The Student Room Group

Post Humanities degree transfer

Hi guys,
I'm about to enter my last year of my degree in international relations, and am on track for a First.
Even before going to sixth form, I had an interest in clinical science, and more specifically medicine. However, due to numerous reasons including my GCSE 'specialties' (or some other nonsense term) and subscription, I was only permitted to take Biology. The problem was, nobody got above a B under our teacher, who taught up to three classes, due to his lack of English, non-existent Science based degree (in stark comparison to the rest of the science faculty, all PhD). While I understand this isn't a real excuse, I do feel it set me back a little.
However, I pushed through, got AABB and a mere C in Biology, wound up at university, but really cannot let the idea of medicine go. My dream is to join the forces as a Medical Officer, and I have taken steps towards this.
Last year I applied for the C&I Access to Medicine course, passed the necessary entrance examinations, but got to interview and was told that I was too young for the design of their course, that I should quit university and redo my A-levels if I really wanted to study medicine, which obviously I found hard to believe and a poor effort, despite my work experience as a CSW, shadowing surgical teams (what an opportunity!) and personal study.
In terms of the Medical officer side of things, I'm all applied to both my University Naval Unit and Air Squadron as an Officer Cadet, so this combined with ongoing work experience I feel might do me some favours on this front.
So what do you guys think I should do? I'm happy to go anywhere in Europe basically, and to undertake whatever I have to. I just cannot let this slip by me without a proper shot at it.
Do let me know.
I appreciate, also, this might not be in the correct forum, so do just correct me if need be!
Cheers!
There are others who could better advise you but there were two things that occurred to me:
(a) have you considered graduate entry medicine? Some of these courses do not require a science degree. You have to achieve a high score in the entrance exam though (UKCAT or GMAT).
(b) you seem open to the idea of going to Europe... Some people do a medical degree in English in Eastern Europe as they have less strict entry requirements and then move to the UK following graduation.
Reply 2
Original post by Hydromancer
There are others who could better advise you but there were two things that occurred to me:
(a) have you considered graduate entry medicine? Some of these courses do not require a science degree. You have to achieve a high score in the entrance exam though (UKCAT or GMAT).
(b) you seem open to the idea of going to Europe... Some people do a medical degree in English in Eastern Europe as they have less strict entry requirements and then move to the UK following graduation.

Hi there! I've thought about the grad entry, but every admissions tutor has told me that it is hugely competitive, and that really 95% of their successful candidates are all science undergrads, with firsts in Biomed/Chem/etc.
I am totally open to the idea of travelling for school, and it is something I'm quite keen to try but know nothing of. If you have any information please do drop it here or PM me. I'd be very interested.
Original post by nmuscat
Hi there! I've thought about the grad entry, but every admissions tutor has told me that it is hugely competitive, and that really 95% of their successful candidates are all science undergrads, with firsts in Biomed/Chem/etc.
I am totally open to the idea of travelling for school, and it is something I'm quite keen to try but know nothing of. If you have any information please do drop it here or PM me. I'd be very interested.

That's completely wrong... a lot of unis don't specify a degree (i'm a humanities grad on a grad entry course and it's 50:50 science to non sciencd) at all and a 2.1 minimum is all that's required a first doesn't matter (apart from at bham).
The main thing is the entrance exams which is ukcat aand gamsat which is a big player in interviews. Then at interviews it's all about who you are and why medicine and how you stand out. I think 3 people of my cohort have a first... The rest have a 2.1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending