The Student Room Group

University Requirements

Hello,
I've always been an academic student, never practical but I have always passed exams with minimum grade B. I'm in year eleven and will be picking my A-levels shortly. I would like to know what A-levels are more valuable with top universities like Cambridge and Oxford and their minimum grades.

Thanks.
Original post by BrendanQuirk
Hello,
I've always been an academic student, never practical but I have always passed exams with minimum grade B. I'm in year eleven and will be picking my A-levels shortly. I would like to know what A-levels are more valuable with top universities like Cambridge and Oxford and their minimum grades.

Thanks.

That will depend on which subject you want to study at university.

Have a look on their websites - they're very clear about where they prefer specific A levels for entry.
Original post by PQ
That will depend on which subject you want to study at university.

Have a look on their websites - they're very clear about where they prefer specific A levels for entry.

I don't know what I want to study to be honest...
Reply 3
Maths + Sciences will probably open most doors if your unsure

(Though they are probably the hardest set)
I don't know what I want to study to be honest...

In that case have a read of http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

It's from the russell group (so Oxford & Cambridge plus a bunch of other research focussed universities).

It gives an idea which A level subject leave your options open as well as the sort of subjects that might be required for different courses (so if you have a rough idea of what you might want to study it should help you pick A levels that will keep your options open).

FWIW don't JUST pick A levels based on the subjects that are sometimes preferred for entry. A low grade in a preferred subject wont get you entry at all so make sure you pick subjects that you enjoy and can do well at for A level.
Original post by Jkizer

And yet they have the highest # and proportions of people getting top grades. "Hardest" is a relative thing that cannot be applied to A level subjects in general.

I personally found maths and physics the easiest subject - Art A level would have been hardest for me.
Original post by Jkizer

I was thinking of doing Maths, Chemistry and Literature.
Reply 7

Thats cool.

If your open to courses like engineering, then physics could be something you could ponder about. Likewise Biology could be added, so courses like Biomed / Biochem are open (Though not all unis require bio)
Original post by Jkizer
Thats cool.

If your open to courses like engineering, then physics could be something you could ponder about. Likewise Biology could be added, so courses like Biomed / Biochem are open (Though not all unis require bio)

I'm open to anything, except the labour type things. Don't get me wrong, I can design and use CAD but once it gets to physically making something I'm useless unless I have help from a machine.

That's a good mix. Try and pick a fourth subject too though as many universities want an extra AS grade.

Since you're thinking about Oxford and Cambridge maybe take a look at this list. Is what Trinity College Cambridge think are 'Acceptable Subject Combinations' (bear in mind most universities will not care if you do choose a subject that Trinity lists as not suitable)

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Even though you do not know what course you wish to do, do you have any idea what kind of subject area would interest you (as in are you thinking of more a scientific or humanities/social science degree? ) :redface:
(edited 9 years ago)
I think when you get your GCSE results (or maybe you know already), it will become obvious what subjects you have a particular aptitude for, then go for those ones at A level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending