The Student Room Group

The 2.1 requirement is a joke

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dilzo999
It's always you two bickering, when is the marriage date?

To be fair on sloane, his advice is not poor.

He is making people aware of the pitfalls, so they don't end up like the OP, or myself where I am having to make a career through essentially thinking outside of the box.

THANK **** I DIDNT STUDY LAW. WOULD BE ****ED ATM.
Original post by fat_hobbit
To be fair on sloane, his advice is not poor.

He is making people aware of the pitfalls, so they don't end up like the OP, or myself where I am having to make a career through essentially thinking outside of the box.

THANK **** I DIDNT STUDY LAW. WOULD BE ****ED ATM.

I respect your advice, its just two sides too a coin. Conflict and argument isn't a bad thing because it just shows you the other side. Its good to see the pros and cons of both sides.
Original post by KingKumar
Don't you think they need to standardise the degree system somewhat though? When their is a 2:1 cut off on a job it IS unfair because every uni has a different standard at a 2:1. Since uni's exams are externally marked many markers have noted that, let's say, Oxford's content is more challenging and rigorous than a different uni so a 2:1 is likely (but not always) makes the Oxford 2:1 graduate 'smarter' in that subject than the other 2:1 grad in the same subject.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't know a lot about the system and how classification works exactly.

Just because a 2.1 is the requirement, doesn't mean someone with a 2.1 in Media from Bolton will get a look in. They will probably just be rejected manually, rather than automatically. All the filter means is that no 2.2 is acceptable, even if it's from Oxford.
Original post by SloaneRanger
I respect your advice, its just two sides too a coin. Conflict and argument isn't a bad thing because it just shows you the other side. Its good to see the pros and cons of both sides.

Your advice is practical, if you want to get onto a corporate grad scheme.

But then you go on elitist tangents that's bs tbh.
Original post by TurboCretin
Just because a 2.1 is the requirement, doesn't mean someone with a 2.1 in Media from Bolton will get a look in. They will probably just be rejected manually, rather than automatically. All the filter means is that no 2.2 is acceptable, even if it's from Oxford.

The reality is no one cares by that point. You obviously had to demonstrate something unique to get to the interview,

When you start working in industry and gain commercial experience, people care more about that and how you can make them money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fat_hobbit
The reality is no one cares by that point. You obviously had to demonstrate something unique to get to the interview,

When you start working in industry and gain commercial experience, people care more about that and how you can make them money.

Who said anything about an interview? I'm just talking about the initial sift.
They said the same thing 10 years ago, A-Levels are still the benchmark, most employers turn too! Before that it was O-levels, so the fact is they aren't going anywhere and its becoming ever so important to have a decent set as so many employers won't touch you with out a good set.

As I've previously mentioned my husband have really bad A level grades and yet he's got a job at a very good company so I beg to differ.

The fact that OP who has good A levels created this thread also explains a lot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurboCretin

I beg to differ. My 2.1 in Media hasn't stopped me so far. In fact I went to an interview where they were fairly curious about my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Its a broken system when a 2.1 from Greenwich can open a door a 2.2 in MORSE can not.

Its exceptionally lazy recruiting.
How is it, it goes with what the rest of society conforms to elitism based on society/status and moolah. He is in that position from bad A-levels and bad university. It goes to show get a good set of A-levels and 2:1. Yeah, experiences are priceless you can't buy them, even watching them on youtube can do so much.

A Levels are not the be-all and end-all measurement of intelligence. They're standardized tests, taken by 16-18 year olds who may or may not know what they want to do in life. Many are too immature and unmotivated.

I know I was, and my boyfriend too.
I got decent grades in GCSE's but then completely fell apart at A-Levels. I just didn't have the maturity or discipline to work independently and spent too much time enjoying myself. I got crap A Level marks, but managed to scrap for a uni place at an ex-poly.
Boyfriend did the same.

We both ended up maturing at university and really increasing the gears in terms of work. I graduated with a 2.1 and went on to a grad scheme where I have since passed a tough 3 year professional qualification whilst working (so I'm clearly not dumb and haven't cheated the system)

My boyfriend went on to do a masters at LSE and gained a distinction and was approached to do a PHD, but he rejected it for working life.

We weren't dumb. Many people who failed A levels aren't dumb. We just matured later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is because there are too many graduates being produced and employers have to narrow the field somehow just to make the number of applications manageable.

If only this simple fact was was spelt out to school-leavers - you do not need a degree to get a job and having one will not guarantee you one - vast numbers of people would avoid the acute sense of betrayal and disappointment the OP is feeling.

Sadly neither the government (who have a fixation with a 'degree qualified workforce' regardless of the quality of the degrees, and a vested interest in keeping school leavers off the dole) nor the Universities (projecting the assumption that degrees in silly subjects like Tourism or Creative Writing will get you a job) will tell you the truth and continue to funnel 18 year olds into a Uni degree (and debt) they dont actually need.

Schools think its fabulous they can proclaim how many of their Year 13s 'get into Uni' each year without much thought about why they are doing this. If you want to rant at someone, start with the teachers who told you that going to Uni was the pinnacle of achievement.
(edited 9 years ago)
Agree. It's absolutely ridiculous! I got a 2:2 in Civil Engineering, which is one of the harder degrees out there and people with a 2:1 in joke degrees like Management or similar are better off. If I knew that beforehand, I would've as well just taken up a course like that and completely aced it!

I know they're jokes (at least at my uni) because I've taken a few of their modules and all they teach is common sense and they have exams where you need to know only 2 out of 8 topics and a lot of exams are just MPQs. Absolute disgrace!
Original post by Brit_Miller
I graduated top of my year but didn't do A-Levels. Feel your pain :lol:

What was your degree and where did you go?
Original post by muffingg
Agree. It's absolutely ridiculous! I got a 2:2 in Civil Engineering, which is one of the harder degrees out there and people with a 2:1 in joke degrees like Management or similar are better off. If I knew that beforehand, I would've as well just taken up a course like that and completely aced it!

I know they're jokes (at least at my uni) because I've taken a few of their modules and all they teach is common sense and they have exams where you need to know only 2 out of 8 topics and a lot of exams are just MPQs. Absolute disgrace!

I agree that there should be some sort of standardisation of marks across subjects, or consideration of degree subject studied.

However, I think people are just giving excuses as to why they didn't make the 2.1 mark if they literally only went to uni and did nothing on the side like a job to support themselves.

You have all the time in the world to study, and ensure yourself the 2.1. Especially in a STEM subject where it is easier to get a 2.1 as you either know it or you don't.

If I were an employer, I'd take a 1st at a polytechnic over a 2.2 at a RG any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _-_Ella_-_
What was your degree and where did you go?

I did a maths degree at UWE. I have actually sorted out what I'm doing but when I was looking at jobs before, I would've been filtered out straight away because I did an access course which has no ucas equivalence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Works both ways. I didn't do so well in A-Levels, but got a high-ish 2:1 at University. Then, while applying for graduate roles I saw ridiculous A-Level requirements. Seems that whatever you do, you're ****ed.
Original post by returnmigrant
This is because there are too many graduates being produced and employers have to narrow the field somehow just to make the number of applications manageable.

If only this simple fact was was spelt out to school-leavers - you do not need a degree to get a job and having one will not guarantee you one - vast numbers of people would avoid themselves the acute sense of betrayal and disappointment the OP is feeling.

Sadly neither the government (who have a fixation with a 'degree qualified workforce' regardless of the quality of the degrees, and a vested interest in keeping school leavers off the dole) nor the Universities (projecting the assumption that degrees in silly subjects like Tourism or Creative Writing will get you a job) will tell you the truth and continue to funnel 18 year olds into a Uni degree (and debt) they dont actually need.

Schools think its fabulous they can proclaim how many of their Year 13s 'get into Uni' each year without much thought about why they are doing this. If you want to rant at someone, start with the teachers who told you that going to Uni was the pinnacle of achievement.

PRSOM - although I don't think I've rated you before!

Stop whining about how tough life is, get a job with a smaller employer and apply to larger ones when you have a track record. After the first couple of years no-one cares much about your class of degree or your A levels.
Reply 97
Original post by Pipsico
I agree that there should be some sort of standardisation of marks across subjects, or consideration of degree subject studied.

However, I think people are just giving excuses as to why they didn't make the 2.1 mark if they literally only went to uni and did nothing on the side like a job to support themselves.

You have all the time in the world to study, and ensure yourself the 2.1. Especially in a STEM subject where it is easier to get a 2.1 as you either know it or you don't.

If I were an employer, I'd take a 1st at a polytechnic over a 2.2 at a RG any day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have all the time in the world to study actually. It's the total opposite in uni. You need dedication and planning to create time for yourself in order to get the best grade. That's my advice to anybody going into doing a degree.
Also, the fact that you either know it or you don't means it's harder to get a 2:1 in STEM subjects. There's a lot greater spread in STEM subjects. People who know - often get firsts. People who don't know - will miss the 2:1 mark.

Original post by a10
I'm done talking with you, pointless argument here. Believe what you want to believe and see where that gets you :smile:

Original post by Sanctimonious
You should have tried harder tbh. I got a 2:1 and I deserve it for working so hard but I also played hard which is why I didn't get a 1st. You only have yourself to blame. No point crying about it on TSR.

Who's to say that the OP didn't try harder than those who got 2:1s on other courses/unis?
Are you saying all of the >40% (not sure if includes drop-outs) on the MORSE programme didn't try hard?

I studied for a degree at Russell Group Uni. I found it hard, but doable. I didn't get a 'good' result.
I compared my work with friends from other unis. Actually, the work was incomparable. I could not understand the work that a friend was required to do at a better university than me. The course is well known to be even tougher at Oxbridge, to which I've also sampled the standard.
On the other hand, my friends at other non-RG unis were asking me for help. I could spent a little amount of time helping them for e.g. on coursework. When I had my own coursework, it would take an age to only get the same result on the same module.

Now, I'm on another course at 'lower' non-RG uni. I would never have thought during my previous degree that a degree could be this easy!

Have you had any experiences of different unis, different courses? Trust me, they level of difficulty varies.

A 2:2 on the MORSE programme is nothing to be ashamed of. (Even if you feel you could have done a bit better.)

Original post by Huskaris
Its a broken system when a 2.1 from Greenwich can open a door a 2.2 in MORSE can not.

This. But, it's safe to say that we would all do this if we were recruiting, unless we were a small company.

From experience, work candidates from better unis tend to be be selected over candidates from poorer unis. There will be only some companies that take the uni into account. Mostly, it's down to the fact that candidates from top unis are cleverer. Only a few deserving candidates from lesser unis will secure top jobs.

In conclusion, I understand where you are coming from OP. You don't even get a chance to prove yourself. However, it's pretty likely that candidates who end up getting the job are doing so on full merit.
Original post by donutaud15
I beg to differ. My 2.1 in Media hasn't stopped me so far. In fact I went to an interview where they were fairly curious about my degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad that you have been doing well post-graduation. I'm not saying that such grads would be unemployable. My point was that just because 2.2 candidates are indiscriminately filtered out, doesn't mean that all 2.1 degrees are considered equal.
Original post by Huskaris

What?
If I was a recruiter and I had to review two applicants who both majored in Computer science - one from Greenwich with a 2.1 and the other from Warwick with a 2.2, I would take the Greenwich applicant.

Is it not obvious why I would take the Greenwich applicant?

And to the OP.
Yes these requirements are harsh but the reality is, these companies have a large number of applicants and you just have to deal with it. It might be considered unfair but this is how they filter out applicants.

I graduated from a top5 Computer Science University with a First class degree and I also achieved A*AA for my A levels. Now I have seen some companies that require a B in GCSE English. Guess what, I achieved a C... I was unable to apply to these grad schemes. Given that my degree was all in English - all the theoretical knowledge, ideas and projects including my dissertation. Would you say that this defeats the B in GCSE English requirement? Sadly for some companies, it does not. I have to live with it.
But I am happy that majority of the companies do not have this English GCSE requirement - most Investment Banking companies and IT companies such as IBM, Google, Microsoft, Accenture have no such requirement.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending