Scroll to see replies

Maintenance Loan: £3,000
Maintenance Grant: £3,100
Bursaries: - Not sure
Scholarships: N/A
Savings: £3,000
Money from Parents: N/A

Accommodation Cost: Living at home
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Probably around £50.
Im basically getting the minimum maintenence grant. About 3600?

Ive got 300 in my savings. And i get pocket money of my parents every month (dont hate me, its been like this since my sister was little and shes 8years older than me (plus currently to add to the image im giving myself it mainly goes towards my car or horse riding lessons etc).
So add about 210 p/m (tho i wont get 80 of that as its given in cash..) so 130 p/m.

My parents are paying for my accom which is nearly 4000. But more around 3790 or something (im rounding up).

Frustrating thing is that i know my parents earn a lot, but given that dads retired and mums about to it could all change and i dont want to live off an overdraft so im not getting one.

Along with the money side, im relatively near my gma so i can occaisionally grab food off her if i need to. But i plan on giving myself about 40-50 a month for going out or extras like clothes, which would be my left over.

I plan on saving while at uni so im not in hell after

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by _Morsey_
Going to base this on the University i am most likely to get into; Sheffield (insurance):

Maintenance Loan: £2713.00
Maintenance Grant: £5160.00 (Welsh Government Learning Grant)
Bursaries: £1400
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £1000 (Albeit most will go on a new Laptop/Desktop)
Money from Parents: £0 (Albeit they are buying items like pans, towels etc.)

Accommodation Cost: £5107 (42 weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £123 (~£99 excluding savings)

Wow £5160 awesome. £99 a week is a very good weekly amount of money.
What kind of laptop/desktop you planning on getting? Mac? Alienware? Razer Laptop?

Original post by tk1993
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: None yet, possibly £850 a year
Scholarships: None
Savings: About £200, but may be getting a summer job
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £4400
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £85

What university you going too?
Maintenance Loan: £4450
Maintenance Grant: £2300
Bursaries: £1500
Scholarships: £1000
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: £2400

Accommodation Cost: £5375 (43 weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £130
Original post by David B
Wow £5160 awesome. £99 a week is a very good weekly amount of money.
What kind of laptop/desktop you planning on getting? Mac? Alienware? Razer Laptop?

Personally i think the amount is abhorrent and that the system is unfair, however SF Wales is much better than SF England so i have been lucky in that sense. In an ideal world i would love to build my own Desktop, but i will be studying engineering so i somewhat feel i will need something more portable, so i haven't quite decided yet.
Reply 25
Original post by UniSonnCome
Maintenance Loan: £3,000
Maintenance Grant: £3,100
Bursaries: - Not sure
Scholarships: N/A
Savings: £3,000
Money from Parents: N/A

Accommodation Cost: Living at home
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Probably around £50.

Only £50 a week and you're living at home? I would of thought you got more since you're getting £6100 from Loan + Grant and £3000 in savings

Original post by HarrietROAR
Im basically getting the minimum maintenence grant. About 3600?

Ive got 300 in my savings. And i get pocket money of my parents every month (dont hate me, its been like this since my sister was little and shes 8years older than me (plus currently to add to the image im giving myself it mainly goes towards my car or horse riding lessons etc).
So add about 210 p/m (tho i wont get 80 of that as its given in cash..) so 130 p/m.

My parents are paying for my accom which is nearly 4000. But more around 3790 or something (im rounding up).

Frustrating thing is that i know my parents earn a lot, but given that dads retired and mums about to it could all change and i dont want to live off an overdraft so im not getting one.

Along with the money side, im relatively near my gma so i can occaisionally grab food off her if i need to. But i plan on giving myself about 40-50 a month for going out or extras like clothes, which would be my left over.

I plan on saving while at uni so im not in hell after

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you've got it figured out. But since your dad is retired and your mum is almost retired, you'll be getting a lot more next year? The overdraft is going to be quite useful for emergency's and such. and you've got your grandma around the corner if you need anything which is great.

What university are you going too?
Is there anyone else that doesn't have a loan, and everything comes from daddy??

From my friendship group, I'm the only one.
Original post by David B
Only £50 a week and you're living at home? I would of thought you got more since you're getting £6100 from Loan + Grant and £3000 in savings

No I will have the money but that's how much I want to budget too incase of unexpected costs later on.. Also I'd be paying about £40 a week on travelling costs.
Original post by überambitious_ox
Is there anyone else that doesn't have a loan, and everything comes from daddy??

I wish I was in that position. The current system is essentially a graduate tax, considering they charge RPI + 3% on the loans, they make so much profit on tertiary education. It's a joke.

Original post by C-Rooney

Just incase you think you're a little miffed by that situation, you'll be so glad when you graduate, and you won't have all those extra £££ in debt over you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by ✈ ✈
Maintenance Loan: £4450
Maintenance Grant: £2300
Bursaries: £1500
Scholarships: £1000
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: £2400

Accommodation Cost: £5375 (43 weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £130

You're able to get both Bursary and Scholarship? My university only allows me to get the Scholarship. Apart from that you've got a nice weekly spend :smile:

Original post by _Morsey_
Personally i think the amount is abhorrent and that the system is unfair, however SF Wales is much better than SF England so i have been lucky in that sense. In an ideal world i would love to build my own Desktop, but i will be studying engineering so i somewhat feel i will need something more portable, so i haven't quite decided yet.

Yeah SF Wales seems a lot more fair on students than SF England.
It's a lot cheaper to build your own desktop and with the money you save from building it yourself, you can buy a small laptop for carrying around the university.

Original post by überambitious_ox

Someone on the first page of this thread isn't getting any Loan or Grant.
Reply 30
Original post by UniSonnCome
No I will have the money but that's how much I want to budget too incase of unexpected costs later on.. Also I'd be paying about £40 a week on travelling costs.

Where are you travelling from and to where?
Reply 31
Maintenance Loan: 0
Maintenance Grant: 0
Bursaries: - don't qualify.
Scholarships: 0
Savings: enough.
Money from Parents: They will help out when needed.

Accommodation Cost: Living at home. (Uni is 20 minutes away)
Original post by David B
You're able to get both Bursary and Scholarship? My university only allows me to get the Scholarship. Apart from that you've got a nice weekly spend :smile:

I'm not sure whether it would technically be classified as a bursary as such, however for lower income families that's how much the university will provide, it's automatic.

The figure I mentioned for scholarship was for attaining very high grades, so it will definitely make life easier!
Reply 33
Original post by C-Rooney
Maintenance Loan: 0
Maintenance Grant: 0
Bursaries: - don't qualify.
Scholarships: 0
Savings: enough.
Money from Parents: They will help out when needed.

Accommodation Cost: Living at home. (Uni is 20 minutes away)

Why are you getting nothing? If it's because you don't want to owe anything more than you have to. The grant is non repayable. So you don't have to pay that back.
Reply 34
Original post by ✈ ✈
I'm not sure whether it would technically be classified as a bursary as such, however for lower income families that's how much the university will provide, it's automatic.

The figure I mentioned for scholarship was for attaining very high grades, so it will definitely make life easier!

If you don't mind me asking, which university are you going to be attending? And what grades did you get?
Reply 35
Original post by David B
What university you going too?

I go to Canterbury Christ Church, going into my final year.
Original post by David B
If you don't mind me asking, which university are you going to be attending? And what grades did you get?

University of Leeds, Aeronautical engineering. And I finished a BTEC (mature student) with D*D*D*
Reply 37
Original post by ✈ ✈
University of Leeds, Aeronautical engineering. And I finished a BTEC (mature student) with D*D*D*

Awesome you got the same grade as me :smile: But your degree sounds interesting just by the name alone.
Original post by David B

Sounds like you've got it figured out. But since your dad is retired and your mum is almost retired, you'll be getting a lot more next year? The overdraft is going to be quite useful for emergency's and such. and you've got your grandma around the corner if you need anything which is great.

What university are you going too?

Nope. Even retired they earn quite a lot. I dont want to have to pay more anyway, so im happy with the loan ive got.
My uni offers those predicted 3 Bs 2500 so hoping to get that (it says nothing anywhere about needing to obtain those grades so i will prove my point and somehow get that).

And i really dont want an overdraft. So money will either go into my normal or savings account :smile: emergencys require thinking outside of the box, and hopefully ive planned methodically enough to not need it. Not to sound like a posh **** but ive always got daddy :wink: hahah.

And my aunt and whole other family that arent my immediate family haha :smile:

Im hoping to go to teesside :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by David B
Awesome you got the same grade as me :smile: But your degree sounds interesting just by the name alone.

What'll you be doing?

Quick Reply

Latest