The Student Room Group

Cambridge Chemistry Challenge

Scroll to see replies

The two people who got the top mark are both from Winchester College btw
Original post by Lolwhynot
The two people who got the top mark are both from Winchester College btw

How are Winchester so ridiculously good?!
Original post by Protoxylic
Anybody got their certificates and trophies yet?

The school pinned my certificate on the notice board for display since it was the first Rg in school's history, I don't think I'm gonna have it back.:s-smilie:

Also the glass cube was given to the school rather than pupil. I'd wish they give us trophies.
Original post by allstar1996
How are Winchester so ridiculously good?!

Which answer do you want?

I expect they have excellent teaching coupled with the Cambridge PreU course, which teaches a bit more content than a typical A-level.

I expect they have a very selective intake: if you start with the best, you should get the best results.

Or the cynical answer: the teachers have access to the paper before the students sit it. If you want to appear at the top of the list, you coach your students.
Original post by Pigster
Which answer do you want?

I expect they have excellent teaching coupled with the Cambridge PreU course, which teaches a bit more content than a typical A-level.

I expect they have a very selective intake: if you start with the best, you should get the best results.

Or the cynical answer: the teachers have access to the paper before the students sit it. If you want to appear at the top of the list, you coach your students.

That's the sad part about the Chemistry challenge, there is an element of suspicion that anybody with a high mark (top 1-2 percent) had been coached, or worse, got told the questions before the exam. However, I try to feel optimistic about the whole thing given the the students that sit it should have the decency to at least sit it properly given that it is a paper prospective students put on their personal statements.
Considering Winchester's place near the top of the UK's independent schools' league table, there must be a pressure to do well in competitions like this. I too hope that it was done properly there and at all schools. Or am I just naïve?

I can only tell you about how I did it in my school and hope that you trust me: I didn't show or discuss the paper with other staff and resisted all temptation to discuss it with the students, beyond my thoughts that it was a little harder than previous years. But given that our school is also near the top of the league tables, do you still trust me?

Congratulations to Winchester's students, they no doubt deserve the accolade; if, year after year, the top placed students went to a school who appeared 100th in the league tables, then I'd be extremely suspicious.
Reply 2946
anyone going on the course and does anyone know what to expect?
Still haven't got my results I'm so annoyed! :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In the current challenge, who is the guy holding fireworks?
Original post by amtheril
In the current challenge, who is the guy holding fireworks?

Hint: he founded the only remaining company that manufactures display fireworks in the UK
Original post by fizzers
Hint: he founded the only remaining company that manufactures display fireworks in the UK

I cant find any dates of this guy - do you know when he was born/died?

Never neglect the backgrounds in c3l6!
Reply 2952
Is anyone here going to the course at St Catherines?
Original post by Ghys
Is anyone here going to the course at St Catherines?

Yeah, I think there are two though... I'm going from the 28th August to the 1st September. My actual name is Rory McMillan, so if I'm on the same one as you you'll probably be able to find me in the email.
Reply 2954
Yeah, there must be two of them, I'm going from 26-29th so not the same one.
Original post by Ghys
Yeah, there must be two of them, I'm going from 26-29th so not the same one.

Ahh I guess I won't see you there! What mark did you get btw?
Reply 2956
Original post by mcmillanr
Ahh I guess I won't see you there! What mark did you get btw?

Only 42, I really scraped in, you?
Reply 2957

Spoiler

Original post by Ghys
Only 42, I really scraped in, you?

Haha I managed to get 46! - Nothing compared to the 56 from Winchester though (but I guess the teaching there helps).
Not sure if anyone is still looking at this thread... But anyway, is anyone apart from Ghys going on the camp?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest