The Student Room Group

The "Nice Guy" complex

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by canadamoose
Sure I would. But my intentions would still be clear, as the flirting is in there.

And I think 'nice guys' flirt too, as well as being nice!
Original post by Zarek
And I think 'nice guys' flirt too, as well as being nice!

I can honestly say that in the multiple times that I have unintentionally "friendzoned" a "nice guy", he had not flirted with me. He had been nice, offered to help me with my homework, chatted to me about what I was interested in, and was courteous (opening doors, etc.). None of that is flirting, so it's silly that I was expected to recognise his intentions.
Being a nice guy gets kinda boring. It's fun to make a joke or two, do some things that are a little crazy. People like the thrill and excitement that come with it, being safe and boring and 'nice' is one way to lose any chance of lady interest, unless there's so desperate that you're the best they can do.
Reply 23
I can honestly say that in the multiple times that I have unintentionally "friendzoned" a "nice guy", he had not flirted with me. He had been nice, offered to help me with my homework, chatted to me about what I was interested in, and was courteous (opening doors, etc.). None of that is flirting, so it's silly that I was expected to recognise his intentions.

Fair enough, perhaps there is something in what you say. Flirting can mean different things to different people though and is a bit of a skill.

And don't you recognise someone being kind and wanting to spend time with you as a sign of attraction?
(edited 9 years ago)
I've posted regarding this topic before - here's my opinion on it:

The "friendzone" and "nice guy syndrome" seem to go hand in hand. These guys act nice, not with the intent of being decent human beings, but purely to attract girls. If the girls don't have any interest in them, they get their panties in a wad and insist that they have been friendzoned.

Sorry, but as a female, I am not obligated to have sex with any guy who holds the door open to me. And by becoming friends with the guys who are nice to me, I am actually rewarding the nice behaviour. It's not like guys are being nice and I am being a bitch in return - I am actually acknowledging that these guys have been nice to me, and have decided that they are good people and we can be friends. That's where guys seem to fall short. They act nice for the purpose of sex, when acting nice most often ends in friendship. Does that mean you've been "friendzoned"? No! It means that the girl in question does not currently find you to be a suitable partner. She may not be attracted to you physically, she may be attracted to a different sort of personality, or she may just not want to date!

We live in a world where we change our actions based on what we want from other people. This tactic only works if you are clear about it - people won't fall at your feet knowing what you want without you saying. If I want to have sex with somebody, I flirt with them and make my intentions clear. If I want to be friends with someone, I am nice to them and ask them to hang out. If I need help from someone, I approach them and ask for help. Similarly, if a guy was flirting with me and making it clear that he was interested sexually, it means he wants a sexual relationship. If a guy was being nice to me and spending his time with me in a friendly way, it means he wants a friendship. If I guy asked me for my assistance, it means he wants my assistance. It's not that hard of a concept.

tl;dr, Don't bitch about the friendzone when you didn't flirt and express your interest to the girl in question. Your intentions were not clear. If they were, it means she isn't interested, and frankly, you're a c*nt for thinking that she owes it to you for being nice.

This is all very well but I've lost count of the number of female friends who have chosen to date 'alpha male' bad boy types because they find them physically attractive, only to get cheated on a while into the relationship. As one of their close friends and a decent person I have of course been there to listen and offer moral support. But while they're ranting about 'hating men' and 'all guys being the same', I can't stop the voice in my head from screaming 'they really arent! YOU just always choose to date the same kind of men!'.

I completely agree with you that being nice doesn't automatically entitle anybody to a relationship, as well as about people making their intentions clear. However, you must realise that it's far easier for a confident/arrogant, brash guys who see women as objects/potential conquests to brazen flirt, than it is for a shy, humble, respectful man to do the same. On a personal level, I've watched one of my best (female) friends date a string of horrible but physically attractive and confident guys, and I've been there to pick her up everytime she gets her heart broken. I've liked her more than just as a friend for sometime, and I would have thought that this would have been obvious from all I've done for her, but I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm well and truly friendzoned. Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with this, I just think that if people (not just women) choose their partners based on physical attraction rather than personality then they shouldn't really be that surprised if they get treated badly, and they certainly shouldn't start generalising about all men when it's really their taste in men that's the issue.
Original post by Ziggy Sawdust
This is all very well but I've lost count of the number of female friends who have chosen to date 'alpha male' bad boy types because they find them physically attractive, only to get cheated on a while into the relationship. As one of their close friends and a decent person I have of course been there to listen and offer moral support. But while they're ranting about 'hating men' and 'all guys being the same', I can't stop the voice in my head from screaming 'they really arent! YOU just always choose to date the same kind of men!'.

I completely agree with you that being nice doesn't automatically entitle anybody to a relationship, as well as about people making their intentions clear. However, you must realise that it's far easier for a confident/arrogant, brash guys who see women as objects/potential conquests to brazen flirt, than it is for a shy, humble, respectful man to do the same. On a personal level, I've watched one of my best (female) friends date a string of horrible but physically attractive and confident guys, and I've been there to pick her up everytime she gets her heart broken. I've liked her more than just as a friend for sometime, and I would have thought that this would have been obvious from all I've done for her, but I think it's pretty safe to say that I'm well and truly friendzoned. Anyway, I don't really know where I'm going with this, I just think that if people (not just women) choose their partners based on physical attraction rather than personality then they shouldn't really be that surprised if they get treated badly, and they certainly shouldn't start generalising about all men when it's really their taste in men that's the issue.

This is what I oppose to really, just because her relationships have ended badly does not mean she picked looks over personality - she might have thought (perhaps wrongly to an outsider, yet nevertheless she still thought) that she was getting a nice combination. Just because you see a dickface with a pretty face doesn't mean she sees the same, or understands what she's getting herself into. So implying that its really her/their fault isn't fair at all. I'm sorry this girl doesn't like you back, or that you feel you are struggling compared to other blokes, but there's no need to start being all "well its her fault because her boyfriend's a ****er". Doesn't seem that respectful really...
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26

Well you only have yourself to blame here as you haven't actually voiced your interest -- how is she supposed to know how you feel about her?
Reply 27
The concept really does annoy me. If the best you have to offer is not being a dick, then you really have nothing to offer. And if you are only being nice to get laid, then you haven't even got that.
Reply 28
I've posted regarding this topic before - here's my opinion on it:

The "friendzone" and "nice guy syndrome" seem to go hand in hand. These guys act nice, not with the intent of being decent human beings, but purely to attract girls. If the girls don't have any interest in them, they get their panties in a wad and insist that they have been friendzoned.

Sorry, but as a female, I am not obligated to have sex with any guy who holds the door open to me. And by becoming friends with the guys who are nice to me, I am actually rewarding the nice behaviour. It's not like guys are being nice and I am being a bitch in return - I am actually acknowledging that these guys have been nice to me, and have decided that they are good people and we can be friends. That's where guys seem to fall short. They act nice for the purpose of sex, when acting nice most often ends in friendship. Does that mean you've been "friendzoned"? No! It means that the girl in question does not currently find you to be a suitable partner. She may not be attracted to you physically, she may be attracted to a different sort of personality, or she may just not want to date!

We live in a world where we change our actions based on what we want from other people. This tactic only works if you are clear about it - people won't fall at your feet knowing what you want without you saying. If I want to have sex with somebody, I flirt with them and make my intentions clear. If I want to be friends with someone, I am nice to them and ask them to hang out. If I need help from someone, I approach them and ask for help. Similarly, if a guy was flirting with me and making it clear that he was interested sexually, it means he wants a sexual relationship. If a guy was being nice to me and spending his time with me in a friendly way, it means he wants a friendship. If I guy asked me for my assistance, it means he wants my assistance. It's not that hard of a concept.

tl;dr, Don't bitch about the friendzone when you didn't flirt and express your interest to the girl in question. Your intentions were not clear. If they were, it means she isn't interested, and frankly, you're a c*nt for thinking that she owes it to you for being nice.

:clap2:
I think the friend zone is an unfortunate place to be in as I'd prefer to date friends that I've known for a while rather than a stranger or acquaintance and a few other girls too. Can't really predict such things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

RIP man.

If that was me i would get the hell out of there and stop talking to her **** like that will only hurt you and blind you especially since you like her and she "probably" doesnt like you back..

how is a guy wanting to spend time with you not flirting or a sign of attraction? Out of curiosity what would you consider flirting?
Original post by Anonymous
how is a guy wanting to spend time with you not flirting or a sign of attraction? Out of curiosity what would you consider flirting?

Because that's identical to a sign of friendship?

I'm a guy whose been on the other side of this, "nice guys" telling my girlfriend that I'm not good enough for her, that they're so much nicer and would treat her better. They were assuming, or at least saying, I'd cheat on her just because I liked clubbing and the people I hung around with were a bit dodgey, and I'm a bit cocky. Doesn't mean I don't treat girls properly.
I always thought I was 'nice', but according to this lot 'nice guys' are utter d**chebags. My mistake.
Original post by RayApparently
I always thought I was 'nice', but according to this lot 'nice guys' are utter d**chebags. My mistake.

Not necessarily. It depends. What OP means is that there are nice guys but some will ask out etc. and they will expect you to go out with them because they are 'nice'. :redface:

I don't know what I'm still doing on here :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by karmacrunch
Not necessarily. It depends. What OP means is that there are nice guys but some will ask out etc. and they will expect you to go out with them because they are 'nice'. :redface:

I don't know what I'm still doing on here :rolleyes:

I see.
Niceness is just one of the many reasons I'd give in my Dragon's Den style pitch (where I offer a certain percentage of my attention, care and adoration in exchange for a reasonable emotional investment with potentially high returns).

Spoiler

Original post by RayApparently
I see.
Niceness is just one of the many reasons I'd give in my Dragon's Den style pitch (where I offer a certain percentage of my attention, care and adoration in exchange for a reasonable emotional investment with potentially high returns).

Spoiler

"Just one the many reasons"<- You really love yourself don't you? (Not in a bad way) :smile:

Haha, especially at a "certain percentage" and "potentially high returns" :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by karmacrunch
"Just one the many reasons"<- You really love yourself don't you? (Not in a bad way) :smile:

On the contrary I often find myself going through bouts of deeply troubling self-loathing (tut tut, teen life).
But then I get over it and remember to count my blessings.

Haha, especially at a "certain percentage" and "potentially high returns" :laugh:

Cheers :wink:
If you are nice and they want to **** you they will, if they don't they don't, being nice has nothing to do with it
I'm sorry, but from my experience with girls, you could be absolutely perfect for them in terms of your personality, interests, general looks (relative equality~) while being "too nice" (e.g. just being a nice person, without actually being overly pleasant) can sometimes make you less attractive than an absolute prick; believe me, I've been very nice to girls that I got on extremely well with and they rejected me, then I was an absolute jerk to another similar girl and she went out with me in pretty much otherwise exactly the same conditions. face it - girls, many of them at least, a lot of the time, just don't like being treated well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending