The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by überambitious_ox
Is there anyone else that doesn't have a loan, and everything comes from daddy??

From my friendship group, I'm the only one.

I could easily, but fees are too high (even if they did pay for 3 children at private shool with higher fees). But i felt i needed to live off my own two feet a bit more.too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by David B
Why are you getting nothing? If it's because you don't want to owe anything more than you have to. The grant is non repayable. So you don't have to pay that back.

SAAS system isn't exactly fair. They calculate your household income before tax which is ridiculous because after tax, the overall income will have reduced, but I don't qualify anyway. After 34k, SAAS consider you to be well-off which again is ridiculous. Education is free in Scotland so I can't really complain.
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost:
£3000? (38 weeks) Applied to a few, not sure which I'll get
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £100
Reply 43
Original post by tk1993
I go to Canterbury Christ Church, going into my final year.

:smile:

Original post by ✈ ✈
What'll you be doing?

Computer Science :smile:

Original post by HarrietROAR
Nope. Even retired they earn quite a lot. I dont want to have to pay more anyway, so im happy with the loan ive got.
My uni offers those predicted 3 Bs 2500 so hoping to get that (it says nothing anywhere about needing to obtain those grades so i will prove my point and somehow get that).

And i really dont want an overdraft. So money will either go into my normal or savings account :smile: emergencys require thinking outside of the box, and hopefully ive planned methodically enough to not need it. Not to sound like a posh **** but ive always got daddy :wink: hahah.

And my aunt and whole other family that arent my immediate family haha :smile:

Im hoping to go to teesside :smile:

Wow that's great and yeah daddy's always there. *cough* and his wallet. So where's teesside? and also what university are you going too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by MagzHarris
Maintenance Loan: £3600
Maintenance Grant: None
Bursaries: None
Scholarships: None
Savings: £600 (so far)
Money from Parents: Id be lucky!!

Accommodation Cost: £5447 For a whole year
Weekly spend after Accommodation: - loads

At the moment im working full time at my job (McDonalds!!
:cry:) to try and save up enough money to afford my accommodation!! i think i will be getting money from my parents but it will be coming out of my mums disability money which student finance dont seem to understand? Ive got to keep my job while im at uni mainly because i get free food in my break so thats what im going to be living off!!:frown:

you should be eligible for some sort of grant from sfe, i would call them and explain your situation
Original post by David B
:smile:

So wheres teesside? And what university are you going to?

Teesside is middlesbrough area. You just asked and i told you! Teesside..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by C-Rooney
SAAS system isn't exactly fair. They calculate your household income before tax which is ridiculous because after tax, the overall income will have reduced, but I don't qualify anyway. After 34k, SAAS consider you to be well-off which again is ridiculous. Education is free in Scotland so I can't really complain.

Yeah I know they aren't fair at all. I myself have been lucky for my parents to earn under the threshold, but other aren't that fortunate. SF target the rich and expect them to pay for their child to go to university.

Original post by Jordanap
Bursaries: £0
Savings: £0

Accommodation Cost:
£3000? (38 weeks) Applied to a few, not sure which I'll get
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £100

That's a good amount of weekly spend and the accommodation is really cheap. I assume your not in London.
Reply 47
Teesside is middlesbrough area. You just asked and i told you! Teesside..

Posted from TSR Mobile

My bad haha. I got mixed up with replying to everybody. :biggrin:
I could easily, but fees are too high (even if they did pay for 3 children at private shool with higher fees). But i felt i needed to live off my own two feet a bit more.too

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough :smile:
Original post by David B

That's a good amount of weekly spend and the accommodation is really cheap. I assume your not in London.

I was late to apply for accommodation so it's just an average of the rubbish that was left aha.
Reply 50
Original post by David B
Yeah I know they aren't fair at all. I myself have been lucky for my parents to earn under the threshold, but other aren't that fortunate. SF target the rich and expect them to pay for their child to go to university.

Yeah I totally agree, it's a joke! Everyone should be assessed equally. My household income is 55k+ before tax and it's not as if we are rich, my mum and dad have bills to pay, cars, gas and electricity and there is four of us (two brothers and one sister) They should make the threshold 70k+, that's when families are well-off and comfortable.
Original post by David B
My bad haha. I got mixed up with replying to everybody. :biggrin:

I figured as such :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I totally agree, it's a joke! Everyone should be assessed equally. My household income is 55k+ before tax and it's not as if we are rich, my mum and dad have bills to pay, cars, gas and electricity and there is four of us (two brothers and one sister) They should make the threshold 70k+, that's when families are well-off and comfortable.

Even above 70k its not easy. I.e. cars, kids, pets, nursing home fees for grandparents, travelling to see family etcetc.
Its tough. And its ****ing frustrating. Especially if youre someone that wants to try and be independent of your family but doesnt want the full shabang.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Jordanap
I was late to apply for accommodation so it's just an average of the rubbish that was left aha.

Lol.

Yeah I agree the threshold should be increased.
Reply 54
Even above 70k its not easy. I.e. cars, kids, pets, nursing home fees for grandparents, travelling to see family etcetc.
Its tough. And its ****ing frustrating. Especially if youre someone that wants to try and be independent of your family but doesnt want the full shabang.

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, it's so unreasonable, and they won't assess you as an independent student until you're 25 or over.
Original post by überambitious_ox
Is there anyone else that doesn't have a loan, and everything comes from daddy??

From my friendship group, I'm the only one.

Me. :O
Original post by Reluctant Economist
Me. :O

Finally found someone haha

Bursaries: £1000 cash payment in year 1, My accommodation was also almost completely subsidized in year 1 (I think I only spent roughly £1000 on accommodation in year 1 If I remember correctly)

Savings: £4000 (If you count bursary from year 1 unspent and money left over from student finance in year 1 due to subsidized accommodation) Other than that, nothing.

Accommodation Cost: In year 1 my accommodation was £79/pw for 42 weeks. My accommodation in 2nd year is £63.50p/w for 50 weeks (£3175)

Weekly spend after Accommodation: After accommodation, I would have to spend £157.48p/w in order to run out of money (completely) However, I actually only spend around £20-30 per week.

If I had a job I would be rolling in moneyz, u jelly? :cool:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by David B

Wow that sucks. But if you managed on the first year you should get by on the 2nd. Doesn't your university offer any funding help? Bursaries and Scholarships?

No scholarships apply to my course and I don't think bursaries do either.... I work all summer though so I save lots of money then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
True, it's so unreasonable, and they won't assess you as an independent student until you're 25 or over.

To be fair i live at home still i just want to be able to live off my own back a bit more. But i dont want the full loan or grant, just a bit more to make it a bit easier if that makes sense..
I just feel bad having lived off them for 17 years and not been able to give anything back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest