The Student Room Group

Driving lessons AND A Levels?

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Of course it is; thousands of students do it every year. You just need to work hard and dedicate time to both, with your A-levels being the priority of course.
Yes, very. You should be balancing your education with extracurriculars anyway.
I thought that's what everyone did.. :smile: I'll be doing my theory test sometime in this summer i hope. Gotta get down to revising that now as i have spare time.
Yeah it's really not too bad really.

You'll likely only have 1-2 hours of lessons a week (+any extra you do with parents etc) so it doesn't really take up much time.

As for the theory, one you take a look at the questions you realise it's a fair bit of common sense and the things you need to just learn really aren't that hard. You'll probably only need a few days to a week to study for the theory test.
Yes, it's fine. Your theory test is straightforward so long as you learn it and it's nowhere near the same type of intellectual rigor as A-Levels - you just memorize the info in the highway code.
Reply 6
You really overestimate the work of AS levels
Original post by Jkizer
You really overestimate the work of AS levels

Or that of driving lessons. :tongue:
Original post by Pectorac
Of course it is; thousands of students do it every year. You just need to work hard and dedicate time to both, with your A-levels being the priority of course.

I agree.
Original post by PythianLegume
Or that of driving lessons. :tongue:

Hahahah! Do you really think so?! Honestly, that makes me feel so much better! THANK YOU!
Original post by DanMargetts
Hahahah! Do you really think so?! Honestly, that makes me feel so much better! THANK YOU!

As people have said, driving might be 1-2 hours a week. The theory is so easy compared to A-Levels that it's a joke (although don't underestimate it - some people realise it's easy and get caught out without enough preparation).
Original post by Fuenciado
Yeah it's really not too bad really.

You'll likely only have 1-2 hours of lessons a week (+any extra you do with parents etc) so it doesn't really take up much time.

As for the theory, one you take a look at the questions you realise it's a fair bit of common sense and the things you need to just learn really aren't that hard. You'll probably only need a few days to a week to study for the theory test.

Okay, thank you VERY much, I'm really grateful!

I do have 1 more question: would you recommend me starting the lessons in September (when I turn 17), wait a bit until I;m in the 'swing of things' with A Levels, or wait until the summer between AS and A Levels?

Thanks again! :biggrin:
Reply 12
I did all of my driving lessons during my AS levels and I was fine- I did 2 hours of lessons a week (apart from half terms where I did like 5-6 hours). I did all of my driving theory practice at lunchtime on my phone :colondollar: I even did my driving test during the week where I had all of my AS exams (there were none available for months after that date so kind of had to do it then :s-smilie:)

Btw I did biology, chemistry, maths and psychology- doing the driving had no effect whatsoever on them :biggrin:
Never. You'll need to work 24/7 for AS levels to even consider getting As....
Original post by PythianLegume
As people have said, driving might be 1-2 hours a week. The theory is so easy compared to A-Levels that it's a joke (although don't underestimate it - some people realise it's easy and get caught out without enough preparation).

Oh okay, thank you! Of course I will prepare for it!

I do have 1 more question (I have asked another person the same question in this thread):
Would you recommend a) starting my lessons in Sept (when I turn 17) so my AS Levels are just starting off, b) mid-way through when my AS Levels are more intense, or c) in the summer after doing AS and going onto A2 exams? Albeit, I'll be up to my neck in UCAS stuff I imagine...

Thank you again! :wink:
Oh okay, thank you! Of course I will prepare for it!

I do have 1 more question (I have asked another person the same question in this thread):
Would you recommend a) starting my lessons in Sept (when I turn 17) so my AS Levels are just starting off, b) mid-way through when my AS Levels are more intense, or c) in the summer after doing AS and going onto A2 exams? Albeit, I'll be up to my neck in UCAS stuff I imagine...

Thank you again! :wink:

Do it early on.

I'm just starting now and I wish I'd just not been a lazy git :lol:
Original post by joeymr
I did all of my driving lessons during my AS levels and I was fine- I did 2 hours of lessons a week (apart from half terms where I did like 5-6 hours). I did all of my driving theory practice at lunchtime on my phone :colondollar: I even did my driving test during the week where I had all of my AS exams (there were none available for months after that date so kind of had to do it then :s-smilie:)

Btw I did biology, chemistry, maths and psychology- doing the driving had no effect whatsoever on them :biggrin:

Oh wow, what a way to revise, you might as well utilise 21st century technology! :wink:
This answer is SO reassuring as I can relate to you so much and through your A Level choices - which I respect very much by the way!
Thanks again!! :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Do it early on.

I'm just starting now and I wish I'd just not been a lazy git :lol:

Hahahah, oh okay then! Thank you :smile:
Reply 18
Oh wow, what a way to revise, you might as well utilise 21st century technology! :wink:
This answer is SO reassuring as I can relate to you so much and through your A Level choices - which I respect very much by the way!
Thanks again!! :biggrin:

Honestly just download the DVSA theory app (search it on the app store if you have an iPhone) it costs like £4 but its so worth it! Has practice tests, questions, highway code and all the hazard perception stuff you'll need :smile: I just went on it for like 30 minutes a day for two weeks and I passed first time!

Haha thanks :colondollar: good luck!
Doing theory practice using mobile apps is a really good suggestion! I did this using free apps and it helped a lot. Read the whole highway code first though. Once through should be fine. Get a CD for hazard perception, though. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest