The Student Room Group

Poll: What's the PROPER way to brew a cup of tea?

Scroll to see replies

it is a scientific fact that if you don't leave it to brew for at least 5 minutes with two teabags and serve with at least 3 spoonfuls of sugar then you must be gay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Milk first! Putting the milk in first allows a precise measurement of the quantity, plus I swear it tastes better.

And then tea bag, then water, then sugar. Stir and release tea bag.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Milk first! Putting the milk in first allows a precise measurement of the quantity, plus I swear it tastes better.

And then tea bag, then water, then sugar. Stir and release tea bag.

If you want a precise measurement it doesn't matter whether you do it before or after, since you would have to measure it before adding it. Anyway, I can put the correct amount in at any time :biggrin:
Original post by Changing Skies
I do:

-add teabag
-pour water and leave to brew
-remove teabag
-add milk
-add sugar :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You make good tea! I can't imagine anyone wanting to do anything other than this order when making a brew
Original post by Jammy Duel
If you want a precise measurement it doesn't matter whether you do it before or after, since you would have to measure it before adding it. Anyway, I can put the correct amount in at any time :biggrin:

Yes but I always fill it up to the same position on my mug. When you're adding it after the water has been added, you're going by colour more than anything, seems less precise to me. Especially because different tea bags brew at different rates :tongue:
Yes but I always fill it up to the same position on my mug. When you're adding it after the water has been added, you're going by colour more than anything, seems less precise to me. Especially because different tea bags brew at different rates :tongue:

Given that tea bags go at different rates, colour is the only reliable way to measure strength.
Original post by KingStannis
Given that tea bags go at different rates, colour is the only reliable way to measure strength.

That's only if you remove the tea bag before adding the milk. If you add the milk straight after pouring the water and remove the tea bag a minute after the milk is added, the end result could vary.
That's only if you remove the tea bag before adding the milk. If you add the milk straight after pouring the water and remove the tea bag a minute after the milk is added, the end result could vary.

tbh I didn't even know that was a thing until reading this thread.
Original post by KingStannis
tbh I didn't even know that was a thing until reading this thread.

Nor did I, I assumed if one were to be perverse enough to add milk and decided to do it before adding the tea (whether they use leaves or are perverse enough to use bags is largely irrelevant, for once) it would also be before the water, given that the water would mix the milk better. I would also assume it would be milk->tea->water, again, for better mixing, this time of the tea.
Reply 169
Tea bag in
Tea bag out as quick as possible
Done.
Reply 170
Teabag.
Ideally I try to aim for the first option, but more often than not my laziness only allows for the 2nd option. Can't be waiting around for it to brew...
Original post by Motorbiker
Good choice. People that add milk before removing the bag makes the bag weird and milky. It's weird.

That's ok, I don't eat the bag.
This is like those weird people that put the squash into the glass before the water, or those chefs that put the sauce on the plate then the food on top. Its a sign of a deviant and perverted mind.
Original post by cole-slaw
This is like those weird people that put the squash into the glass before the water, or those chefs that put the sauce on the plate then the food on top. Its a sign of a deviant and perverted mind.

EVERYONE puts squash in first then water.

If you made a poll thread in food and drink and got 100 replies form TSR users i'd guarantee a 90%+ Squash first reply.
Original post by cole-slaw

Squash after the water?? Madness!!

If you made a poll thread in food and drink and got 100 replies form TSR users i'd guarantee a 90%+ Squash first reply.

:yes: I agree
Original post by Neostigmine
Squash after the water?? Madness!!

:yes: I agree

Want to do the honours and make the thread?

Think we just need Squash first and squash last options really. Unless we have a weird minority that do squash halfway ... :tongue:
Want to do the honours and make the thread?

Think we just need Squash first and squash last options really. Unless we have a weird minority that do squash halfway ... :tongue:

Or both at the same time.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Or both at the same time.

Does anyone do that? Crazy fools...

Want to make the thread? I don't want to be OP of every food and drink thread so need to poke others into starting them as well.

Squash first, Water first, Both at the same time, Other(That'll catch the extra crazy people)

What can I say, people are stupid.

Quick Reply

Latest