The Student Room Group

If somebody gets a degree in Mathematics would you class them as a Mathematician

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Dilzo999
Not too late to start learning. Also why are random words in caps?

Not sure
cambridge maths or gtfo.
Original post by xjay1234
Not sure

Hmm... We need someone on this case :holmes:
Reply 23
Original post by Dalek1099
The whole point is you have to actually do that job at professional level(teacher is secondary level) like how you wouldn't say someone was a Physicist unless they actually worked as a Physicist and being a Physics teacher doesn't cut it because they are only teaching up to secondary school level.If someone told me "oh my brothers a mathematician" I would expect him to be someone like Hawking getting a degree doesn't cut it you have a qualification but you don't actually do the job for a living.There is a little room for debate about whether a lot of scientists working in industry are sort of mathematicians as well but I would want them to be doing some maths research really to be a mathematician.Imagine if someone told you they were a policeman but actually jus had a Police Degree.

So cos a person with a Maths degree that teaches to a certain level (like GCSE LEVEL or A LEVEL) they are not a Mathematicians.

Stephen Hawkins is not a Mathematicians he is a prat I don't like him I have no respect for him.

Well Herman Cain he is a Mathematician NO DOUBT he is a Mathematical GENIUS.

OK SO IF YOU HAVE A PHD IN MATHEMATICS DOES THAT MAKE YOU A MATHEMATICIAN?

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/research/maths/pure-mathematics-phd.aspx

Like here at Birmingham University.

Okay so having a Degree of a PHD in Maths means NOTHING you are NOTHING you have NOTHING infact cos of that you can only be a Mathematician if you research something NEW and SPECTACULAR.

Mathematicians is somebody that is a GENIUS at Maths so why can't a person who got a 1st in Mathematics Degree level be seen as a MATHEMATICAL GENIUS?

So the PHD helps??????
Reply 24
Original post by Kabulkid
cambridge maths or gtfo.

What about Birmingham University getting Mathematics? at PHD level?
Reply 25
Original post by Dilzo999
Hmm... We need someone on this case :holmes:

Are you good at Mathematics?
So cos a person with a Maths degree that teaches to a certain level (like GCSE LEVEL or A LEVEL) they are not a Mathematicians.

Stephen Hawkins is not a Mathematicians he is a prat I don't like him I have no respect for him.

Well Herman Cain he is a Mathematician NO DOUBT he is a Mathematical GENIUS.

OK SO IF YOU HAVE A PHD IN MATHEMATICS DOES THAT MAKE YOU A MATHEMATICIAN?

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/postgraduate/courses/research/maths/pure-mathematics-phd.aspx

Like here at Birmingham University.

Okay so having a Degree of a PHD in Maths means NOTHING you are NOTHING you have NOTHING infact cos of that you can only be a Mathematician if you research something NEW and SPECTACULAR.

Mathematicians is somebody that is a GENIUS at Maths so why can't a person who got a 1st in Mathematics Degree level be seen as a MATHEMATICAL GENIUS?

So the PHD helps??????

You have to earn money with Mathematics as a job you can't just get a PhD.I think that being a Mathematician is a job in my eyes, you can't just say you are one because you have the qualifications.In that way it is also temporary once you fully retire you are no longer a mathematician but you use to be.
Reply 27
Original post by L'Etudiant
You know how in games you rank from level 1 to a 100? I'd say that you'd only be 'qualified' to be called a Mathematician if you are near level 55. That is being in the middle of a challenging undergraduate degree and doing well.

True Mathematicians however are those who dedicate their lives to it - Researchers and Lecturers for example.

Fair enough. But what is there to research in that Mathematics field?
Reply 28
Original post by Dalek1099
You have to earn money with Mathematics as a job you can't just get a PhD.I think that being a Mathematician is a job in my eyes, you can't just say you are one because you have the qualifications.In that way it is also temporary once you fully retire you are no longer a mathematician but you use to be.

What if that person in not interested in making money and they don't care for the money they just want it as an accomplishment and they don't care for the money cos they don't want to have to do do any addition to the ££££££ they would earn.

So to be a Mathematician you have to be earning money then? LOL

So you can't be a BROKE Mathematician only a wealthy one? HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHA

So being a Mathematician is a job okay well lets see what the description of MATHEMATICIAN is and if it says WHEN YOU ARE EARNING MONEY then I will let you off otherwise I will have to continue this.
What about Birmingham University getting Mathematics? at PHD level?

nah, true mathematicians go to cambridge, the others are jus fake.
Reply 30

So where did you do your Maths Degree then????

U sound too weak to study maths
So where did you do your Maths Degree then????

i haven't done a maths degree, i'll be going to study engineering later on this year.
Original post by newblood
U sound too weak to study maths

possibly.
Reply 34
A mathematician is a person with an extensive knowledge of mathematics who uses this knowledge in their work, typically to solvemathematical problems. Mathematics is concerned with numbers, data, collection, quantity, structure, space, models and change.

So really you don't need a JOB to be a MATHEMATICIAN, it says A PERSON THAT USES THEIR MATHS KNOWLEDGE FOR WORK. But that knowledge came from UNIVERSITY MATHS DEGREE so they left that degree a MATHEMATICIAN and they can use their knowledge for WORK if they want or to help a group of people in his spare time for free.

Anyway whatever who cares it is all about the Premier League now nobody cares about Maths.
A mathematician is a person with an extensive knowledge of mathematics who uses this knowledge in their work, typically to solvemathematical problems. Mathematics is concerned with numbers, data, collection, quantity, structure, space, models and change.

So really you don't need a JOB to be a MATHEMATICIAN, it says A PERSON THAT USES THEIR MATHS KNOWLEDGE FOR WORK. But that knowledge came from UNIVERSITY MATHS DEGREE so they left that degree a MATHEMATICIAN and they can use their knowledge for WORK if they want or to help a group of people in his spare time for free.

Anyway whatever who cares it is all about the Premier League now nobody cares about Maths.

That pretty much confirms that you need to use your mathematics in your work a phrase that means in your job.
Are you good at Mathematics?

I'd think so, I'm going to study it at uni.
Fair enough. But what is there to research in that Mathematics field?

The question should be 'What isn't there to research?' There is so much about Mathematics we don't know. It is everywhere and affects so many things.
Mathematician - "an expert in or student of mathematics"

Now that leads to the discussion of ones perception of "expert", but by common sense it certainly does not mean you have to take up a profession in Mathematics to become a Mathematician. In my eyes, a Mathematician is a graduate in Mathematics with a good degree (at least a 2:1) from a top Russel group uni.
i`d say you're a Mathematician (in the traditional sense of the word) if you are an academic - if you are employed in mathematical research (whether or not that may involve conducting lectures if you are on the staff at a University)

I study maths for a hobby - and like to think i`m reasonably good at maths (i know a lot of "tricks" that university level students don`t) - but i`m not a mathematician - i`m just, to paraphrase Sheldon Cooper: "...some shmo..." who`s good ay maths"

Quick Reply

Latest