The Student Room Group

Poll: What's the PROPER way to brew a cup of tea?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
Does anyone do that? Crazy fools...

If I'm particularly in a hurry I might do it :biggrin:

Want to make the thread? I don't want to be OP of every food and drink thread so need to poke others into starting them as well.

Squash first, Water first, Both at the same time, Other(That'll catch the extra crazy people)

May as well when I get back home :biggrin:

Need to think of something for the sophisticated minority that you neglected (TEA LEAVES GODDAMMIT!)
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
The milk is still there whether you add it first or last, so it still cools the tea down by the same amount :tongue:

Oh really? I thought adding the hot water second would warm the milk up? :dontknow:

It's interesting to read the different ways people brew their tea!
Original post by nemothefish19
Oh really? I thought adding the hot water second would warm the milk up? :dontknow:

Hm... never thought of that.

It is :yep:
Original post by Rosie786
Lol at ping ping. :laugh:

:eek:you don't do the ping ping!?
Original post by Motorbiker
Was almost perfect until the Sugar.

How can you make the tea so perfectly and then ruin it by covering it in sugar at the end? :colonhash:

Lol the sugar is optional.

Also, almost perfect? I think you'll find Sir/Madame that it is entirely perfect:smug:

How do you make yours?

wut

you don't study physics, do you...
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
I personally think there should be another option on this poll about duration of leaving the teabag in: I have stared in horror as people dip their teabags into a mug of hot water for about 15 seconds, then add milk and remove, resulting in a disastrous cup of milky water.

Here is the correct way to make a cup of tea (if you are using a teabag and not loose tea):

Insert tea bag into mug
Pour freshly boiled water into mug
Leave to brew for exactly 3 minutes, pressing the tea bag every so often with a spoon to release even more tea
Remove tea bag
Add milk to taste, I prefer a larger amount of milk if you are brewing for a longer time like 3 minutes - i.e.

longer brew + more milk = nicer than shorter brew + less milk

Sugar in my opinion is unnecessary - I have accustomed myself to drinking tea without sugar and now if ever I have tea with sugar it tastes super weird

This post sums up my view almost exactly. For a single cup I perhaps wouldn't brew for 3 minutes, maybe half that? I do give it a good rigorous stir before taking the bag out.

When making a pot of tea it gets left 4 minutes to brew so for a single cup I feel that 3 minutes is just a bit too strong.

Doesn't matter which way round you add it it'll be the same temperature.

Does this mean that you think that when you add milk after it remins at the same temperature and separate to the tea rather than warming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Does this mean that you think that when you add milk after it remins at the same temperature and separate to the tea rather than warming up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I think it cools it down. That's why I thought it would be the other way round if the milk is added first......
Original post by cole-slaw
wut

you don't study physics, do you...

Only GCSE science, donkeys years ago!

Goodness was my opinion that dumb sounding? :rofl:
(edited 9 years ago)
No I think it cools it down. That's why I thought it would be the other way round if the milk is added first......

It cools the tea down, or does it heat the milk up? The same transfer of energy happens, the tea is cooled as it transfers heat to the milk, warming it until they reach equilibrium. The outcome is largely the same, little enough time will have passed for any noticeable effect on the milk as a result of the higher energy level if you put it in first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh I see now, so your saying it doesn't really matter which liquid is added first even if they're different temparatures, equilibrium will be reached anyway?

I add a lot of milk to my tea to cool it down quicker so maybe that's where my weird logic came from!
Ohhh I see now, so your saying it doesn't really matter which liquid is added first even if they're different temparatures, equilibrium will be reached anyway?

I add a lot of milk to my tea to cool it down quicker so maybe that's where my weird logic came from!

Yeah, whichever way around you do it the total energy will be exactly the same if the teacup were a closed system, ie no energy gain or loss from/to the surroundings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, whichever way around you do it the total energy will be exactly the same if the teacup were a closed system, ie no energy gain or loss from/to the surroundings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh ok, well you just made chemistry interesting again for me! Thanks for taking the time to explain :smile:
ahh ok, well you just made chemistry interesting again for me! Thanks for taking the time to explain :smile:

It's physics, not chemistry :tongue:
No chemical reactions here, just physical ones, the tea and milk are like Ar :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me, it's:

1. Realise I want some tea
2. Ask my mother to make some
3. ???
4. Profit.

:colone:
It's physics, not chemistry :tongue:
No chemical reactions here, just physical ones, the tea and milk are like Ar :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: Oh man I'm sounding like a right dumb ass today!
1. Teabag in the cup
2. Add 1 sugar
3. Add boiling water, stir
4. Let it brew for about 5 minutes, no less
5. Squish teabag around cup, squeezing out more tea
6. Take out teabag
7. Add milk
8. Stir

Adding milk when the teabag is still in the cup is just wrong on so many levels :s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)
Teabag in, milk in, sugar in, water in, remove tea bag

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest