The Student Room Group

Whether to tell homeschooled?

Hi,
Im considering applying to uk unis via UCAS as an international student. I'm homeschooled but I don't know what impression it gives on the ucas application to tell this fact. Should I instead say that I did a levels privately rather than saying I'm homeschooled?
Original post by methewthomson
Hi,
Im considering applying to uk unis via UCAS as an international student. I'm homeschooled but I don't know what impression it gives on the ucas application to tell this fact. Should I instead say that I did a levels privately rather than saying I'm homeschooled?

commenting on your schooling should be included in part of your reference.

UK unis wont care if you're home schooled, self schooled or went to the biggest school in the world. They just want to know if you have the academic ability/grades needed, that you understand what your subject contains and what you're committing to and that you like your subject enough to get through a degree.

Don't withhold any relevant information because you think it might "damage" your application. Withholding information is more damaging to an application than anything you might withhold. Universities do not want people who lie on their application forms.
Original post by methewthomson
Hi,

You will have to clarify this in the education section of your application, and it's very important that you don't give false or misleading information, as this is considered fraud and could result in offers being withdrawn.

So long as you have someone to supply an academic reference and predicted grades, being homeschooled won't harm your application.
Original post by PQ
commenting on your schooling should be included in part of your reference.

UK unis wont care if you're home schooled, self schooled or went to the biggest school in the world. They just want to know if you have the academic ability/grades needed, that you understand what your subject contains and what you're committing to and that you like your subject enough to get through a degree.

Don't withhold any relevant information because you think it might "damage" your application. Withholding information is more damaging to an application than anything you might withhold. Universities do not want people who lie on their application forms.

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You will have to clarify this in the education section of your application, and it's very important that you don't give false or misleading information, as this is considered fraud and could result in offers being withdrawn.

So long as you have someone to supply an academic reference and predicted grades, being homeschooled won't harm your application.

I have been home-schooled as in self-taught all the work independently, but only in some gcses how do I go about that?

Also do I have to get a reference from said school if 80% of my qualifications/modules/grades came from studying independently.

Thanks.
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I have been home-schooled as in self-taught all the work independently, but only in some gcses how do I go about that?

Also do I have to get a reference from said school if 80% of my qualifications/modules/grades came from studying independently.

Thanks.

If you self taught exams then put the exam centre into your education section with "Part Time" attendance.

You don't need to get your reference from your school but you WILL need an academic reference - if you're in a position where you could get that from a school and can talk to the referee about your schooling situation, what is self taught etc, what you want to apply for and show them some examples of work/grades then they should be more than able to give you a good reference covering *all* of your education not just the bits they have been involved with.
Original post by PQ
If you self taught exams then put the exam centre into your education section with "Part Time" attendance.

You don't need to get your reference from your school but you WILL need an academic reference - if you're in a position where you could get that from a school and can talk to the referee about your schooling situation, what is self taught etc, what you want to apply for and show them some examples of work/grades then they should be more than able to give you a good reference covering *all* of your education not just the bits they have been involved with.

Thanks for the advice, can I pm you :smile:
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

Thanks.

You will need some kind of academic reference, unless all the unis you apply to say you don't have to have one. Ideally, if you want to apply in year 13, you will need someone willing to give you predicted grades. If you have some involvement with a school, perhaps you could talk to them about this, or if you use any tutors, maybe one of them could write your reference?

The reference will be useful, as your referee will be able to talk about your schooling situation and any circumstances which may have led to this. These aren't things that really belong in your PS, and will take up room you'll want to use to talk about other things. However, as you have lots of experience working independently and being self motivated, a good reference which explains this could well make you more attractive to universities.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You will need some kind of academic reference, unless all the unis you apply to say you don't have to have one. Ideally, if you want to apply in year 13, you will need someone willing to give you predicted grades. If you have some involvement with a school, perhaps you could talk to them about this, or if you use any tutors, maybe one of them could write your reference?

The reference will be useful, as your referee will be able to talk about your schooling situation and any circumstances which may have led to this. These aren't things that really belong in your PS, and will take up room you'll want to use to talk about other things. However, as you have lots of experience working independently and being self motivated, a good reference which explains this could well make you more attractive to universities.

Much appreciated, so ask one of the exams officers at the school where i took the exams independently to be my reference

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending