The Student Room Group
Original post by daydreamer93
My new employer is asking for my p45 from my previous employer, but I did not give my p45 to my previous employer, I just gave him my national insurance number.

It is supposed to make tax payments more accurate if you hand over a P45, though I've never found that myself, HMRC can screw up anything, even when you follow their procedures. It's no biggie, just tell your new employer you don't have a P45 and there is an alternative form to complete and send off (P40?). It probably won't make any difference in your tax payments unless you are a higher rate payer!
Reply 2
My new employer is asking for my p45 from my previous employer, but I did not give my p45 to my previous employer, I just gave him my national insurance number.

It's something your previous employer gives to you when you leave. Go back and ask for it.
Original post by Clip
It's something your previous employer gives to you when you leave. Go back and ask for it.

I have my p45 forms but I did not give it to my previous job he just asked for my national insurance number?
my tax code is 747L
Reply 4
I have my p45 forms but I did not give it to my previous job he just asked for my national insurance number?
my tax code is 747L

Your new employer is asking for the P45 that your last employer should have issued you with - not something you had from before that.
Reply 5
my tax code is 747L

You'll get new ones off your previous employer, you don't need the old P45 forms for this (but keep them anyway as records). Go back and ask your employer for P45 forms.
Original post by Clip
Your new employer is asking for the P45 that your last employer should have issued you with - not something you had from before that.

Okay I understand that but at my previous job(my first job) where I worked for 2 months they did not ask me for my p45, so what do you suggest I do? Just give my new employer the P45 I had before that?
Reply 7
Okay I understand that but at my previous job(my first job) where I worked for 2 months they did not ask me for my p45, so what do you suggest I do? Just give my new employer the P45 I had before that?

Go back and read the replies again. We are asking you to ask your previous employer for a new P45, it does not matter in this case if you gave your old employer a P45 or not.
Original post by james1211
Go back and read the replies again. We are asking you to ask your previous employer for a new P45, it does not matter in this case if you gave your old employer a P45 or not.

Right okay but my previous employer is a bit hard to get in contact with, hes always traveling, he just terminated my contract which was a probationary 3 month contract.
Is it still okay if I just give my old p45 forms to my new employer? does it make a difference?
Reply 9
Right okay but my previous employer is a bit hard to get in contact with, hes always traveling, he just terminated my contract which was a probationary 3 month contract.
Is it still okay if I just give my old p45 forms to my new employer? does it make a difference?

Your old P45 is useless as it will be inaccurate now due to you having worked since. Tell your current employer that you don't have a P45. They will either give you the appropriate form or tell you to contact your tax office.
Original post by Reue
Your old P45 is useless as it will be inaccurate now due to you having worked since. Tell your current employer that you don't have a P45. They will either give you the appropriate form or tell you to contact your tax office.

Ok so shall I just give my new employer a p46 form that I will fill in
I'm filling a p46 form do I tick the student loans section?

I'm in my final year of uni
Reply 12
I'm filling a p46 form do I tick the student loans section?

I'm in my final year of uni

I think that's for if you want to start repaying it now.
Hi, guys paydate for me is the 29th and my boss told me to text her the information on the p45 so that she can pay me but I don't think she knows its a p46. What exact information does she need to know in order to pay me? thats on a p46?
Can i give my new employer my p45 before i get a start date

Latest

Trending

Trending