The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A family friend we've known for years is a Freemason, pretty sure he's got no plans to take over the world.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
A family friend we've known for years is a Freemason, pretty sure he's got no plans to take over the world.

I've heard a lot about them but i don't have much knowledge about them. what exactly do they believe?
Reply 4
It's all crap really. A secret society who run the whole world? Yeah very likely story

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by presidential_
I've heard a lot about them but i don't have much knowledge about them. what exactly do they believe?

Sod all in that respect. They are, in essence, a charity group. They're basically the same as the Rotary Club or the Lions, but have this idiotic conspiracy built up about them when other almost identical organisations have nothing.
It's not like he's gonna tell you about his plans to take over the world
Reply 7
Original post by HarryJamesPotter
It's not like he's gonna tell you about his plans to take over the world

My Dad was invited to join the Masons.

The reason? He was a relatively well known folk musician in the area he lived in.

Clearly, every diabolical scheme to take over the world requires folk musicians....

(He turned it down)

My grandfather was one. My father was offered a place but refused.

They don't really have a set belief beyond looking out for one another. They have a pre-requisite that you need to believe in a higher power (although continental freemason controversial [to the masons] doesn't have this) but everything is managed at a regional level so what the freemasons actually do varys.
Reply 9
i personally think there may be secret societies pulling the strings behind everything, but i find it funny when people point to this group called "illuminati" whenever they see a triangle.

But the illuminati invented triangles! So the triangle must have been a result of them, because otherwise they wouldn't have been invented.
Reply 10
If you closely look at the history of illuminati, you will find that it was created hundreds of years ago by a number of very smart people who wanted to encourage freethinking which was opposed by the state ruled church at that time. Illuminati translates roughly to mean something like englightenment (I.e. so that the truth is revealed). Obviously the church did not agree with this so they soon started to brand members of the society devil worshippers. The people in the media such as jay-z that are often seen signing their alleged symbols are only doing it for attention as they know that it'll make them more popular and noticed.
The conspiracy theories were made by religious leaders trying to scare people into clinging onto the church by claiming illuminati or Freemasons are trying to start a new world order.
Original post by Gwilym101
My grandfather was one. My father was offered a place but refused.

They don't really have a set belief beyond looking out for one another. They have a pre-requisite that you need to believe in a higher power (although continental freemason controversial [to the masons] doesn't have this) but everything is managed at a regional level so what the freemasons actually do varys.

so its essentially like the brownies but for grown men?
Most of the people in the music industry are part of the illuminati for example:
Rihanna, Jay Z, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus etc.
Original post by lerjj
But the illuminati invented triangles! So the triangle must have been a result of them, because otherwise they wouldn't have been invented.

:laugh:
Original post by Drewski
Sod all in that respect. They are, in essence, a charity group. They're basically the same as the Rotary Club or the Lions, but have this idiotic conspiracy built up about them when other almost identical organisations have nothing.

so all that weird symbolism and rituals are just rumors?
Most of the people in the music industry are part of the illuminati for example:

No they aren't, the illuminati haven't existed for hundreds of years

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you believe they are working for a higher power in order to brainwash us?
so its essentially like the brownies but for grown men?

The description I've heard is dress up for men. They largely today keep to themselves, police in the UK were ordered to disclose their membership if they were a member, but didn't find any evidence of wrongdoing. They're not an evil cult or anything, they could do with being a bit more modern (there's an issue of female members at the moment as to whether or not they're full members) but it is pretty much a social club.
Reply 18
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
No they aren't, the illuminati haven't existed for hundreds of years

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they've existed for thousands of years.
Original post by Gwilym101
The description I've heard is dress up for men. They largely today keep to themselves, police in the UK were ordered to disclose their membership if they were a member, but didn't find any evidence of wrongdoing. They're not an evil cult or anything, they could do with being a bit more modern (there's an issue of female members at the moment as to whether or not they're full members) but it is pretty much a social club.

thanks for the info :smile:

Latest