The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dhibla
1 - because Israel is supposedly a 'civilised' state favoured by our governments and their actions legitimised in our name. It's interesting that you drew that parallel between ISIS and Israel because the only difference between their actions is the empty and hypocritical justifications given for Israeli actions by westerners such as yourself.
2 - in the 2 protests I've been to (the most recent on Saturday) I haven't heard anything remotely anti-semetic, so these must be isolated, and I can assure you that there is absolutely no consensus in protests for such racist slurs.
3 - I'm not suggesting that anti-semetism is a myth, and horrible events such as the one you described do occur, I'm just stating that such events cannot be used to justify the slaughter of 600+ people.

1 - Israel is a civilised state and not at all like ISIS. If you really think they are the basically the same then you are living in a fantasy world.
2 - I wouldn't take your anecdotal evidence of two protests as evidence against a catalogue of cases. Of course not all protests contain antisemitism but many do.
3 - No one is trying to use antisemitism as justification except in the sense that Hamas are clearly antisemitic.

Simple question - do you agree or disagree that at least some of those who are anti-Israel are motivated by antisemitism?
Original post by #That'sNotMe
The dictionary definition of terror is "the use of extreme fear to intimidate people". The definition of a terrorist is using "violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims". Israel comfortably satisfies this criteria get nobody ever called them terrorists. Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Snagprophet

Israel has given up so much land and people are still no satisfied. .

Aww, must suck having to give up land

Spoiler

Original post by yo radical one
Alright so do would to accept Israel if there were no blockade on Gaza and no settlements in the West Bank?

Anyone would. But when israel was created everyone knew what would happen and that is exactly what has happened. Why do you think Albert Einstein turned down the job as prime minister of Israel? He didn't want the blood of so many civilians on his hand...no sane person would
Original post by TurboCretin
Okay, the issue here is that the the number of resolutions is a meaningless statistic if you don't consider the content - if you are unaware of the general flavour of these resolutions, have a quick look at the link below. It's four years old, but even so it gives you an idea. I would look for a more up-to-date source but I'm currently travelling.

http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2010/01/27/rogue-state-israeli-violations-of-u-n-security-council-resolutions/

I believe that the nature of these resolutions against Israel puts their quantity into perspective.

My point is a simple one which consists of XX steps. Please tell me which, if any, of those steps you disagree with.

1) No sane person can think that Israel's crimes are more severe than those of Syria or Iraq both of which have deliberately murdered hundreds of thousands of civilians.
2) The UN has passed far more resolutions about Israel than about either Syria or Iraq
3) This indicates those UN resolutions have less to do with the level of severity of the crimes and more to do with the biases and agenda of the nations that make up the UN.
I had perfectly legitimate comment removed. So, i will ask again:

2000 years ago, the Italians owned London when they ruled Britain. Does this mean the Italians now have legitimate claim to London today?

No.

As for the OP, he is either a Jewish supremacist or a Shabbos Goy.
Original post by Ben_Dover
Anyone would. But when israel was created everyone knew what would happen and that is exactly what has happened. Why do you think Albert Einstein turned down the job as prime minister of Israel? He didn't want the blood of so many civilians on his hand...no sane person would

That's fine then tbh, but remember that the blockade in Gaza is a response to the rocket fire, Israel has no interest in the Gaza strip at all, the blockade, the shelling, the iron dome, is just a waste of Israeli money.

Einstein is a strange example, his political beliefs were extremely left wing (he was some sort of anarchist) and his relationship with his own Jewish identity was odd too, sometimes he seemed to reject it.
Original post by Ben_Dover

This exactly.
Reply 1588
Original post by UniOfLife
1 - Israel is a civilised state and not at all like ISIS. If you really think they are the basically the same then you are living in a fantasy world.
2 - I wouldn't take your anecdotal evidence of two protests as evidence against a catalogue of cases. Of course not all protests contain antisemitism but many do.
3 - No one is trying to use antisemitism as justification except in the sense that Hamas are clearly antisemitic.

Simple question - do you agree or disagree that at least some of those who are anti-Israel are motivated by antisemitism?

1 - a state that bombs hospitals, disabled facilities, cemetries, churches and mosques is civilised?
2 - I don't care what you think of my case studies. I was just giving examples to prove a point.
3- I'm not justifying hamas' actions. I'm simple criticising Israel's massacre.
I agree but would like to state that the overwhelming majority criticise Israel for humanitarian reasons.
"Israel could do a little more to help civilians" - US State Department

EASA (European Air Safety Agency) issues recommendation to airlines to avoid servicing Tel Aviv Airport.

French Foreign Minister, Laurent Fabius, calls for an end to the "massacres and attacks" by Israeli forces.
That's fine then tbh, but remember that the blockade in Gaza is a response to the rocket fire, Israel has no interest in the Gaza strip at all, the blockade, the shelling, the iron dome, is just a waste of Israeli money.

Einstein is a strange example, his political beliefs were extremely left wing (he was some sort of anarchist) and his relationship with his own Jewish identity was odd too, sometimes he seemed to reject it.

A few other high profile Jews took the same stance as Einstein. But it was israel who started expanding its settlement. Look at the map from the 60s and compare it to today
I backed Israel on this completely, they can't just sit there whilst being randomly shot at all the time. Furthermore the bias given to the 'little guy' in all this was ridiculous, Hamas attacking purely to stoke a reaction and play the victim - the lack of value given to human life is disgusting.

Then Israel went and blew up a hospital, seriously what the ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Agapelove
Why didn't the Ottoman Empire give the Palestinians their own country? Just curious. ?

:smile: or indeed the umayyad arabs after they conquered levant. dont expect an answer from these clowns though

Original post by Agapelove

Anyways, why can't the Palestinians and the Jewish people live together in peace? Why can't the Jewish people have their one Jewish state? Arabs have many Arab states. I know Islam is hostile towards Jews who don't accept Muhammad's claims, but I do think Islam should give the only holy city of Judaism (Jerusalem) back to Judaism. Islam already has Mecca and Medina. The Arabs already have their Arab states. Why hate the one Jewish state so fiercely? Is Judaism and a Jewish Israel in the midst of Muslim-dominated lands a threat to Islam?

dont be shy to make this point sir, its a perfectly valid one. are you a jew? because of course your peoples lands were indeed conquered by the arabs in the first place ( albeit from the romans) who didnt give any part of judea back to you when they took up residence.

the point must also be made that this current conflict is indeed being made complicated by islamic doctrine, so its become more than what it is ( a straightforward border dispute). the islamists have the power in the islamic world and the dogma has always been ' every drop of muslim blood will be sacrificed to restore palestine to islam' - things are never going to go well after that sort of atitude. it must also be pointed out that islamic doctrine in general devalues life - most muslims you talk to will tell you they beleive life on earth is simply a 'test' and their 'real' life begins in 'jannah' (islamic paradise). andso islami is fully of glory for the shaheed ( martyr) whose blood is spilt for islamic causes - islam has a billion potential human sacrifices , and promotes the idea that their lives are worthless in the grand scheme of an islamic territorial success in palestine ( or indeed other conflict zones like chechnya kashmir etc)

the rather pathetic fallacy promoted by people on this thread by trying to stir emotions of palestinian victims of this conflict is that islamists treat the average muslim civilians lives as almost worthless anyway, hamas fire rockets from between their homes, knowing that they are marking their death warrants - and do so with glee
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by imtelling
I had perfectly legitimate comment removed. So, i will ask again:

2000 years ago, the Italians owned London when they ruled Britain. Does this mean the Italians now have legitimate claim to London today?

No.

As for the OP, he is either a Jewish supremacist or a Shabbos Goy.

Italian's? :rofl2: The Italian language didn't even exist during classical antiquity.

I don't understand why people still dispute Jewish Immigrants move to Palestine. What's done is done. The Jews will never leave EVER considering they've built a functioning state.

If we want peace we need to move past this petty stupidity
Original post by Dhibla
I agree but would like to state that the overwhelming majority criticise Israel for humanitarian reasons.

I would like to state that too but I simply don't think it is true. If it were, the implication is that the people protesting are not motivated by who is doing the killing or who is dying only by the fact that people are dying. If that were true then we would see protests in proportion to the death and we do not. We do not see anywhere near the same scale of protests against other, far far larger, instances of mass deaths.

Can you explain this phenomenon?
Original post by tsr1269
You'd go further attacking the statements that he has made instead of trying to decry him with potentially libellous statements.

I've noticed somewhat disturbingly that many of the anti-Muslim posters on this site (you, meenglishisnogood, chindits, felamaslen, yo radical one, observatory etc) are just pro-Israeli.

anti-islamist does not mean by default anti-muslims or pro-israeli. the fact that most muslims it seems dont understand this , is a demonstration of how islamist propaganda is so effective on their tiny minds.

The problem is Israel really has no right to exist in the first place. We (the British) gave it to them due to political pressure/zionist terrorism (stern gang etc.) when we had absolutely no claim to it in the first place. The "British Mandate" is an oxymoron, we had none.

Property is theft, as Proudhon said.
Original post by Meenglishnogood
anti-islamist does not mean by default anti-muslims or pro-israeli. the fact that most muslims it seems dont understand this , is a demonstration of how islamist propaganda is so effective on their tiny minds.

Anti-Islamist = Anti-Muslims

Muslims practice their faith 24/7. You can't turn it off whenever you feel like.
Original post by tsr1269
I didn't realise that I was a "Pakistani Muslim".

Except they didn't. They gained it through IMMIGRATION, not militarily.
:confused:hmmm, the 'migration' of a large heavily armed army of arabs laying siege to the gates of jerusalem.

http://nickvoss.wordpress.com/2011/01/08/islamic-conquests-the-siege-of-jerusalem/

when you read this , you see that the israelis are acting quite moderatly in comparison.

im glad 'immigration' is not undertaken like this today
Reply 1599
Original post by UniOfLife
I would like to state that too but I simply don't think it is true. If it were, the implication is that the people protesting are not motivated by who is doing the killing or who is dying only by the fact that people are dying. If that were true then we would see protests in proportion to the death and we do not. We do not see anywhere near the same scale of protests against other, far far larger, instances of mass deaths.

Can you explain this phenomenon?

Wait, you're arguing that 100,000 people went to a protest in London last Saturday because they hate jews?
Ok. This is how I explain such a phenomenon. People are simply not comfortable by a country which their government supports in THEIR NAME, is slaughtering innocents. For gods sake kids are dying and our country says NOTHING. Massacre is occurring and our foreign office calls it 'self defence' and blames the gazans for their own deaths. We expect better from Israel. We don't want our country supplying massacre. And it is massacre. The atrocities occurring are close to that of Vietnam when the vietcong were hiding in villages and so whole villages would be massacred. And people protested not because they hate their own soldiers but because it was being done in THEIR NAMES. This anti-semetic argument is getting tiresome.

Latest

Trending

Trending