The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
I can't disagree with that.

Personally think that Terry wasn't helped in 2012 with AVB's tactics.

Terry got injured under Di Matteo in the 12/13 season and we had both Mikel and Ramires pushing forward in a very attacking style of play under Di Matteo(when we got Hazard and Oscar, not our CL win). He was out of favour under Benitez and it's very hard for a defender to play excellently when he's been in and out of the side. I'd give you an example. Rafael Varane had a shaky game in the CL final, he miskicked a ball he could have easily just cleared to the throw in, he concedes a corner and Atlético score. That game was almost decided due to Varane conceding a corner he shouldn't have done.

So I believe Terry always had the ability, just that he didn't get a run of games, or played with a terrible team in front of him. Similar to Arsenal around 2010-12.

Yeah that's makes sense. Terry never had any pace anyway so you cant see him having a Rio style decline any time soon really. Rarely gets injured as well so he'll probably be just as good in this season coming. Personally would have Ivanovic and Terry at CB anyway.

As always it's all about the balance though, and playing Fabregas in front of him instead of the likes of Rameires/Mikel will probably cause him a few headache but that's a risk you have to take in certain games.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_tom
He will start on the right and play up front, and move to the left most likely. Your conclusion that he can't play on the left because "CB91 said he was pretty bad there" is laughable. Playing on opposite flanks is very easy for most technically gifted wingers, especially if they are cutting in on their favored foot it makes it much easier.

Possibly he could do well there. I think he'll do okay but I'm not expecting fireworks. Quote me when Sanchez has his beast season and has a better season than Hazard next year? I reckon he'll need a bedding in period, he's also a confidence player so if you guys have a poor few months like you generally do(not a dig) then I expect him to be very poor during that period, while other players can be good during that time(e.g. Wayne Rooney).

na, you meant the league too because you put City as 3rd who have been dire in Europe. so you are backpedaling. poor trolling efforts

I mean europe as well as league. Typing error. Although I was also using their signings at the time and their squad as well, note that Atlético weren't in the top 3 and I used Real and Bayern there. Even though Atlético warrant the top 3 more so than Chelsea and City.

It's also more to who I think will do the best next season.
(edited 9 years ago)
with the goalkeeper sorted (if its true)

Then for me thats priority 3,4,5 sorted out from before the transfer window started..

With 1+2 being striker + DM/CM still to come..

(Ofcourse some positions, GK/RB became essential as players were sold/released)
Original post by fallen_acorns
with the goalkeeper sorted (if its true)

Then for me thats priority 3,4,5 sorted out from before the transfer window started..

With 1+2 being striker + DM/CM still to come..

(Ofcourse some positions, GK/RB became essential as players were sold/released)

It seems Wenger sees striker as sorted with the signing of Sanchez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imagine Venga does a madting and brings in Vidal.

Haha, unlikely.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Imagine Venga does a madting and brings in Vidal.

Haha, unlikely.

I hope we get Vidal:

Vidal-Matic-Fabregas midfield

:coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #That'sNotMe
I hope we get Vidal:

Vidal-Matic-Fabregas midfield

:coma:

Posted from TSR Mobile

God forbid. :colonhash:
God forbid. :colonhash:

Vidal-Matic-Fabregas

Hazard-Torres-Di Maria

Too good :sogood:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Vidal-Matic-Fabregas

Hazard-Torres-Di Maria

Too good :sogood:

Posted from TSR Mobile

James and Di Maria dilemma is exactly like the Ozil-Bale issue last year, we all know how that turned out... :wink:
James and Di Maria dilemma is exactly like the Ozil-Bale issue last year, we all know how that turned out... :wink:

Sanchez-Ozil-Di Maria
Walcott

:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sanchez-Ozil-Di Maria
Walcott

:eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You knoww :cool:

Since it's imminent that we're probably not getting another striker by the looks of it, Theo might play as CF when he returns so yeah.
Reply 1431
No one's mentioned anything about Ospina
Original post by AR_95
No one's mentioned anything about Ospina

Statistically he's a better keeper than Szczesny and was good at the WC, but personally I dont want a 6'0 keeper in the PL so I'll stick with Szczesny unless he's out of form. At £3m though it's a no brainer and he should keep Szcz eager to please.

Big year for Szczesny as well, think he needs to keep pushing on if he's going to reach his potential.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qwerty_mad
It seems Wenger sees striker as sorted with the signing of Sanchez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

think your right.. but still hoping out for balloteli
Original post by Zürich
Statistically he's a better keeper than Szczesny and was good at the WC, but personally I dont want a 6'0 keeper in the PL so I'll stick with Szczesny unless he's out of form. At £3m though it's a no brainer and he should keep Szcz eager to please.
Should have picked up Pantilimon on a free from City, little bit above 6,0.
Original post by Fizzel
Should have picked up Pantilimon on a free from City, little bit above 6,0.

:laugh:
Height is necessary but not sufficient! Just think 6'0 keepers who make those reflex saves, which look better than they are, are overrated because of their lack of physical presence. When I was young I felt Shay Given was world class after seeing him live a few times and seeing his shot stopping. Only later after watching a few of his Newcastle games do you see the other side of it; flapping at corners, getting rounded by pacey forwards etc. Shot stopping should be taken as agiven, it's every else that makes a top GK! :wink:

Not saying Ospina is the same, but height is very important.

I'm 6'3 so it would annoy me to see a GK flapping at corners that I myself could pluck out of the air! :tongue:

She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon! She wore a yellow ribbon in the merry month of May, And when! I asked! Oh why she wore that ribbon! She said its for the Arsenal and we're going to Wembley!
Original post by Zürich

Big year for Szczesny as well, think he needs to keep pushing on if he's going to reach his potential.

I agree with this too, height is important in the PL, especially when you want your keeper to be confident in collecting crosses against relegation fodder. Szcz has developed that aspect of his game quite well tbf, as well as shot-stopping. If Ospina can master that aspect of his game he could over-take Szcz as number one. the general consensus from what I have read is that Ospina has a lot of potential to develop, whereas with Szcz it seems he has almost reached his ceiling despite being young.

Latest