The Student Room Group

A level options.

Hi. I've just done my gcse's and am about to pick my a level options.
I find it really hard because the there is soooooooo much that I enjoy subject wise, and then I have to think about my career prospects in five years time, and blah de blah blah.
So far, I have found it really hard to cut down to these possible options, but I will deffo want to take 5 at AS, and if I choose to do a degree in geology over audiology or radiotherapy, then I will drop biology at A level.
My possible options are-
- Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Classical civilisation
-Ethics and philosophy
Geography

Which ones are really not worth taking? And are there others I should be thinking about.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robb Boratheon
I find it really hard because the there is soooooooo much that I enjoy subject wise, and then I have to think about my career prospects in five years time, and blah de blah blah.
So far, I have found it really hard to cut down to these possible options, but I will deffo want to take 5 at AS, and if I choose to do a degree in geology over audiology or radiotherapy, then I will drop biology at A level.
My possible options are-
- Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Classical civilisation
-Ethics and philosophy
Geography

Which ones are really not worth taking? And are there others I should be thinking about.

Id do physics, chemistry, biology and geography
I've just finished Chemistry AS--- honestly its so much work and you have to be up for it and enjoy it!
Original post by Robb Boratheon
My possible options are-
- Physics
-Chemistry
-Biology
-Classical civilisation
-Ethics and philosophy
Geography

Audiology and radiography degrees contain lot of biology; why would you drop it? You need to know the anatomy and physiology of the ear, the whole body, how artificial medical devices work in the body, how the different audiology conditions affect the body, brain, mental health etc. Radiographers need biology to understand how to take an X-ray, what an X-ray means, what the findings of the X-ray mean to the biology of the patient (cancer, breakages, etc).

You do not need to take 5 subjects at AS-level; it will be waste of time and your grades will suffer, so please don't do it. No audiology or radiography degree will expect 5 AS-levels and they'll find it very strange if you do so. AAAA at AS is better than BBBBB or BBCCC or whatever else. You should take physics, biology, geography and philosophy. Philosophy will give you a greater understanding of medical ethics, patient choice, what people's health and well-being means to them, why patients act in the way they do, etc. Geography will show that you can think about health in a global perspective as geographical health is a big topic in the A-level syllabus, as well as giving you knowledge of the economics and politics involved in healthcare and its provision.

Classical civilisation is not really worth taking as it's just not relevant, neither is chemistry really in comparison to the other subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks. And yeah, I would only drop biology if I went into geology.
Reply 5
DAT name.
HEY FELLOW GEOLOGIST.
I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography :P
I want to study Geology then specialize in volcanology.
I will drop Geography after AS and Do Bio, chem and Geology :smile:
Original post by Marcusroye98
HEY FELLOW GEOLOGIST.
I have chosen Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography :P
I want to study Geology then specialize in volcanology.
I will drop Geography after AS and Do Bio, chem and Geology :smile:

Is volcanology about volcanoes???
Original post by Emerald123
Is volcanology about volcanoes???

Yep! I am obsessed with them -______-!!!

Wow you are someone like me!i always wanted to go inside real volcanoes and see what it is like to be in one.Are you going to go inside one or just observe them without going in???:smile:
you must be really adventurous :eek:
Wow you are someone like me!i always wanted to go inside real volcanoes and see what it is like to be in one.Are you going to go inside one or just observe them without going in???:smile:
you must be really adventurous :eek:

OMG YEY :biggrin:!
I love everything about them! In the film Pompeii which was released recently, i cheered when the volcano erupted xD
I would love to go inside one XD
Im trying to convince my parents to take me to iceland for my birthday :smile:
Don't do classical civilisation or philosophy and ethics. The subjects will go together better without and your workload will be cut down as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love everything about them! In the film Pompeii which was released recently, i cheered when the volcano erupted xD

Lol!
when I used to be small i watched an episode of tom and jerry when Tom gets exploded by a volcano!it was sooo funny that I couldn't stop laughing for an hour:eek:
I really want to go and climb into a volcano and see the rush of lava!i want to go Iceland or where there are dozens of volcanoes !:tongue:

In english once I wrote a story when I was 6 about a girl going into a volcano to get gold(thought lava was gold at 6)!
teacher thought i was nuts!!!!!she started to explain that lava was the stuff to not be messed up with!:colone:
In english once I wrote a story when I was 6 about a girl going into a volcano to get gold(thought lava was gold at 6)!
teacher thought i was nuts!!!!!she started to explain that lava was the stuff to not be messed up with!:colone:

Hhahahah! :biggrin:
Back to normality xD
I checked on UCAS and they said they went science subjects so choose subjects like : Biology, Chemistry, Physics , Maths, Geography , Geology :smile:

OMG!!!
I LOVE VOLCANOLOGY TOO!!!!
Infact, my favourite part of the triple sciences is all to do with geology.
I love learning about plate tectonics, and earth processes, volcanoes and earthquakes. I watch like sooooooo many documentaries on volcanoes, my fave being by ian stewart.
Thanks guys. I will cut classical civilisation, and see how my results for gcse's are. I'm hoping to get at least B's in everything, but have worked harder to get A's and A*'s.
Reply 17

I really don't know why, but the both of your posts really made my day... it's great to see such enthusiasm that was quite comical in a way too. :lol:
Original post by Sulfur
I really don't know why, but the both of your posts really made my day... it's great to see such enthusiasm that was quite comical in a way too. :lol:

Thanks!!!!!!those old days !
Original post by Sulfur

hahhaah! Thanks :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest