The Student Room Group

Better a 2.1 in an "easy" subject or 2:2 in a "hard" one.

Given that a lot of grad schemes have minimum 2:1 requirement, is it better to go for an "easy" subject and get a 2:1 or stick with a harder one and risk getting a 2:2?

I am not specifying what is easy and hard, that depends on the individual to a large extent.
Reply 1
Original post by Maker
Given that a lot of grad schemes have minimum 2:1 requirement, is it better to go for an "easy" subject and get a 2:1 or stick with a harder one and risk getting a 2:2?

I am not specifying what is easy and hard, that depends on the individual to a large extent.

Whether the subject is "easy" or not -- which is very subjective anyway -- is irrelevant. If you love your subject and have a genuine interest in it than a 2:1 should be easily as hell to attain..

Have fun..
Original post by Kasa
Whether the subject is "easy" or not -- which is very subjective anyway -- is irrelevant. If you love your subject and have a genuine interest in it than a 2:1 should be easily as hell to attain..

Have fun..

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
No degree is 'easy' - it's about serious hard work.

2:2 is laziness in my opinion. Whether you are academically impressive, a 2:1 is achievable for anybody who puts in the ground-work during the three/four year course.
Reply 4
2:1 in easy subject is bettet
A 2:1 is not easy to get particularly if you have stupid lecturers and littl support from your uni
2:1 is objectively better than 2:2.

Saying that though, if you have to ask yourself whether you'd rather do an 'easier' degree for a chance of a better grade, you need to get your priorities straight.
Any subject you enjoy is easy, one you are uninterested in is hard.

If you do a subject you're not interested in and is 'hard' and get a 2:1 what makes you so sure you'll get the job over someone who actually enjoys it?
Do what you want, forget prestige, you can make that subject prestigious through your performance and by making a name for the subject.
I don't think it's correct to assume it's as simple as switching to an 'easier' course and gaining a grade.

final classification seems to have a lot to do with maintaining your motivation especially in the final year when you typically have to produce a large piece of independent project work/dissertation.

even people who love their subject can get fed up in the final year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending