So was I but I didn't feel like I got a good workout out of it, that feeling and pump at the end of the workout.

If you don't like ICF, then don't do it! Look for a split that's well-designed, is at the appropriate level, well-recommended or has good reviews and do that, or try another full-body routine w/ BB accessories. No point in doing a routine you don't enjoy. :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
If you don't like ICF, then don't do it! Look for a split that's well-designed, is at the appropriate level, well-recommended or has good reviews and do that, or try another full-body routine w/ BB accessories. No point in doing a routine you don't enjoy. :smile:

exactly, do something you enjoy and you will be consistent with it.

ICF isn't the be all and end all as it's made out to be.
First ask yourself, do you want strength or size?

Hypertrophy routine - push, pull. legs

Progressive overload. I wouldn't use 5x5 if I wanted mass. I would say 5x5 is aimed towards strength.
You would have to pick out the exercise that best stimulate the muscle groups/heads. For example, when aiming for hypertrophy I quickly learnt that db press trumps bench press. I learnt how to stimulate different heads in the arm with accessory work. I also learnt that the desired rep range is around 8-10.

Follow this guy, he is awesome when it comes to breaking down myths of bb. He has solid advice for each muscle group

Original post by Greg Jackson
just stick to ICF 5x5, it's a proven routine that gets results, bodypart splits are crap for natties

BS, I'm on a 3 day split, been doing it for the last 18 months and I look big and better than all my friends who are on strength routines.

Lol at any one doing 5x5. High volume 8-10 reps is where it's at.

Op would you rather be strong or look strong
Original post by Gambit92
BS, I'm on a 3 day split, been doing it for the last 18 months and I look big and better than all my friends who are on strength routines.

Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
First ask yourself, do you want strength or size?

Hypertrophy routine - push, pull. legs

Progressive overload. I wouldn't use 5x5 if I wanted mass. I would say 5x5 is aimed towards strength.
You would have to pick out the exercise that best stimulate the muscle groups/heads. For example, when aiming for hypertrophy I quickly learnt that db press trumps bench press. I learnt how to stimulate different heads in the arm with accessory work. I also learnt that the desired rep range is around 8-10.

Follow this guy, he is awesome when it comes to breaking down myths of bb. He has solid advice for each muscle group

I want size rather than strengh to be honest. It is not like I need to be very strong with the lifestyle I have, I just want to look and feel good with my shirt off. So yes I will follow a hypertrophy program instead and not do the 5x5 anymore.
I'm no expert but a 5x5 full body A/B/A style with isolation work is what pretty much everyone will suggest for a relative novice. The basic point is train every muscle group as often as you can (ie as soon as it has recovered). There is no need to do a body part split until your muscles take that long to recover.
Original post by Gambit92

Strong sample size mate. Haven't accounted for genetics/training intensity/diet/rest etc either.
I'm no expert but a 5x5 full body A/B/A style with isolation work is what pretty much everyone will suggest for a relative novice. The basic point is train every muscle group as often as you can (ie as soon as it has recovered). There is no need to do a body part split until your muscles take that long to recover.

Yes, and everyone tells noobies that the bench is the best for gaining chest size.

I hear a lot of people on here telling noobies don't isolate/use cables, go for 5x5. Pathetic advice when their goal is to increase in size.

Push, Pull, Legs repeat.

Quick Reply

Latest