The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Chosen Wum
Until it leads to lung cancer or even schizophrenia

poor lad

A zoot a day keeps the doctor away.
Original post by pane123
If you were to look at the 12/13 season, when Ozil and Cesc played in the same league, Ozil was by far the better provider of assists. Cesc provided a better goal scoring rate, but only marginally.

They are both sublime players, but Ozil is more effective in "the hole".

They played in different positions also ozil played in a perfect setup with people running in behind for him Cesc rarely ever got the free role ozil got

When they've both played in the hole Cesc beats ozil on pretty much every stat

Assists they are similar
Goals scored fabregas wins by a lot
Cesc had the highest chances created in the top 5 leagues since 06/07 and also has the most number of through balls in the premier league over the last 5 seasons despite not being here for the past 3 seasons fail to see how ozil is the better number 10
Original post by baconbutty
They played in different positions also ozil played in a perfect setup with people running in behind for him Cesc rarely ever got the free role ozil got

When they've both played in the hole Cesc beats ozil on pretty much every stat

Assists they are similar
Goals scored fabregas wins by a lot
Cesc had the highest chances created in the top 5 leagues since 06/07 and also has the most number of through balls in the premier league over the last 5 seasons despite not being here for the past 3 seasons fail to see how ozil is the better number 10

Because you are basing everything on a number, i.e. number of assists, number of goals. If you boil it down to per minute played, many of your stats will change to being in Ozil's favour.
Original post by pane123
Because you are basing everything on a number, i.e. number of assists, number of goals. If you boil it down to per minute played, many of your stats will change to being in Ozil's favour.

No? Ozil has played far more games on average than fabregas it'd be the other way round it anything
No? Ozil has played far more games on average than fabregas it'd be the other way round it anything

As I said in my first post, I am going on the 12/13 season because it served as a good comparison. I don't know what you're going on, but I am unquestionably right about the 12/13 season.
(edited 9 years ago)

Already gave you the assist/minute stats and chances created per 90 minutes stats and both are in Ozil's favour.
Original post by pane123
As I said in my first post, I am going on the 12/13 season. I don't know what you're going on, but I am unquestionably right about the 12/13 season.

Well I don't understand why you're going off that season when he hasn't played the number 10 role at barca we are only comparing them as number 10s
Reply 1387
Looks like Nastastic is on the radar
Original post by AR_95
Looks like Nastastic is on the radar

Source?? Just saw it's from the Mail. Nothing to get excited about then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Already gave you the assist/minute stats and chances created per 90 minutes stats and both are in Ozil's favour.

When they're playing in different positions yes but according to the bbc as a number 10 he has the most chances created in the top 5 leagues from 06/07 to 10/11 coincidentally the time he stopped playing as a number 10 :P
When they're playing in different positions yes but according to the bbc as a number 10 he has the most chances created in the top 5 leagues from 06/07 to 10/11 coincidentally the time he stopped playing as a number 10 :P

Fair play, Ozil should have been racking up those stats in 2006 when he was in the Schalke youth teams. As has been said, Ozil has the best assist stats of anyone from 2010-2014 as a no.10 so hard to argue against that.

That's another thing btw, Cesc is years older than Ozil, who is still not in his peak years :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Fair play, Ozil should have been racking up those stats in 2006 when he was in the Schalke youth teams. As has been said, Ozil has the best assist stats of anyone from 2010-2014 as a no.10 so hard to argue against that.

That's another thing btw, Cesc is years older than Ozil, who is still not in his peak years :wink:

It's lucky we aren't comparing fabregas to a toddler and are comparing them on their best seasons then isn't it :-D

What other traditional number 10s has ozil really been out performing in 2010-14? Mata is the only one I can think of and he's out performed ozil for the last couple of years as well
It's lucky we aren't comparing fabregas to a toddler and are comparing them on their best seasons then isn't it :-D

What other traditional number 10s has ozil really been out performing in 2010-14? Mata is the only one I can think of and he's out performed ozil for the last couple of years as well

End of the day, you know Ozil is going to be handing out assists for Sanchez/Walcott/Ramsey like sweets so lets agree to disagree.
(edited 9 years ago)

Who, specifically, are you thinking about? I'd be surprised if Ozil hasn't outperformed almost everyone. Will be interesting to compare stats, though.
Original post by Zürich
End of the day, you know Ozil is going to be handing out assists for Sanchez/Walcott/Ramsey like sweets so lets agree to disagree.

Or more likely we'll watch poor performances from him whilst Ramsey and walcott carry us
Original post by pane123
Who, specifically, are you thinking about? I'd be surprised if Ozil hasn't outperformed almost everyone. Will be interesting to compare stats, though.

How many teams actually play with a traditional number 10?

Of attacking midfielders that have out performed him Uve got the likes of
Iniesta
Silva
More recently mata
Bale when he played in a free role in 11/12
Di Maria has really badly out performed him since being moved centrally at real
Reply 1396

Iniesta
Silva
More recently mata

Butty, when do you think Arsenal will be capable of winning the league?

Also, how many arsenal players would you say shouldn't be in the team?

Just curious

Iniesta
Silva
More recently mata

It's quite hard to define a lot of players' roles these days, so that's a valid question. I would, however, disagree with a lot of these players outperforming Ozil.

For some reason I couldn't get stats on Mata's incredible season at Chelsea (12 goals, 12 assists) but I don't see these players as having outperformed him:

Original post by pane123
It's quite hard to define a lot of players' roles these days, so that's a valid question. I would, however, disagree with a lot of these players outperforming Ozil.

For some reason I couldn't get stats on Mata's incredible season at Chelsea (12 goals, 12 assists) but I don't see these players as having outperformed him:

Silva plays off the left in a 4-2-2-2 with far more defensive work rate than ozil I think most arsenal fans would take silva over ozil.

Iniesta has been one of the best players in the world over the last few years and one of the greatest AMs of a time

Di Maria again ridiculous defensive work rate and still maintains such a high level of assists, key passes etc also played deeper than ozil and played a portion of games on the wing which will skew his stats

In 12/13 mata got 20 goals and 35 assists which is hard to look past. Pretty ridiculous and even in 11/12 id says there was little in it between them (these two are the most comparable of them all)
Original post by SHOO
Butty, when do you think Arsenal will be capable of winning the league?

Also, how many arsenal players would you say shouldn't be in the team?

Just curious

When we have a more tactically capable manager or a team with more quality than the other teams in the league to make up for the poor setup in a lot of games

From last seasons first 11 players that I think shouldn't be starting:
Gibbs
Arteta
Cazorla
Giroud

Latest