The Student Room Group

GSCE A*s

How many A*'s do you need to get in a good University such as Cambridge or Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

cambridge minimum 6. oxford minimum 8.
10A* if you are elite
Original post by marc1350
How many A*'s do you need to get in a good University such as Cambridge or Oxford?

There are other good universities besides Cambridge and Oxford such as UCL, Durham and Warwick. I think your main concern is that you need at least a C in English GCSE to get into any university, they won't accept your 'GSCE's'.
Original post by TheEpiphany
cambridge minimum 6. oxford minimum 8.

So even if I get 4 A*s 7As in GCSE but 4A*s at A-level I can't get in?
A billion or 7 may do :smile:
Reply 6
I heard that one guy got accepted with only 1 A*
I thought the entry requirement were A*A*A* for Oxford in certain subjects such as medicine and mathematics. I'm not sure A* in GCSE could get you into them.
Reply 8
Just one for A-sshole. Oh, and you need an ample supply of self-righteousness, so look into your inner privilege to extract it.

Daddy's bank could help too. Don't worry about sounding off though, you can always get elocution lessons just like Maggie and go from petty bourgeoisie to tory elite. Soon enough you'll realise the only A that matters is the one at the end of every pronunciation you make after stretching it for a few kilometers.....Tony blaaaaa the British prime ministaaaaa
(edited 9 years ago)
Cambridge don't value GCSEs a lot so you can make it with just a few A*s :smile: but oxford love their GCSEs so a good 7 or 8 A*s should do it...
Original post by Robowarrior
So even if I get 4 A*s 7As in GCSE but 4A*s at A-level I can't get in?

It depends on your course. If you wanna apply for medicine even 8 A*s and 4 A*s predicted will seem mediocre. But for a soft course like Geography or Philosophy your grades would seem fine. Good luck with your application.
It depends on your course. If you wanna apply for medicine even 8 A*s and 4 A*s predicted will seem mediocre. But for a soft course like Geography or Philosophy your grades would seem fine. Good luck with your application.

What is this bull**** you're spouting? 4A* predicted is not mediocre for medicine, considering that the normal offer for medicine is AAA.
OP, don't listen to him. Unless you're applying for medicine, GCSEs don't matter all that much to most universities (excluding Oxford who care a bit more about GCSEs).
What a **** thread so far.

Oxford's say on the issue
Cambridge's say on the issue
(wasn't hard to find btw).

In summary, there is no formal minimum. People do get in with 0A*s. However, your chances do go up the more A*s you have, partially because of a direct impact on your application, partly because those with good GCSEs tend to get other good grades and tend to be good at interview. An exception is medicine at Oxford, where very high GCSEs are unquestionably very important.

EDIT: This is a graph taken from a very enlightening Independent article showing success rate vs number of A*s. Remember, as hinted at above, correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation.

Oxford success by GCSE.JPG
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by thechemistress
What is this bull**** you're spouting? 4A* predicted is not mediocre for medicine, considering that the normal offer for medicine is AAA.
OP, don't listen to him. Unless you're applying for medicine, GCSEs don't matter all that much to most universities (excluding Oxford who care a bit more about GCSEs).

You clearly have not understood the competition. Take a look at this, and be enlightened by good friend:

http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Its obvious from this that with 4 A*s, you do not even get shortlisted.
Original post by thechemistress

I agree.

To be honest, OP, it's down to your individual circumstance. Some people get in with 1A* and some with more. Then, in some years, people with 10A* grades fail to gain a place.

I would strongly believe that 4 A's at AS and 4/3 A* predictions at A2 would boost you into a very good position, irrespective of your GCSE's. Without a doubt, GCSE's wouldn't disadvantage you for Cambridge with these A-Level results as a complete difference. The world does have late bloomers and Oxbridge understand that. However, as others have said, Cambridge may be better for this particular predicament because Oxford do knowingly like students to be high achievers from GCSE all the way up so you would need a few decent A*'s for Oxford to give you a decent shot.

Good luck!
Original post by JayJay-C19
You should perhaps reread that data. People with 7A*+ had a shot at Oxford and were interviewed, etc. So how, exactly, would 8A* and 4A* be mediocre? Ridiculous.

Perhaps you must notice that Oxford only took in around 5-10 people with 8 A*s. Does that not ring a bell in your head saying that your chances are extremely slim?
Perhaps you must notice that Oxford only took in around 5-10 people with 8 A*s. Does that not ring a bell in your head saying that your chances are extremely slim?

You clearly have not understood the competition. Take a look at this, and be enlightened by good friend:

These need to be qualified with 'for medicine'. All of the other courses state nothing about their GCSE requirements.

Are you talking about 4A* at A-Level or GCSE? I assumed you were ttalking about A-Level?
Original post by marc1350

Ever considered another Uni from Oxbridge? There are some unis that are better in certain subjects depending what you want to do.

Also, honestly the amount of times I've said this, they will not decide on your application based on your GCSE grades. I know a guy who got straight As, a few A*s and a few Bs iirc (can't remember exactly but definitely worse than yours) he got A*A*A* at A-Level at got in.

GCSEs are nice. A-Levels and Personal Statement decide. Stop worrying about your GCSEs and try and get the best A-Level grades possible and a good personal statement.
Important - please ask for some kind of source with your answers. As it is, you are being told rubbish by other GCSE students and it is helping noone. The universities have the details you need:

Cambridge - http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/requirements/thefacts.html

There is no minimum requirement. I don't have a similar link to Oxford so will abstain from answering.

Quick Reply

Latest