The Student Room Group

Why do some people only "tolerate" gays?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Olie
What, why :lolwut:

How are they any more disgusting or annoying than bigoted, sexist, homophobic 'lads' who go around shouting about how many 'chicks' they've slept with?

But yeah, the same old intolerant, hateful attitudes are coming out on this thread, like the classic perception that ALL gay people fit the exuberant, feminine, high-pitched voice stereotype which plainly isn't true. And I can never understand the views of the right on homosexuality who will always spout the same old rubbish like 'Oh its a liberal gay agenda blah blah blah...', as if the increased tolerance towards homosexuality and the LGBT community in the 21st century is somehow a bad thing. I mean just look at countries like Russia where you get beaten up and tortured simply because of your sexuality, how on earth can any decent person want that in their society, they're human beings who just happen to have different sexual preferences to you through no fault of their own, why do they deserve to be treated like aliens or be treated any differently to anyone else, when homosexuality has existed for 1000s of years.

In a later post I said I also don't like the 'lad' attitude you described. Plus I said "some", not all gay people.

I don't know why I find it disgusting when some (some being a key word) gay people act overly feminine, but I just do. I don't go around spouting my opinions making them public either. It's funny how you emphasise the word "all" when I specifically said "some" too.
Are we suppose to bum them too?
they like to do sex in the poo-whole which a lot of people dont like to do, but they tolerate that behaviour as long as its private.
Original post by Anonymous
they like to do sex in the poo-whole which a lot of people dont like to do, but they tolerate that behaviour as long as its private.

More heterosexuals do it than gays, so that's a stupid argument.
Original post by The vampire
Are we suppose to bum them too?

Nope, just treat them with respect and like an actual person instead of a tolerable disease. But if you want to do that to them then go ahead.
Reply 105

Why appear anonymous?

I'm going to assume here... If you're not okay with being openly gay, why expect others to do so?
Original post by Jubz1
Why appear anonymous?

I'm going to assume here... If you're not okay with being openly gay, why expect others to do so?

I'm not homosexual aha. I stated that earlier so why don't you actually read the posts before putting your pennys worth in.
Some people will never accept it as it goes against their beliefs. However, they'll never mistreat a gay person thus they tolerate them. I fail to see how that's homophobic.
Nope, just treat them with respect and like an actual person instead of a tolerable disease. But if you want to do that to them then go ahead.

I already treat them with respect. I don't have a dick so I can't do that even if I wanted to. :colondollar:
Reply 109
I'm not homosexual aha. I stated that earlier so why don't you actually read the posts before putting your pennys worth in.

Sorry, didn't feel like reading the other five pages, my bad. What's your reason then?
Original post by Jubz1
Sorry, didn't feel like reading the other five pages, my bad. What's your reason then?

For what? I haven't asked anyone to do more than tolerate; I asked to see what everyone else had to say. I have personal experience with this sort of thing from gay friends and gay family members. So, I just wanted to express a point.
Reply 111
For what? I haven't asked anyone to do more than tolerate; I asked to see what everyone else had to say. I have personal experience with this sort of thing from gay friends and gay family members. So, I just wanted to express a point.

For appearing anonymous, i'm just curious.
Excuse me OP, but what do you mean by 'only' toleration? What does toleration in this sense mean to you? Is it the same as acceptance or different?
"I can't tolerate people whose views of homosexuals differ from mine" - OP, 2014.

If people "only" tolerate homosexuals, that is their prerogative. They are more than welcome to having their views and opinions, just like anybody else. That's the beauty of freedom of expression, speech and opinion.
(edited 9 years ago)
I find it ridiculous also. Many of my friends have stated that they hate seeing gay couples kissing in public because they're "showing off their gayness". Just no, stop being immature. Straight couples kiss in public and they're not "shoving their straightness in your face" are they. Some of my female friends have also stated how they wouldn't be friends with lesbian/bisexual girls in case they "came on to me", yet they have straight male friends that could also "come on to them". It annoys me how some people have such pathetic views. Some people are gay, get over it.
Reply 115
Original post by Jordanap
I think before he didn't know - he kissed girls and even fingered one at the back of a cinema. He went away for summer 'straight' and when he came back to school he was gay and his voice and actions changed

I know where you are coming from with this and have no problem with gays. There was a guy at my school who came out as gay and he changed his name and all kinds of ****. I know this probobly isnt a regular occurance but i have to admit its kind of annoying how someone can just change completly as a person. But whatever makes 'em happy i guess it doesnt really affect me.
Some people may object to it on principle because of religions or other personal beliefs but tolerance is encouraged so it's essentially meeting them half-way. Better than what happens in many other countries I'd say :smile:
Original post by LydiaFirefly<3
I find it ridiculous also. Many of my friends have stated that they hate seeing gay couples kissing in public because they're "showing off their gayness". Just no, stop being immature. Straight couples kiss in public and they're not "shoving their straightness in your face" are they. Some of my female friends have also stated how they wouldn't be friends with lesbian/bisexual girls in case they "came on to me", yet they have straight male friends that could also "come on to them". It annoys me how some people have such pathetic views. Some people are gay, get over it.

I agree.
More heterosexuals do it than gays, so that's a stupid argument.

those people are weird too. most people find doing a sex in the poo-hole very odd and wouldnt want to do it . in general people willl 'tolerate' odd behaviour but they will not copy it
I tolerate gays because I don't agree with their choice of partner. It is the same way as I would tolerate one of my girls dating a significantly older man, or dating someone who cheated on them previously - I wouldn't agree with it, but I would tolerate it, i wouldn't reprimand/ punish my friend or someone who is gay, for that sole reason, because tbh, it's nothing to do with me who they choose to be with. As long as they treat me fine, I'm happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending