The Student Room Group

The 2.1 requirement is a joke

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donutaud15
I suggest you look at John Paul DeJoria again.

Doesn't sound like he was born to money to me.

Or David Green for that matter

There are more failures, then fairytales, you need to be realistic. Why give someone false hopes and dreams that they will be these people. Stuff like this leads to suicide and dire consequences.
Original post by a10
Bill gates :wink:

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1988080_1988093_1988082,00.html

He went to Harvard, the networking from that institution is priceless. Even if I went for a month it could change my life,lol. Dropout he went for 2 years, learnt invaluable skills. Not like getting a Payloan and going to birmingham city university (certain someone who keeps arguing with me on here).
Original post by SloaneRanger
http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1988080_1988093_1988082,00.html

He went to Harvard, the networking from that institution is priceless. Even if I went for a month it could change my life,lol.

I guess Alan Sugar had a brief stint at Oxford, eh?
Reply 163
Original post by swaggersaurusrex
the standard offer for maths at Cambridge is A*AA and 11 in STEP II & III. that represents the course difficulty very well, maths at cambridge is considered one of the, if not the, hardest degree in the world. many people who get A* in maths and further maths really struggle with STEP.

I love how people like you start comparing the extremes and say X course at the University of Cambridge is harder than X course at London Met Uni...

No **** sherlock..
Original post by fat_hobbit
I guess Alan Sugar had a brief stint at Oxford, eh?

Powerful and influential people can make decisions or influence them to your benefit - FACT.
There are more failures, then fairytales, you need to be realistic. Why give someone false hopes and dreams that they will be these people. Stuff like this leads to suicide and dire consequences.

If everyone thinks the same way as you do then none of these entrepreneurs will exist. Fact is it's not false hope, it's about perseverance and maybe taking risk.
Original post by james22
Trivially true fact.

You know you're a mathematician when you start using trivially in everyday language :lol:
Reply 167

He went to Harvard, the networking from that institution is priceless. Even if I went for a month it could change my life,lol. Dropout he went for 2 years, learnt invaluable skills. Not like getting a Payloan and going to birmingham city university (certain someone who keeps arguing with me on here).

that isn't a strong academic background, he dropped out and did his own thing..

they are many other CEOs who don't have "impressive" academic backgrounds
If everyone thinks the same way as you do then none of these entrepreneurs will exist. Fact is it's not false hope, it's about perseverance and maybe taking risk.

You are arguing a lost cause with this guy. He is elitist.

Duncan Bannatyne from dragons den.

is an example of a successful entrepreneur.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/6598965/Duncan-Bannatyne-lack-of-qualifications-need-not-hold-the-enterprising-back.html

But sloane will dismiss him like Sugar as outliers, when there are loads of these type of characters around. Many are not even famous, but are wealthy. And at the end of the day, who honestly cares about university education if you have the money to do whatever you want.

Unlike them, the OP, despite his Warwick degree, is now worrying about getting that money from a job as a worker so he can buy material things.

Edit:

The worse thing about guys like Sloane to be honest, is they are quick to bitch about their achievements when they haven't done it themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)

I agree, but at the same time its about making the best of a bad situation and logically approaching it. By telling x y and z they are going to be millionaires when there odds are diminishing by the simple fact they didn't achieve the grades they needed and the qualifications to get to the promise land. Its not helping at all, people need to face the facts they are closing the doors to certain opportunities when they don't achieve certain things.
Original post by a10
that isn't a strong academic background, he dropped out and did his own thing..

they are many other CEOs who don't have "impressive" academic backgrounds

Strong academic background, do you know the ratio of acceptance to rejection at Harvard. It is staggering, he would have had one of the best in the country to get in. In the US you have to start achieving from a relatively young age to get a good GPA! Its not like the UK at all. Just because he didn't finish his degree doesn't mean a weak academic background.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/6598965/Duncan-Bannatyne-lack-of-qualifications-need-not-hold-the-enterprising-back.html

But sloane will dismiss him like Sugar as outliers, when there are loads of these type of characters around. Many are not even famous, but are wealthy. And at the end of the day, who honestly cares about university education if you have the money to do whatever you want.

Unlike them, the OP, despite his Warwick degree, is now worrying about getting that money from a job as a worker so he can buy material things.

Agree. It's waste of time tbh.

Edit:

The worse thing about guys like Sloane to be honest, is they are quick to bitch about their achievements when they haven't done it themselves.

Rather than talking about other people like Eleanor Roosevelt said "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people".

Share your experiences of getting rejected as a result of bad grades, so other people can learn. Im not gonna lie I was 1/13 before getting a Corporate Account Manager role at BA, people with better qualifications got the jobs.Its completely fair and I can`t argue against it.
Agree. It's waste of time tbh.

The irony is, one can argue that they deserve more respect than a guy who went Oxford, because they have managed to do what a lot of people fail to do by being a successful entrepreneur.

The failure rate is 60%. Odds are stacked against them from day one.

Yet cultural snobbery means Sloane will not respect them, its bull****.
Rather than talking about other people like Eleanor Roosevelt said "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people".

Share your experiences of getting rejected as a result of bad grades, so other people can learn. Im not gonna lie I was 1/13 before getting a Corporate Account Manager role at BA, people with better qualifications got the jobs.Its completely fair and I can`t argue against it.

You know what, I have had my fair share of rejections, but I have also got into the final round a few times in these grad schemes. Logica, IBM to name a couple.

No one is disputing the fact that good ALs / degree allows you to apply to more grad schemes. We are disputing your idea that a graduate scheme is the only route to success in the commercial environment.
You know what, I have had my fair share of rejections, but I have also got into the final round a few times in these grad schemes.

No one is disputing the fact that good ALs / degree allows you to apply to more grad schemes. We are disputing your idea that a graduate scheme is the only route to success in the commercial environment.

How can you succeed in a commercial environment, when the application system throws your app into the bin before someone can look into it. If you have bad grades for example with Freshfields, it won't even reach there HR department, auto rejection after wasting your time with the app, LMAO. LloydsTSB, rejection within minutes, just for not having X GCSE.
I was 1/13 before getting a Corporate Account Manager role at BA, people with better qualifications got the jobs.Its completely fair and I can`t argue against it.

I have a mate , law student , AAAAAA.

He is 0/20 atm with grad schemes.

Gets to the final round and is rejected.

You need luck.
The irony is, one can argue that they deserve more respect than a guy who went Oxford, because they have managed to do what a lot of people fail to do by being a successful entrepreneur.

The failure rate is 60%. Odds are stacked against them from day one.

Yet cultural snobbery means Sloane will not respect them, its bull****.

I respect them for succeeding, but I don't respect those that fail.
I have a mate , law student , AAAAAA.

He is 0/20 atm with grad schemes.

Gets to the final round and is rejected.

You need luck.

You need a personality, "people buy from people". If he is all textbook and doesn't have the Harvey Spector charm, he needs to see a life coach or time to talk on the NHS.
How can you succeed in a commercial environment, when the application system throws your app into the bin before someone can look into it. If you have bad grades for example with Freshfields, it won't even reach there HR department, auto rejection after wasting your time with the app, LMAO. LloydsTSB, rejection within minutes, just for not having X GCSE.

Corporates are not the only companies out there mate.

Actually as my line of work is start up, I always get recruiters contact me on linked in for programming roles, now that I have years of experience.

You can also try and make it through self employment like Sugar did.

It just requires you to think outside the box, by spotting a gap in the market and exploiting it. Which is something university can't teach you btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending