The Student Room Group

Soon-To-Be Year 10s: What GCSEs are you going to be doing?

Scroll to see replies

Just a note: it does depend on the school and the exam board as to how many exams you do for core subjects

For example, in my school, it was 1 EngLang for everyone, 4 EngLit for the top 60 students in the year

2 exams for most people in Maths, with those in the bottom 2 sets doing 4 exams on AQA and Edexcel to get a better chance of a C, and some of us in the top set did AQA L2 in Further Maths, which was another 2 exams

4 exams for Double Science/6 for Triple Science (we put it down as one of our Y9 options, so it's not ability based as such, in my class it was a range of 1 A* target, a few A targets, mostly B, and a couple C) , one ICT for everyone, 2 RE for everyone...

The languages were 2 exams each in French/Spanish, but it was optional to do them, 3 in History, 2 or 3 in Geography etc etc

In total, I had 23 exams this summer, which was the most out of anyone in the school :/
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by tryrevise
I just looked back at the op and as you're doing a lot of subjects as well, I'd expect you to probably have over 30 exams too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a lot! :tongue:
Reply 62
Original post by Marcusroye98
Maths is a weird one.
You just need to pick a topic and do loads of questions on that topic then you will be fine. With maths it just randomly 'clicks' after practice. I got an E in a mock exam in year 9 then I got an A when I took it early in year 11 :smile:
Just practice!

Okay. :smile: Well done on the A!
Reply 63
Original post by sophie !
What number of exams do most people have? What's the average? Do you know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At my school, we had a range of exams. On average there were 18-24 exams though.

Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Well, it depends on how many GCSEs are being done and whether your school is linear or whether you have previously done exam sin year 10. So generally, most people going into Year 11 would have about:

Maths: 2 exams
Eng Lang: 1 exam
Eng Lit: 2 exams
Double/triple science: 4-9 exams
RS (in some schools): 2 exams

Then generally their option subjects:
Four of the next few:
History: 2 exams
Geography: 2 exams
Sociology: 2-3 exams
Psychology: 2 exams
Media Studies: 1 exam
ICT: 1 exam
Other option subject etc

Just say combined the options consist of 7/8 exams, along with about 10 core exams, possibly 18?
It'd be best to create a poll to see.

Normally it's: English Language is 2x exams and Double Science is 6x exams I believe [Edexcel do P1-2 (2 exams), C1-2 (2 exams) and B1-2 (2 exams), similarly OCR 21st Century do C1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams), P1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams) and B1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams)]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur
At my school, we had a range of exams. On average there were 18-24 exams though.

Normally it's: English Language is 2x exams and Double Science is 6x exams I believe [Edexcel do P1-2 (2 exams), C1-2 (2 exams) and B1-2 (2 exams), similarly OCR 21st Century do C1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams), P1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams) and B1-3 + 4-6 (2 exams)]

Depends which exam board you are on really, so for English Language, 60% will be a 2hr15 reading and writing exam on the AQA spec. Whilst on the OCR Gateway Science spec there'll be 4 exams for double science, B1P1C1, B2C2P3, B3C3P3 and B4C4P4, whilst triple is two more exams.
Reply 65
Original post by ElGenioEstúpido
Depends which exam board you are on really, so for English Language, 60% will be a 2hr15 reading and writing exam on the AQA spec. Whilst on the OCR Gateway Science spec there'll be 4 exams for double science, B1P1C1, B2C2P3, B3C3P3 and B4C4P4, whilst triple is two more exams.

Is the rest Coursework for AQA? I always thought that they did two exams, maybe that's Literature. :tongue:
Okay. :smile: Well done on the A!

Thanks! I hated maths and then they entered me into Further maths :'(
Reply 67
Original post by Marcusroye98
Thanks! I hated maths and then they entered me into Further maths :'(

Tough luck. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sulfur
Is the rest Coursework for AQA? I always thought that they did two exams, maybe that's Literature. :tongue:

Yeah so basically it's 40% coursework and 60% exams, whilst on Literature it's 25% coursework and exams making up the other 75%
For GCSE I'm taking:

English Language
English Literature
Mathematics
Triple Science
ICT
History
Religion
Spanish
Business Studies

+ Additional Maths GCSE or AS Level Maths in Year 11.
Hi! :smile:

Just out of interest, what GCSEs have you chosen? I assume you will all be doing English and Maths. Are you all doing Triple Science too?

Personally, I'm doing: Maths, Statistics, English, Triple Science, French, Spanish, Food, Geography, Religion and some more.

I've completed the ITQ - my class was the first in the whole country to do this ITQ. It's equivalent to an ICT GCSE. I got an A, which I'm fairly happy with! Obviously I would have preferred an A*, but an A is great too.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing your replies. :hello:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile:

English Lit and Language
Maths
Double Award Science (Didn't offer Triple :frown: )
Geography
History
Full Course Welsh
Short Course RS
Welsh Bac
The subjects I'm doing are:

Maths
English literature
English language
Core and additional science
French
RE
History (option)
Computing (option)
Graphics (option)

The reason I'm not doing triple science is because at my school core and additional are compulsory, but triple has to be one of our options, meaning I wouldn't have been able to do either history, computing and graphics. All of my subjects, apart from graphics and possibly RE, are all part of the EBacc as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm let's see :')

Maths (Year 10)
Additional Maths (Year 11)
English Language (Year 10)
English Literature (Year 11)
Science (Triple)
PE (Year 10)
PSHEE (Year 9 and 10)
RS (Year 11)
Business Studies (Year 11)
Food Tech (Year 11)
Spanish (Year 11)
Functional Skills (Year 9)
History (Year 11)
Drama (Year 11)

I'm going into Year 11 by the way :smile:
Hi! :smile:

Just out of interest, what GCSEs have you chosen? I assume you will all be doing English and Maths. Are you all doing Triple Science too?

Personally, I'm doing: Maths, Statistics, English, Triple Science, French, Spanish, Food, Geography, Religion and some more.

I've completed the ITQ - my class was the first in the whole country to do this ITQ. It's equivalent to an ICT GCSE. I got an A, which I'm fairly happy with! Obviously I would have preferred an A*, but an A is great too.

Thanks! I look forward to seeing your replies. :hello:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That seems like a good selection! Congrats on your A too!

I'm doing:

Maths
English Lang
English lit
Triple science
Music
Geography
French
RE

I'm also doing Duke of Edinburgh :smile:
I'm taking:

IGCSE English Lit+Lang, Maths and Triple Science
GCSE French, History, Latin and Music

I also took Russian GCSE in June and achieved A* :biggrin:
Reply 75
Original post by tabithacrazy
That seems like a good selection! Congrats on your A too!

I'm doing:

Maths
English Lang
English lit
Triple science
Music
Geography
French
RE

I'm also doing Duke of Edinburgh :smile:

Nice! I'm doing Duke of Edinburgh too! How's it going for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Original post by Elliwhi
I'm taking:

IGCSE English Lit+Lang, Maths and Triple Science
GCSE French, History, Latin and Music

I also took Russian GCSE in June and achieved A* :biggrin:

Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 78
Woop Woop!!

Triple Science, Maths, E-LANG, E-LITE, Spanish, History, Geography and Business!
Hi, i've started year 10 and i am doing english, english lit, maths, statistics, biology, chemistry, physics, german, geography, r.e, computer sceince and home economics! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest