The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
The polys don't do them.

Plymouth peninsula, keele, hull, brighton.... All A*AA-AAA
Original post by will2348
If you work in IB, it's more like three to five years.

Don't understand why everyone always assumes a trade-off though. You can work in the City for a period of time, make your money, then leave. You will have options to go into something with more or equivalent or slightly less pay with way better hours that you would not have previously had access to, then you bring up a family in a financially secure environment. That way, rather than struggling when having kids you can actually enjoy the time you spend with them and do more exotic things together.

Money doesn't buy happiness but it solves 99% of the problems that make you unhappy.

For most people, what is above is a good deal. Make a sacrifice during the years where you would probably be messing around anyway then leave and bring up a family and have a financially secure future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ill most likely get shot down here, but I think its a lot easier for men? A guy can work in the city not worry about settling down for years a woman has a biological clock which I suppose will always be at the back of your mind.
Original post by alevelzzz

Note the A*AA/AAA, such things have a standardised minimum entry requirement due to the professions they will enter into. I wouldn't be surprised if private healthcare providers are selective about institutions, and they should pay more than the NHS.
What about medicine/dentistry graduates from ex polys whos a level grades far surpass most RGU students?

A-Levels have nothing on a rigorous undergraduate degree anyway, so it's not really relevant.
Original post by SillyMilly
Ill most likely get shot down here, but I think its a lot easier for men? A guy can work in the city not worry about settling down for years a woman has a biological clock which I suppose will always be at the back of your mind.

Agree and can totally understand that. I think if you're a women though you can work for a few years and then leave still relatively young, have kids and do your own thing that's more flexible if that's what you want.

But yeah, I'm glad I don't have to worry about things like that :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Note the A*AA/AAA, such things have a standardised minimum entry requirement due to the professions they will enter into. I wouldn't be surprised if private healthcare providers are selective about institutions, and they should pay more than the NHS.

The A*AA/AAA is standardised since the courses have to adhere to a similar standard.
You really think a private healthcare provider takes on a new grad? They will have to be at least 10 years into their careers to go into private practice, at this point do you really think they care about the institution the individual graduated from?
Clearly have no idea how medical/dental careers/degrees work
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
A-Levels have nothing on a rigorous undergraduate degree anyway, so it's not really relevant.

Well it is relevant, the entry requirements to these courses are A*AA-AAA, which indicates how difficult the degree is to an extent.
Do you really think that the governing bodies would allow a medical/dental degree to be 'easy' or easier than other medical/dental degrees? I think not.
Well it is relevant, the entry requirements to these courses are A*AA-AAA, which indicates how difficult the degree is to an extent.
Do you really think that the governing bodies would allow a medical/dental degree to be 'easy' or easier than other medical/dental degrees? I think not.

That wasn't what I was trying to say, but anyway the entry requirements to a course is more indicative of how competitive it is, not the difficulty. Furthermore, the point of the GMC governance isn't to make sure no medical degree is harder than another, it's just to ensure all universities offering medicine meet a certain standard - I've seen a report on one of the exams medical students have to take after graduation which found clear differences based on which university they received did their medical degree from.
Original post by Noble.
That wasn't what I was trying to say, but anyway the entry requirements to a course is more indicative of how competitive it is, not the difficulty. Furthermore, the point of the GMC governance isn't to make sure no medical degree is harder than another, it's just to ensure all universities offering medicine meet a certain standard - I've seen a report on one of the exams medical students have to take after graduation which found clear differences based on which university they received did their medical degree.

Point is there is no bias between universities for medicine/dentistry. When you apply for a foundation post, your university isn't on the application as long as you graduated from the UK.
My original point is that there are medical/dental students at ex polys whos academics FAR surpass the vast majority of RGU students.
Point is there is no bias between universities for medicine/dentistry. When you apply for a foundation post, your university isn't on the application as long as you graduated from the UK.
My original point is that there are medical/dental students at ex polys whos academics FAR surpass the vast majority of RGU students.

I know, but just because you don't have to put down where you studied when you apply for a foundation post doesn't mean there aren't differences in medical education.

My reply to your point was actually me trying to say "Why does it matter what you got at A-Level if you've done a rigorous undergraduate degree?" - because how you've done in a highly quantitative degree (for example) at a top university is far more interesting information than how they did at A-Level.
Actuaries and those in that sort of financial sector i would have thought...
Original post by Noble.
I know, but just because you don't have to put down where you studied when you apply for a foundation post doesn't mean there aren't differences in medical education.

My reply to your point was actually me trying to say "Why does it matter what you got at A-Level if you've done a rigorous undergraduate degree?" - because how you've done in a highly quantitative degree (for example) at a top university is far more interesting information than how they did at A-Level.

Well clearly there isn't a big enough difference for there to be an issue, otherwise they would make applicants put their university on the application.

Yes, my point was that there are medical/dental degrees at expolys which are more difficult than the majority of degrees done at RGUs. If a graduate dentist/doctor were to decide they wanted a different career path, im pretty sure an employer would not view these graduates as the same as others, especially when they see their A level results.

Lol, it'd be pretty impossible to guarantee that all courses were of identical difficulty.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol, it'd be pretty impossible to guarantee that all courses were of identical difficulty.

Of course not, but they're more similar than any other degree e.g law, maths, economics etc. since the governing body is going to be very very strict for obvious reasons

Just a note, but Hull and Keele were never polytechnics, and are in fact older than a few Russell Group universities.
Original post by Smack
Just a note, but Hull and Keele were never polytechnics, and are in fact older than a few Russell Group universities.

Point still stands
Reply 556
Only on TSR could this thread descend into such a bore fest.

Can't wait for you all to realise nobody gives a monkey about whether you got 10 A* A-levels or just a regular AAB once you're into uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Key123
Only on TSR could this thread descend into such a bore fest.

Can't wait for you all to realise nobody gives a monkey about whether you got 10 A* A-levels or just a regular AAB once you're into uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Employers do.
Employers do.

In the grand scheme of things very few employers do.
Original post by replyaccount
As a graduate hiring manager now earning over 50k, I can tell you that ultimately depends more on the uni than the degree subject. A first from an old poly in any subject is never going to be worth as much as even a 2:2 from a Red brick/RG uni. Don't even try to kid yourselves.

This was the comment I was replying to.
If you are a graduate hiring manager, and you'd rather hire a geography graduate from UCL than a medicine/dentistry graduate from brighton, then you're an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending