The Student Room Group

Do you think North Korea and South Korea should reunify?

Poll

Should Korea reunify?

'North Korea should unite with South Korea'. Do you agree or disagree and why?
Reply 1
Let's see - one is an advanced industrialised democracy, the other is basically a medieval state run by a self proclaimed earthbound god.

One has outstanding industry and commerce. The other can't feed their people and is basically inflicting a holocaust on its own population.

There is no way this is going to work out except in the loooooong term.
Reply 2
Idealistically, I think they 'should', if only to address the half-century long separation of families, friends, lovers etc. across an arbitrary border.

But in reality, it would be a nightmare of epic proportions integrating both the economies and populations back into a unified country. South Korea, with the more advanced economy and society and all would probably have to bear the brunt of an extra ~25 million people. I can't even begin to think how you'd go about doing it.
Original post by serebro
'North Korea should unite with South Korea'. Do you agree or disagree and why?

:cool: youre korean you say
North Korea should be destroyed. It is the most evil state on Earth.
Reply 5
Original post by trustmeimlying1
:cool: youre korean you say

I'm actually half-Japanese.
No, I think South Korea should take control of North Korea if anything, but it's in so much economic trouble without the tyrannical nutcases running their labour camps that I doubt South Korea would want to. It does, however, recognise escaped North Koreans as South Korean citizens so provides them with a country to live if they escape.

Assuming the dictatorship ends, it's going to need so much economic support from the world. I have no idea how it functions without roads, cities, energy etc.
Original post by serebro
I'm actually half-Japanese.

jaysus I wouldnt be saying that too loudly...
Reply 8
West Germany is still paying the price of reunification with East Germany, and they were in a hell of a lot of a better state than North Korea are now.

As much as it would be nice for the country and for the people in it, it's not going to happen.
No, I think they should stay as they are, but North Korea should join the EU. :smile:
Pass me some of what you're smoking OP.
Reply 11
Original post by ClickItBack
Pass me some of what you're smoking OP.

I saw this article from earlier this year. Made me wonder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25911981

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending