The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jordanap
No? OP said that gay people don't act differently to straight people. They do, I've experienced it.

SOME Gay people. The loudest, the most visible. Definitely not proving your point here.
Original post by Anonymous
I apologise but could you read my responses previously to these sorts of comments? I'm just trying to state how unfair it is that that's all people think this community deserve. It's barbaric in my eyes.

It's unfair, I agree, but that's just how people are. The fact that we gotten to the point where more people are tolerating it, is a good thing in my view. As it means these people are no longer having a negative effect on gay peoples lives.
Original post by alapa
SOME Gay people. The loudest, the most visible. Definitely not proving your point here.

A higher proportion of gay people (50%) do those things. Of straight men (1%) The only difference is they're gay, and they are acting differently.

The average gay person acts different to the average straight person.
A higher proportion of gay people (50%) do those things. Of straight men (1%) The only difference is they're gay, and they are acting differently.

Sources for those stats?
No, I believe you may have misread! I agree that toleration is necessary but I mean, why can they only "tolerate" what has ANYONE done to deserve quite literally just that? So what, they love the same gender... it doesn't define anyone and it's so unfair like, would any of these people like it if the coin was flipped?

:frown:! I'm glad you agree.

tolerated is fine, just becuase someone is gay ( or not) should mean everyone has to kiss their ass either. live and let live should be the mantra of everyone, a lot of people would not act the same way gay people do, but have no issue with them doing their own things to themselves. whats your issue exactly
I think it's hilarious that people feel they can only "tolerate" someone because they love the same gender. It's just incredible the way the LGBT community get treated by a lot of people and I'm not part of that community but as an outsider looking in, would you honestly like to be hated on for loving a girl if your a guy or vice versa? Because I highly doubt that.

Just discuss this please. It's ridiculous.

Tolerance is the most that anyone has a right to expect really; be it with regard to gay people, straight people, men, women, black people, white people etc...

We might think it's unfortunate that people are "tolerating" others, implying that they have a certain dislike towards them, but still let them be without persecuting them for it, as opposed to simply accepting them just as they would any other person without batting an eyelid.

But then, people have the right to dislike or hate whomever they like. If someone hates gays, no anti-discrimination law can force them to stop. All it can do is require tolerance on their part.

The average gay person acts different to the average straight person.

I honestly believe that this is because practically 70% or more of heterosexual males do not accept gays, so they identify with only women. And everyone picks traits up off of those they befriend and hang around with. Whether you notice them or not.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Sources for those stats?

Me - my entire life
Original post by alapa
I love this post. A straight guy confident enough to perceive gay attention as a confidence boost instead of an attack on his masculinity.

I'm from near Brighton, you've got to get over it at some point.
Me - my entire life

Bull****. What about all the loud obnoxious 'LADs'
Bull****. What about all the loud obnoxious 'LADs'

They don't wave their arms about or have the high pitched voice?
I think everyone knows what a gay accent is - it's all like "heeeeey". All of their sentences end higher pitched

Just over the weekend I spent a considerable amount of time with 4 gay people. 2 with the theatrics and accent, and 2 without (1 of these just has the accent, but he's really quiet). Weirdly, they're both couples - one of each in the relationship.

Over the weekend I was also with 50+ straight men. How many had the 'gay' accent and arm waving theatrics? None.

I don't need scientific proof, I've experienced it first hand. Gay people behave differently because they are gay

I think everyone knows what you're on about(that gay couple in the "new normal" show for example), but are pretending to be none the wiser, lol.

But, I dunno, I think the reason why some gays might act that way is because of the media, where gay people are shown to be acting that way. This behavior is then emulated by some gay people to solidify there identity of being gay.

Ok, what about all the orange joey essex wannabes
Ok, what about all the orange joey essex wannabes

I literally have no idea what you're on about. As far as I know Joey Essex doesn't have the 'gay accent'
Original post by Ajibola
I think everyone knows what you're on about(that gay couple in the "new normal" show for example), but are pretending to be none the wiser, lol.

But, I dunno, I think the reason why some gays might act that way is because of the media, where gay people are shown to be acting that way. This behavior is then emulated by some gay people to solidify there identity of being gay.

No idea of why they do act different, but in my experience, they do. It's not a bad thing - I'm just noting the difference.

No but they have a sexist, misogynistic, arrogant tone and feel the need to flirt with anything that moves. How is that not worse or equal in anyones mind?
Original post by alapa
I love this post. A straight guy confident enough to perceive gay attention as a confidence boost instead of an attack on his masculinity.

you seem to say that everyone should regard gay mens pre-occupations with sex as charming, even if directed at straight men. some would call it it juvenile. would pre-pubescent straight boys awkwardly making double-entendres at women be regarded as confidence boosting?no
No but they have a sexist, misogynistic, arrogant tone and feel the need to flirt with anything that moves. How is that not worse or equal in anyones mind?

I'm not saying it is worse. But it's different - which is the point I disagreed about.
Reply 78
you seem to say that everyone should regard gay mens pre-occupations with sex as charming, even if directed at straight men. some would call it it juvenile. would pre-pubescent straight boys awkwardly making double-entendres at women be regarded as confidence boosting?no

Yes but then again. It's not a gay issue really is it? It's a maturity issue. Of course some guys may be like 'wtf get a life!' If a gay man was to make cheesy advances. That's so totally cool. As long as its becaus the gay man was being a doosh bag and not just because he was gay if you get what I'm saying?

Nobody should feel harrased or intimidated. I do agree with you, but its not a sexuality issue.
Original post by alapa
Yes but then again. It's not a gay issue really is it? It's a maturity issue. Of course some guys may be like 'wtf get a life!' If a gay man was to make cheesy advances. That's so totally cool. As long as its becaus the gay man was being a doosh bag and not just because he was gay if you get what I'm saying?

Nobody should feel harrased or intimidated. I do agree with you, but its not a sexuality issue.

Precisely; a lot of heterosexuals that tell homosexual men to go away for coming on to them, have no genuine reason for doing so because it would perhaps turn out that the homosexual man they got angry with, did quite literally nothing more than just be around the heterosexual guy. If you catch my drift? Like, basically, a lot of those who do tell them to get lost have no reason for doing it and just do it. As if they believe that's all gay men are interested in, touching THEM up and in actual fact they're not the least bit interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending