The Student Room Group

I'm 20 and i've never sworn, AMA.

Pretty obvious from the title - this is just a general chat, ask me anything.

I understand most people will not believe me since swearing is so frequently used in general communication by most people.

Nevertheless all opinions are welcome on the topic - what do you think about swearing in general, is it needed in society, etc...

Scroll to see replies

Why not?
Those who swear less often appear more intelligent. What do you say in place of swear words?
not even when u caught ur bits in le zipper?
Swear. I beg you. I didn't swear until I was 17, out of principle, and I felt so good and smug, and then I swore and it was beautiful. Please. Swear?
Reply 5
definitely BS
They're just words.
Reply 7
Original post by PythianLegume
Why not?

i could ask the opposite - why do people swear?

for me personally, my parents swear a ridiculous amount.
i've never gotten on with them and it's possibly thart in an effort to convince myself i won't turn out like my parents, i have refrain from swearing.

Original post by The vampire
Those who swear less often appear more intelligent. What do you say in place of swear words?

a little bit of a generalisation
i would say they have more control over themselves - maybe they are more careful about what they say or how they behave; possibly to create a more perceptively intelligent persona?

well since i've grown up using a vocabulary that doesn't involve swearing, i don't feel like i'm using any words in place - they simply didn't exist in my instinctive mental lexicon anyway.
Original post by Leftee
definitely BS

nah man,, what would i gain from lying?
not like a get a little medal for refraining all my life.

in fact, some of the best comedy involves swear words, so if anything it may hinder me socially.
Reply 8
Original post by rayquaza17
They're just words.

fundamentally, yes they are words.

but when you look closer, they are words that we have emotionally conditioned in our societies.

these words aren't generally accepted to be used in normal, typical conversations in public settings such as when speaking to a cashier at the local shop.
however they are used a great deal colloqually in a social sense like at a bar talking with your mates.

they are words, but the meaning of these words makes them much more interesting in use.
Have you ever been tempted to swear? Is swearing part of your future plan?
Reply 10
While you're certainly refined, it's in no way impressive.

I honestly don't get why people focus so much on not swearing. The only benefit of not swearing is that people won't judge you :congrats: Not you per se OP, of course :biggrin: But it certainly doesn't constitute a good person not swearing. Swearing is so embedded in common society that swearing can simply show a connection to the world around you, not that you're a bad person. And not swearing can show the opposite, I'm afraid. :s-smilie: If you do it for religion then I'm sure God values you much more on the good of your actions than the fine lining of your words.

*But to ask a question lol do you do anything else that can show you're a good person? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
fundamentally, yes they are words.

but when you look closer, they are words that we have emotionally conditioned in our societies.

these words aren't generally accepted to be used in normal, typical conversations in public settings such as when speaking to a cashier at the local shop.
however they are used a great deal colloqually in a social sense like at a bar talking with your mates.

they are words, but the meaning of these words makes them much more interesting in use.

TBH They are generally accepted around my area.

PS: Why do you have your full name and location on TSR?
Reply 12
Original post by The vampire
Have you ever been tempted to swear? Is swearing part of your future plan?

not really.

it's just something i don't do.
when i hurt myself or am in a position of extremely heightened emotion, my first instincts are not to swear.

a lot of the time in such situations, people almost swear as a reflexive response.
since i don't really have those responses with swear words, the only way i would ever see myself swearing is if i consciously did it in a controlled situation - something i do not intend to do.
Reply 13
Original post by rayquaza17
TBH They are generally accepted around my area.

PS: Why do you have your full name and location on TSR?

they may be to a certain extent, however i maintain that if you went in to tesco swearing loudly on the phone, you would be meeted with a fair amount of disgust.
there is nothing wrong with swearing, however we all know that there is a time and a place for it.

you would consciously refrain from swearing in a church simply because you don't believe it to be the right setting for such language.

oh yeah, well i made this account several years back; not one of my brightest moments tbh.
although i'm not really bothered about it - people can know all about me, i'm not concerned with safety issues surrounding it.
What's your secret?
Reply 15
Original post by ApeMob
While you're certainly refined, it's in no way impressive.

I honestly don't get why people focus so much on not swearing. The only benefit of not swearing is that people won't judge you :congrats: Not you per se OP, of course :biggrin: But it certainly doesn't constitute a good person not swearing. Swearing is so embedded in common society that swearing can simply show a connection to the world around you, not that you're a bad person. And not swearing can show the opposite, I'm afraid. :s-smilie: If you do it for religion then I'm sure God values you much more on the good of your actions than the fine lining of your words.

*But to ask a question lol do you do anything else that can show you're a good person? :smile:

yes i am refined, and no i did not post this thread to impress people.
i don't see why it would tbh.

i don't refrain from swearing bnecause i don't want people to judge me, i just never ended up doing it.
when you get to a certain age and you still haven't sworn, you think to yourself that maybe it isn't actually needed.

i acknowledge your argument - you speak the truth.
in addition, swearing can be used as an emotional release in place of physical violence for instance.

however i have never felt any negative effects from not swearing - it isn't like i'm holding it all in to one day burst and unleash a barrage of verbal abuse on a random individual.

i am simply not used to it, there is no need for it in my life, therefore i do not use such words.

swearing does not define a good or bad person, but i certainly don't believe it to be a bad thing that i do not swear.
Reply 16
Original post by themorninglight
What's your secret?

alas, there is no secret.
all i would say is that it is all about self-control.

i always think of swearing as an addiction, comparable (but much less severe) to smoking or drinking.
it would be a rare occurance for a regular swearer to learn to control their emotions enough that they abstained from said words altogether.

i must maintain that swearing is not a bad thing - i do not look down on anybody that says these words.

however i merely have no use for them.
Reply 17
I take it you've never stepped on Lego, right?
Reply 18
You look like Simon from the Inbetweeners mate lol

Reply 19
Sweaaaar down m8?

Quick Reply

Latest