The Student Room Group

Uni's for Mathematics?

Hi,

Just wondering what the best universities are for maths in the UK.

Perhaps someone could give me their opinion of top 10 uni's for maths.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RG110man
Hi,

Just wondering what the best universities are for maths in the UK.

Perhaps someone could give me their opinion of top 10 uni's for maths.

Cambridge
Oxford
Warwick (the best - because I go there)
Imperial
Bath
Bristol
Durham
St Andrews ( number 1 according to the guardian - lol - although I probably would still rank it top 10)
UCL
Couldn't really decide about it after that, people would argue many good universities. There are lots of good ones, but people typically say COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, imperial) are the best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TheIrrational
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
Bath
Bristol
Durham
St Andrews ( number 1 according to the guardian - lol - although I probably would still rank it top 10)
UCL
Couldn't really decide about it after that, people would argue many good universities.

I'd agree with that list (except the bit about Warwick obviously :tongue:)
Cambridge
Oxford
Imperial
Bath
Bristol
Durham
UCL
Couldn't really decide about it after that, people would argue many good universities. There are lots of good ones, but people typically say COWI (Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, imperial) are the best.

Kings? Southampton? Nottingham? Heriot-Watt?
Original post by Noble.
I'd agree with that list (except the bit about Warwick obviously :tongue:)

Just another Oxford student jealous of Warwick's incredible reputation :wink: aha

The maths courses are all very similar across the top ones I guess. Cambridge looks a bit harder, I had a look at Oxford and it covers most the same stuff we do. Oxford has the added interview which makes it harder to get into, and hence the name is world renound.
Original post by Dilzo999
Kings? Southampton? Nottingham? Heriot-Watt?

I would say they would be in the added bit at the bottom - many people would argue about top ten unis.

Apart from Heriot-Watt, I know very little about it, its entries are ABB-BBB but I guess you shouldn't judge purely on entries, so I couldn't say really!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Just another Oxford student jealous of Warwick's incredible reputation :wink: aha

The maths courses are all very similar across the top ones I guess. Cambridge looks a bit harder, I had a look at Oxford and it covers most the same stuff we do. Oxford has the added interview which makes it harder to get into, and hence the name is world renound.

I'm not a massive fan of how applied Cambridge's course is. I think if someone is more applied focus Cambridge's course definitely looks nicer than Oxford's, but last time I checked I did a few courses in my second year at Oxford that they don't cover (at least in the second year, I presume not in first year) at Cambridge.
Original post by Noble.
I'm not a massive fan of how applied Cambridge's course is. I think if someone is more applied focus Cambridge's course definitely looks nicer than Oxford's, but last time I checked I did a few courses in my second year at Oxford that they don't cover (at least in the second year, I presume not in first year) at Cambridge.

I suppose that's true, it depends what you want to do really. I've never been a fan of applied really, so it's probably best to look at the course you'll be studying before applying. Even though at A level you probably wouldn't know what you'd like :smile: and most people who want to go to Cambridge probably won't rule it out because it is too applied.
Cambridge
----
----
Oxford
----
Imperial
Warwick
----
Bath
Durham
UCL
----
St Andrews
Bristol

rest
Reply 9
I suppose that's true, it depends what you want to do really. I've never been a fan of applied really, so it's probably best to look at the course you'll be studying before applying. Even though at A level you probably wouldn't know what you'd like :smile: and most people who want to go to Cambridge probably won't rule it out because it is too applied.

Prior to starting my undergrad I was convinced I'd be more interested in applied :lol:
Original post by Noble.
Prior to starting my undergrad I was convinced I'd be more interested in applied :lol:

When I started my undergraduate degree I was still convinced trigonometry and calculus were considered pure. Then in came rings and topology.
Reply 11
When I started my undergraduate degree I was still convinced trigonometry and calculus were considered pure. Then in came rings and topology.

Haha, I think even being introduced to proper analysis for the first time is quite hard-hitting coming from A-Level M/FM. I love(d) topology, until I got half-way through this year's option on it where it introduced simplicial complexes and surfaces - rings are pretty good fun though (perhaps not when you have to start talking about rational canonical forms and structures though)
The plural is unis not uni's.
Reply 13
I would say they would be in the added bit at the bottom - many people would argue about top ten unis.

Apart from Heriot-Watt, I know very little about it, its entries are ABB-BBB but I guess you shouldn't judge purely on entries, so I couldn't say really!

I'm sure Heriot Watt deserves its place on that list, not that I'm biased or anything :tongue:

Our entry requirements are what they are because of popularity. Lots of people (particularly in England) have never heard of it and assume its an ex-poly or something because its not named after a city/place. The maths research that we do is mainly joint with Edinburgh because we have the Maxwell Institute for Mathematical Sciences plus the Actuarial department is always getting called world leading and what not :tongue:
Original post by Kabulkid
Cambridge
----
----
Oxford
----
Imperial
Warwick
----
Bath
Durham
UCL
----
St Andrews
Bristol

rest

This classification is completely artificial. Best unis to study maths in no particular order,
Oxford, Warwick, Imperial and Cambridge.
Reply 15
Original post by Kabulkid
Cambridge
----
----
Oxford
----
Imperial
Warwick
----
Bath
Durham
UCL
----
St Andrews
Bristol

rest

Why do you think UCL (or Durham for that matter) are better than Bristol for maths? Would welcome hearing the details of your reasoning.
Notthingham is top ten, imo, and my brother goes there to do a maths course. He says the course is well covered and the staff are helpful. As a result he's in the top 30 for his course.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by All-rounder
Notthing is top ten, imo, and my brother goes there to do a maths course. He says the course is well covered and the staff are helpful. As a result he's in the top 30 for his course.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

What you've said makes no sense whatsoever.
Original post by Noble.
What you've said makes no sense whatsoever.

:biggrin: I think he meant Nottingham rather than Nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Theophile
This classification is completely artificial. Best unis to study maths in no particular order,
Oxford, Warwick, Imperial and Cambridge.

there is an order though.... lol wtf?
Original post by RichE
Why do you think UCL (or Durham for that matter) are better than Bristol for maths? Would welcome hearing the details of your reasoning.

UCL have stepped up their maths dept, asking for very high A-level grades w/ STEP. Durham have always had a solid maths course, Bristol is amazing dont get me wrong but not as good as UCL/durham.

Quick Reply

Latest