The Student Room Group

Girls, what are the traits of your ideal guy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Technetium
Maybe there's hope after all!

Funnily enough I'm in a rap group called The People's Hope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I would say I like to be like that. It just takes a while to get over the hump before I feel I can talk like that with someone. That and I need time to recharge on my own after long periods of social interaction. The problem is that attracting someone is based heavily on initial appearances and interactions, which I am **** at. :/

Ahh I see. I know what you mean, I like to describe myself as an extrovert with introverted tendencies so whilst I find it easy to be expressive around people I am partial to some 'alone time'.

Indeed it is and it does suck for individuals who are quite shy and all I can say to you is to try. It is hard especially when you're not used to being the 'loud one' or overly social but you don't have to be. If you're interested in a girl or around a group of new people you just have to give them a little insight into the true depth of your character. You can't be quiet and expect them to assume that you're a nice person/ interesting individual because they won't and thus won't probe any further.
What about shy introverted guys?

Or are they an anaphrodisiac?

In the past I've only had crushes on shy introverts. Although this may be partly due to the fact that I'm slightly introvert myself, as I find we have similar tendancies. I don't like it when guys are too in-your-face. And I find value in opening up to only a selective number of people.

However I've noticed the introvert guys are always pursuing and trying to get the attention of the loud, obnoxious girl. And they are not even aware of, or they simply ignore, the fact that the shy girl may want to date them.
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa
In the past I've only had crushes on shy introverts. Although this may be partly due to the fact that I'm slightly introvert myself, as I find we have similar tendancies. I don't like it when guys are too in-your-face. And I find value in opening up to only a selective number of people.

However I've noticed the introvert guys are always pursuing and trying to get the attention of the loud, obnoxious girl. And they are not even aware of, or they simply ignore, the fact that the shy girl may want to date them.

Well the loud obnoxious ones scare me :tongue:

Original post by Technetium

Indeed it is and it does suck for individuals who are quite shy and all I can say to you is to try. It is hard especially when you're not used to being the 'loud one' or overly social but you don't have to be. If you're interested in a girl or around a group of new people you just have to give them a little insight into the true depth of your character. You can't be quiet and expect them to assume that you're a nice person/ interesting individual because they won't and thus won't probe any further.

Ye I don't blame them or expect them to be able to read minds. It's just annoying thinking about the potential girlfriends I could have had shot at getting if I was better at it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rodger
This thread is troubling to me. Many women have said that they seek intelligence, humor and good looks in a partner. I have all of these traits in ample quantities, yet I have remained single my entire life.

Girls are as much attracted to social behaviour as they are to looks.

You'll notice the most charasmatic , confident , even arrogant guys have no problems getting into relationships , this is because they're behavior is attractive . Shy , socially awkward , boring guys on the other hand will most likely remain single until they change or a minority of girls is attracted to them.

Change your attitude , having self pity isn't attractive.
Well the loud obnoxious ones scare me :tongue:

Indeed, they scare me too. But at least they get what they came for -- attention. And from the guys in particular :frown:
Original post by blueskyblue

You'll notice the most charasmatic , confident , even arrogant guys have no problems getting into relationships , this is because they're behavior is attractive . Shy , socially awkward , boring guys on the other hand will most likely remain single until they change or a minority of girls is attracted to them.

Lol.

If a good looking guy is "shy" and nice he's mysterious and charming.

If a good looking guy is an obnoxious douchebag he's spontaneous and thrilling.

What matters is look.

If an average looking guy is shy and nice he's boring and a creep.

If an average looking guy is an obnoxious douchebag he's rude and has an inferiority complex.

The elephant in the room which no one likes to discuss is looks. It's not even the difference between below average/ugly guys and average guys but its that even average women don't consider you unless you're good looking and above average.

I can't believe you just give that guy a serious reply :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

To equate initial introvertedness/shyness to that person being boring is idiotic. Most introverts are actually quite extroverted, once they are comfortable. Being initially quiet is a positive sign, normally it means the person is just assessing the others.
Original post by what is this
Lol.

If a good looking guy is "shy" and nice he's mysterious and charming.

If a good looking guy is an obnoxious douchebag he's spontaneous and thrilling.

What matters is look.

If an average looking guy is shy and nice he's boring and a creep.

If an average looking guy is an obnoxious douchebag he's rude and has an inferiority complex.

The elephant in the room which no one likes to discuss is looks. It's not even the difference between below average/ugly guys and average guys but its that even average women don't consider you unless you're good looking and above average.

This is all bull**** , girls are less discriminative on looks providing you have other things going for you. Its always on the internet you seem to come across types like yourself , in real life there are plenty of ugly guys and girls who have successful relationships :confused:.

Its true people like this exist but they die out at the age everyone realizes looks don't mean successful relationships.

Original post by MrEFeynman
To equate initial introvertedness/shyness to that person being boring is idiotic. Most introverts are actually quite extroverted, once they are comfortable. Being initially quiet is a positive sign, normally it means the person is just assessing the others.

First of all being an introvert is very different to being shy.
Its perfectly possible for introverts to be socially competent , shyness however usually suggests some social deficiency until they are comfortable with the person.

I actually didn't equate them , but some guys who are introverted probably come off more boring then the extroverted type guys , its all observations mate.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it says alot about you that you continuously fall for such types , then complain about it.

Basically you are assuming I "continuously" fall for the wrong guy which is wrong.
Original post by chocolatesauce
Basically you are assuming I "continuously" fall for the wrong guy which is wrong.

I was talking about her , she explicitly mentioned she had several exes of the same type.
I was talking about her , she explicitly mentioned she had several exes of the same type.

Then why am I quoted in?
Original post by chocolatesauce
Then why am I quoted in?

cos you were joining in on the whole "men are such jerks" rant .
cos you were joining in on the whole "men are such jerks" rant .

The key word is "some"
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Omg really!? I think I may like you a little more now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:sexface:
Original post by Anonymous
-intelligent
-hardworking
-loving
-caring
-thoughtful
-taller than me