The Student Room Group

Further maths shtuff

This year I've taken:

Maths
Accounting
ICT

I've recently decided I want to do Maths at university as I like it the most, I got A* at GCSE. Pretty confident I'm going to get an A in AS maths.

My school is offering to let me do Further maths AS and A2 in year 13, should I? because what will happen is I will turn up to the year 12's lessons to do AS with them and then self teach A2 further maths. Is this a good idea or should I just stick with doing just AS. Will universities be ok with me doing just AS and saying my school only offers further maths at an AS level?

Just to point out I am willing to work very hard on this further maths, like literally hours and hours a week, I don't have a job or anything I have tonnes of free time, just asking whether anybody thinks it's possible to self teach A2 further maths and whether it's worth it if i potentially screw up and get a B or something.
Reply 1
bump
You can of course ask the Maths forum if you're stuck on anything, nothing's stopping you from doing A2 Further Maths by yourself if you can't do it at school
Reply 3
Original post by shawn_o1
You can of course ask the Maths forum if you're stuck on anything, nothing's stopping you from doing A2 Further Maths by yourself if you can't do it at school

That's true, I'll wait for my AS results and then decide whether i'm doing it or not.

Realistically i'm looking to get:
Core 1: 90
Core 2: 100
Decision 1: 85
(UMS)

If I get these (or close to) I will consider doing it.
well if you are gonna do maths at uni then i would strongly advise you to do further maths now, and step exams. I recently finished my a2 year and waiting for my results. I decided to self teach myself a2 further maths, if you are good at then do it with hard work you can.

ps my school does f maths and i didnt do the full a level at the time of sending my ucas application off, i was only studying for as maths at the time, and i think that's one of the reasons for not being accpeted into either oxford or imperial for my degree course
Reply 5
Original post by Ilovemaths96
well if you are gonna do maths at uni then i would strongly advise you to do further maths now, and step exams. I recently finished my a2 year and waiting for my results. I decided to self teach myself a2 further maths, if you are good at then do it with hard work you can.

ps my school does f maths and i didnt do the full a level at the time of sending my ucas application off, i was only studying for as maths at the time, and i think that's one of the reasons for not being accpeted into either oxford or imperial for my degree course

Thanks for the help,

I think I am pretty good at maths, didn't really even try at GCSE and got an A* (then again nobody did). Grasped AS maths fairly quickly.

So I might just try it, Would a university take into consideration the fact that I am doing AS and A2 in one year and self teaching the A2 part and make my offer a bit nicer?

Quick Reply

Latest