The Student Room Group

Worried about not having enough money because finance loan is too small

Right now I'm living with my dad and have applied for my student finance loan. Based on his income we've worked out I should be entitled to around 6.5k from maintenance loan and grant.

Unfortunately my dad has waited until now to tell me that he's refusing to sign any details into my application as a sponsor. For reasons he's refusing to divulge, he doesn't want to sign over any information to the organisation.

Thus I'm only entitled to the minimum loan of £3300~ and he wont be able to send me any money to help me out.

What are my options here? Honestly at this point I really dont mind having to rely on an overdraft to live and paying it off through working if it means not having to rely on my parent's non-existent aid, because I'm really falling out with them over this
Original post by Dawge
Right now I'm living with my dad and have applied for my student finance loan. Based on his income we've worked out I should be entitled to around 6.5k from maintenance loan and grant.

Unfortunately my dad has waited until now to tell me that he's refusing to sign any details into my application as a sponsor. For reasons he's refusing to divulge, he doesn't want to sign over any information to the organisation.

Thus I'm only entitled to the minimum loan of £3300~ and he wont be able to send me any money to help me out.

What are my options here? Honestly at this point I really dont mind having to rely on an overdraft to live and paying it off through working if it means not having to rely on my parent's non-existent aid, because I'm really falling out with them over this

Most likely explanation is that he isn't being honest with other people (your mother?) about his income and thinks no-one will find out this way, although it's a real give-away. Ask your university if they can provide any support but probably you'll have to work and rely on an overdraft.
Reply 2
Original post by parentlurker
Most likely explanation is that he isn't being honest with other people (your mother?) about his income and thinks no-one will find out this way, although it's a real give-away. Ask your university if they can provide any support but probably you'll have to work and rely on an overdraft.

I have a pretty good idea of why he's being dishonest about his income. But obviously for legal reasons I'm not gonna be blabbing about them on here.

I'll talk to the university to see what support is available regardless, but looks like I'm gonna be working this one off
Reply 3
Original post by Dawge
I have a pretty good idea of why he's being dishonest about his income. But obviously for legal reasons I'm not gonna be blabbing about them on here.

I'll talk to the university to see what support is available regardless, but looks like I'm gonna be working this one off

So reading between the lines, your Dad earns far more than he's willing to make official by going on the record to Student Finance.

You can apply for the basic non-means tested Maintenance Loan, but your Dad can still give you money on top if he has more at his disposal than he wants to make public. He can contribute to your uni costs without that being made known to anyone else.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
So reading between the lines, your Dad earns far more than he's willing to make official by going on the record to Student Finance.

You can apply for the basic non-means tested Maintenance Loan, but your Dad can still give you money on top if he has more at his disposal than he wants to make public. He can contribute to your uni costs without that being made known to anyone else.

Thats not the situation. My dad genuinely doesn't have money at his disposal nor does he earn that much. If he was to go on the record to student finance we would legitimately be eligible to around 3k maintenance grant I think. Certainly a lot more than no grant at all.

I'm pretty sure my dad doesn't want to go on record because he's worried about his tax dealings (Or lack thereof) in the last few years and doesn't want to give any information that could land him in hot water
Reply 5
Original post by Dawge

Contact your Universities Finance team.

They have bursaries available for people with low income and you can also apply for the National Scholarship.
Original post by OllieDS
Contact your Universities Finance team.

They have bursaries available for people with low income and you can also apply for the National Scholarship.

Only if you share income information with them on student finance
Original post by Dawge
Thats not the situation. My dad genuinely doesn't have money at his disposal nor does he earn that much. If he was to go on the record to student finance we would legitimately be eligible to around 3k maintenance grant I think. Certainly a lot more than no grant at all.

I'm pretty sure my dad doesn't want to go on record because he's worried about his tax dealings (Or lack thereof) in the last few years and doesn't want to give any information that could land him in hot water

Unfortunately if he hasn't done a tax return student finance ask a LOT of questions. However if he has done a tax return they will check his declared income against it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending