The Student Room Group

If firearms were legal, would you own one?

Scroll to see replies

Of course I could then shoot any intruder who breaks in to my house.
Reply 101
I wouldn't buy a firearm.

Original post by Tomsta
Fair enough i'm still not sure of blade law, i studied Aikido for two years, not sure if i could get a live blade Katana

I study aikido (9 years). I believe it's completely legal to own a live blade, but I don't see why you'd want to for aikido. :tongue: Aikido uses aikiken which is taught with a bokken. I have heard stories of Ueshiba attacking his students with a live sword as a test when he considered they had grasped the nature of aikido but they would have been the equivalent of very high level dan grades.
Original post by miser
I wouldn't buy a firearm.

I study aikido (9 years). I believe it's completely legal to own a live blade, but I don't see why you'd want to for aikido. :tongue: Aikido uses aikiken which is taught with a bokken. I have heard stories of Ueshiba attacking his students with a live sword as a test when he considered they had grasped the nature of aikido but they would have been the equivalent of very high level dan grades.

Yeah well a bokken is a wooden equivalent of a Katana, but then again i did only do my 6th Kyu grading in it (studied it while at uni) looking into Wing Chun right now though
I'd want a bow and arrow. That would look badass.
I own a couple as firearms are legal just not handguns unless you're in NI. Rifles and shotguns, perfect for the weekend hunt :h:
Original post by Tomsta
as far as i know the only people that can legally hold/wield a firearm are farmers, Olympian shooters and the UK version of SWAT

In theory anyone can get a license if they want one and have a use for guns.

There are all sorts of background checks, and criminal records will be taken into account, and if you've been to prison for a certain length of time (can't remember exactly) you'll be denied one. Anything which could make you a danger to the public is taken into account.

You have to keep the guns and ammunition secure, meaning secure cabinets which you can store them in and then lock. There are even rules as to the positioning of the cabinet, which walls you can fix it to, etc.

You can get a license as long as you pass those checks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 106
Yes, but I would be a hypocrit as I don't stop going on about anti guns I am.
Original post by Tomsta
Firearms are legal however you need to have a license, it's harder to get a licence in the UK than it is in the US, as far as i know the only people that can legally hold/wield a firearm are farmers, Olympian shooters and the UK version of SWAT

That is the case for rifles (sort of), but with a shotgun, anyone can have one (once passing the checks). You don't even need to have a reason to own a shotgun, other than you want one.
Original post by DiddyDec
That is the case for rifles (sort of), but with a shotgun, anyone can have one (once passing the checks). You don't even need to have a reason to own a shotgun, other than you want one.

Really so i could go to my local Police Station (as i'm guessing thats where you would have to go) and ask to apply for a shotgun licence?
Reply 109
On COD
Never. The US is full of trigger-happy idiots, we don't need them in the UK as well.
Reply 111
Original post by cah846
Never. The US is full of trigger-happy idiots, we don't need them in the UK as well.

but provided you arent a trigger happy idiot, why wouldn't you want one?
Original post by Tomsta
Really so i could go to my local Police Station (as i'm guessing thats where you would have to go) and ask to apply for a shotgun licence?

https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

You sure can. You will also need to buy a gun cabinet and have it installed correctly.
https://www.gov.uk/shotgun-and-firearm-certificates

You sure can. You will also need to buy a gun cabinet and have it installed correctly. You can start your application online.

I'm not going to however as i've just graduated uni and living with my parents so :tongue: also have no use for it
Original post by Tomsta
I'm not going to however as i've just graduated uni and living with my parents so :tongue: also have no use for it

Collecting shotguns is a good reason to own a shotgun.
Original post by bertstare
but provided you arent a trigger happy idiot, why wouldn't you want one?

I don't see the attraction of being able to maim or kill another human being. Who should have the right to end another human's life, especially in violence and often for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Look at the psychological training and preparation the military have to go through before they are trusted with firearms, there's a reason for it.
Collecting shotguns is a good reason to own a shotgun.

You need money for that however :tongue:
I would but if i could then everyone should but if everyone does then we will be like Murica where there is a shooting everyday and people die for no reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Original post by cah846
I don't see the attraction of being able to maim or kill another human being. Who should have the right to end another human's life, especially in violence and often for no reason other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time? Look at the psychological training and preparation the military have to go through before they are trusted with firearms, there's a reason for it.

What about for self defence/protection of your family at home? Only a beta ****er wouldn't wanna protect their family
Original post by bertstare
What about for self defence/protection of your family at home? Only a beta ****er wouldn't wanna protect their family

Living in England I'm unlikely to be put in that situation. Besides, there are other ways to protect family without resorting to firepower.

Quick Reply

Latest