The Student Room Group

HELP. Part time job (Sheffield). What to do?

I have no idea what part time job to go for, in order to fund my further study. Recently I graduated (1st class Psychology) and going to do a part-time masters in cognitive neuroscience from September; whilst also volunteering once week for the NHS.

I dunno what part-time jobs to go for :frown: :frown: :frown:
Feel rather lost.
Reply 1
I`d say whatever you can find, you`re more likely to find jobs from supermarkets and shops, or possible call centres.
I use these sites to look for jobs, hopefully they can help you:
Indeed.co.uk
Reed
Totaljobs
CV-Library
E4S (Employment 4 Students)

:smile:
Im a support worker, something like that might be good for you, especially if you worked as bank staff as then you could easily work less when you've got a major deadline/exam impending
Reply 3
Original post by Mav455
I`d say whatever you can find, you`re more likely to find jobs from supermarkets and shops, or possible call centres.
I use these sites to look for jobs, hopefully they can help you:
Indeed.co.uk
Reed
Totaljobs
CV-Library
E4S (Employment 4 Students)

:smile:

Thanks, will do. I'm thinking of settling for a job at a supermarket. Just feel a little, down, as expected more jobs out there (no idea why, lol).

Original post by doodle_333
Im a support worker, something like that might be good for you, especially if you worked as bank staff as then you could easily work less when you've got a major deadline/exam impending

I can't really find any support worker stuff that doesn't require a car. Funnily enough I was offered a support worker position before I started uni, but had to decline as was uncertain about times at the start of my degree.
Bank staff? Sorry not sure what it is. It's part time MSc so I'm not too worried about exams and deadlines; as long as not doing too many hours generally.
Original post by hellodave5
Thanks, will do. I'm thinking of settling for a job at a supermarket. Just feel a little, down, as expected more jobs out there (no idea why, lol).

I can't really find any support worker stuff that doesn't require a car. Funnily enough I was offered a support worker position before I started uni, but had to decline as was uncertain about times at the start of my degree.
Bank staff? Sorry not sure what it is. It's part time MSc so I'm not too worried about exams and deadlines; as long as not doing too many hours generally.

it's out there! I don't drive either and have found posts
https://www.networxrecruitment.com/Jobs/Advert/91910?FromSearch=False
I don't know if that link will work but it's for a relief role in chesterfield with mencap :smile: take it from me it's not the best place to work but you will get good training

bank work basically means you fill in when staff are on leave, sick, on training or there is a vacancy - so you pick your shifts essentially, most places have a basic requirement of a minimum amount but it's usually once every 3 months or something, however it does leave you a lot more flexibility since jobs like this will involve early/late/sleep in shifts etc so you might not want to be working when you're in uni next day for example
Reply 5
it's out there! I don't drive either and have found posts
https://www.networxrecruitment.com/Jobs/Advert/91910?FromSearch=False
I don't know if that link will work but it's for a relief role in chesterfield with mencap :smile: take it from me it's not the best place to work but you will get good training

bank work basically means you fill in when staff are on leave, sick, on training or there is a vacancy - so you pick your shifts essentially, most places have a basic requirement of a minimum amount but it's usually once every 3 months or something, however it does leave you a lot more flexibility since jobs like this will involve early/late/sleep in shifts etc so you might not want to be working when you're in uni next day for example

Hmm... that sounds really challenging.
Would I get enough hours to be able to save a significant amount of money though (MSc is a fair bit, though have 2 years practically to get it).
Will give that some consideration; thanks very much. No experience required, and training is provided :smile: Only thing would probably be the transport and its costs, will have a look into it.
Cheers! :smile:
Hmm... that sounds really challenging.
Would I get enough hours to be able to save a significant amount of money though (MSc is a fair bit, though have 2 years practically to get it).
Will give that some consideration; thanks very much. No experience required, and training is provided :smile: Only thing would probably be the transport and its costs, will have a look into it.
Cheers! :smile:

it depends where you're based and how fussy you are I think! where I'm based there are ALWAYS shifts, only 1 staff is allowed annual leave at any time so that is really spread out and there tends to be a high staff turnover, I know staff who work 2 shifts most weeks which is what I do as a contracted staff anyway, a typical shift where I work would be £90-140 - and it would mean you could take another job too if you were offered more stable hours and just do one off shifts as and when

and again the challenge depends entirely where you're based, some schemes have a lot of people who have severe health or behavioural problems, others are very easy going and relaxed, the likelihood is you'd be able to do both depending on your interests
Reply 7
it depends where you're based and how fussy you are I think! where I'm based there are ALWAYS shifts, only 1 staff is allowed annual leave at any time so that is really spread out and there tends to be a high staff turnover, I know staff who work 2 shifts most weeks which is what I do as a contracted staff anyway, a typical shift where I work would be £90-140 - and it would mean you could take another job too if you were offered more stable hours and just do one off shifts as and when

and again the challenge depends entirely where you're based, some schemes have a lot of people who have severe health or behavioural problems, others are very easy going and relaxed, the likelihood is you'd be able to do both depending on your interests

Accidentally deleted my first reply... yay for saved content.

Thanks so much for the insight.
I'm not sure if all the stuff around patients all of a sudden will get to me... like at the NHS I end up talking to patients which are knowingly at their end of life (such as with cancer) often, and it's rather upsetting. Not sure if it would be putting myself in the deep end too soon... though I want to do medical stuffs in the future, and would be good xp.
I'm also quite shy, so can get overloaded. Dunno if to go for something a bit easier like an office job or in a supermarket.
That's great money - can I work with you plz?
What would you say normal weekly hours and wage is there, or in the sector?
Accidentally deleted my first reply... yay for saved content.

Thanks so much for the insight.
I'm not sure if all the stuff around patients all of a sudden will get to me... like at the NHS I end up talking to patients which are knowingly at their end of life (such as with cancer) often, and it's rather upsetting. Not sure if it would be putting myself in the deep end too soon... though I want to do medical stuffs in the future, and would be good xp.
I'm also quite shy, so can get overloaded. Dunno if to go for something a bit easier like an office job or in a supermarket.
That's great money - can I work with you plz?
What would you say normal weekly hours and wage is there, or in the sector?

from what I've seen you typically get either a 0 hours post, around 20 hours or a full time position and wages vary from minimum wage to £9-10 per hour depending on the setting and employer (i.e. working somewhere very challenging for a private employer will land you on the top end!)
so I get paid £7.41 p/hour plus a sleep in fee (around £28) my shifts can vary from 4.5 hours to 25 hours (although I did about 32 once) obviously the long shifts include a sleep in which is usually from 10-7 where you're more 'on call' and can basically do whatever as long as you stay on site

what I would say is that if it's an applicable practical area you need to challenge yourself at some point and it will be good experience! obviously I can't speak for everywhere but the schemes I work on are not difficult to cope with at all, I'm very shy myself so I find working with vulnerable groups very important experience since when you're working as a professional you need to be able to give an impression of being in control of the situation and being confident
Reply 9
from what I've seen you typically get either a 0 hours post, around 20 hours or a full time position and wages vary from minimum wage to £9-10 per hour depending on the setting and employer (i.e. working somewhere very challenging for a private employer will land you on the top end!)
so I get paid £7.41 p/hour plus a sleep in fee (around £28) my shifts can vary from 4.5 hours to 25 hours (although I did about 32 once) obviously the long shifts include a sleep in which is usually from 10-7 where you're more 'on call' and can basically do whatever as long as you stay on site

what I would say is that if it's an applicable practical area you need to challenge yourself at some point and it will be good experience! obviously I can't speak for everywhere but the schemes I work on are not difficult to cope with at all, I'm very shy myself so I find working with vulnerable groups very important experience since when you're working as a professional you need to be able to give an impression of being in control of the situation and being confident

Again many thanks! :smile:
Much appreciated. I will look into it some more, with jobs around the Sheffield area of the like - Though I think regardless of my current choice, as some point I will end up doing a similar role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending