The Student Room Group

I'm 20 and i've never sworn, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
yes i am refined, and no i did not post this thread to impress people.
i don't see why it would tbh.

i don't refrain from swearing bnecause i don't want people to judge me, i just never ended up doing it.
when you get to a certain age and you still haven't sworn, you think to yourself that maybe it isn't actually needed.

i acknowledge your argument - you speak the truth.
in addition, swearing can be used as an emotional release in place of physical violence for instance.

however i have never felt any negative effects from not swearing - it isn't like i'm holding it all in to one day burst and unleash a barrage of verbal abuse on a random individual.

i am simply not used to it, there is no need for it in my life, therefore i do not use such words.

swearing does not define a good or bad person, but i certainly don't believe it to be a bad thing that i do not swear.

Does this mean swearing has an undercurrent of impurities or rage? If you meant that I can see the reasoning in that, though it's not always the case, and if not, then nevermind you know lol
Do you swear in your head?
Reply 22
Original post by ApeMob
Does this mean swearing has an undercurrent of impurities or rage? If you meant that I can see the reasoning in that, though it's not always the case, and if not, then nevermind you know lol

what i meant is that people generally swear when they have heightened emotion.
i am of course not saying that swearing alleviates emotion completely - it does little for a chronic situation in all honesty.

but particularly in the short term, swearing or physical violence can both provide a return of emotion to "typical" levels.

therefore, going back to my original point, i would much rather somebody swear at me than punch me so in my view swearing is not a bad thing in general.
Reply 23
Original post by chocolatesauce
Do you swear in your head?

no i dont.

as i said previously, swearing is not a big part of my instinctive mental lexicon, therefore they will not be words i even consider using.

most people have emotional conditioning with swear words.
since i have never used one, i do not have the same level of conditioning - i have only seen them being used by somebody else.

they offer me very little more emotional release than most other words.
no i dont.

as i said previously, swearing is not a big part of my instinctive mental lexicon, therefore they will not be words i even consider using.

most people have emotional conditioning with swear words.
since i have never used one, i do not have the same level of conditioning - i have only seen them being used by somebody else.

they offer me very little more emotional release than most other words.

Do you look down on people that swear?
Reply 25
Original post by chocolatesauce
Do you look down on people that swear?

i do not.

i understand that for most people, swearing is just a natural, normal part of communication.
as stated previously, swearing can enhance humour and it can help people connect through conversation.

if used "in the right way", swearing is not a bad thing.
i appreciate it's use in some people, however in others i feel like they could perhaps overuse the words just for the sake of social rebellion.
i always think of swearing as an addiction, comparable (but much less severe) to smoking or drinking.
it would be a rare occurance for a regular swearer to learn to control their emotions enough that they abstained from said words altogether.

I agree, I never used to swear (ever) until a few years ago and now it's veeeery difficult to stop. The only way I can get around it is by using replacement words and even that doesn't work sometimes
Reply 27
Original post by themorninglight
I agree, I never used to swear (ever) until a few years ago and now it's veeeery difficult to stop. The only way I can get around it is by using replacement words and even that doesn't work sometimes

definitely - using the word fudge instead of it's similar sounding swear word will not have the same effect.
the problem with replacement words is that they do not have the same conditioning as swear words.

think about it this way.
you grew up in a society where the young are not generally permitted to swear (i.e: parents forbid it).
so as a child, you are straightaway associating swear words with something only an adult can do, almost in the same way that only an adult is allowed to drink or gamble.

in addition, as stated numberous times previously, swearing is used in times of heightened emotion.
when you first come to an age where you "can" swear, you already have predetermined conditioning through your childhood.

even though i have never sworn, i still believe that using a swear word would give me a greater emotional release than another random word, simply because of the perception of said words in modern day behaviour.

this is all theoretical and entirely my opinion of course though.
Pretty obvious from the title - this is just a general chat, ask me anything.

I understand most people will not believe me since swearing is so frequently used in general communication by most people.

Nevertheless all opinions are welcome on the topic - what do you think about swearing in general, is it needed in society, etc...

^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty obvious from the title - this is just a general chat, ask me anything.

I understand most people will not believe me since swearing is so frequently used in general communication by most people.

Nevertheless all opinions are welcome on the topic - what do you think about swearing in general, is it needed in society, etc...

Good on you, everyone I know I have heard swear so it's unusual to hear that someone has never. I don't think there is any need for it, really; yet, it does get views across more, anger out (when necessary), when debating, arguing and when in pain (i.e. Stubbing your toe) haha. It also expresses the extremities of a view, or pain I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do u do in life?
Reply 31
Original post by GeschichteJunge
Good on you, everyone I know I have heard swear so it's unusual to hear that someone has never. I don't think there is any need for it, really; yet, it does get views across more, anger out (when necessary), when debating, arguing and when in pain (i.e. Stubbing your toe) haha. It also expresses the extremities of a view, or pain I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i admit it is a very unusual occurance to find somebody who has never sworn.
however it is also neither a good or a bad thing in my view, simply a choice than one makes.

i agree - it provides a greater intensity to what you are doing, be it telling a story or being in pain.

personally i don't think it is needed however it is such an integral part of human behaviour nowadays that it is almost expected that you have sworn in your life.

Original post by Kabulkid
what do u do in life?

what do you mean?

what do you mean?

u studying/working?

if ur studying what subject and of ur working thats ur job?
Reply 33
u studying/working?

if ur studying what subject and of ur working thats ur job?

oh right, i'm just a psychology student at university.

my course has no effect on my choice not to swear, although i do suppose it helps me understand a little better.
oh right, i'm just a psychology student at university.

my course has no effect on my choice not to swear, although i do suppose it helps me understand a little better.

do u try hard not to swear?

like are you always in constant fear of saying a swear word?
Reply 35
do u try hard not to swear?

like are you always in constant fear of saying a swear word?

actually no - there is no effort going in to not swearing.

they just aren't words that i use, so i don't even think about using them.

the only fear would be accidentally saying one, but since they aren't words that come to me instinctively, that's not gonna happen.

even so, it isn't like i would explode if i ever say a swear word anyway - nothing would happen, but i just prefer not to
actually no - there is no effort going in to not swearing.

they just aren't words that i use, so i don't even think about using them.

the only fear would be accidentally saying one, but since they aren't words that come to me instinctively, that's not gonna happen.

even so, it isn't like i would explode if i ever say a swear word anyway - nothing would happen, but i just prefer not to

so whats your replacement for the following words:

phuck
cock (penis)
pussy (vagina)
**** (see above)

edit: do u guys class sht and crap as swear words?
Reply 37
so whats your replacement for the following words:

phuck
cock (penis)
pussy (vagina)
**** (see above)

edit: do u guys class sht and crap as swear words?

i don't have replacements.

i never used those words to begin with, so i haven't conditioned specific replacements to any.

regarding the edit, yes i do :smile:
i don't have replacements.

i never used those words to begin with, so i haven't conditioned specific replacements to any.

regarding the edit, yes i do :smile:

were ur parents strict?
x

Firstly, I need clarification on one thing. Have you literally never used a swear word, or have you just not sworn out of anger, as an emotional release or however you want to put it?

If the earlier is true, hasn't there been situations where you've almost felt you had to use a swear word? Say, when reading out loud to a class during A-levels or something, in a play, etc? It's really quite hard to believe that you've never sworn. It could even be as simple as you hearing your parents swear at a young age, and you not comprehending that it's a 'bad' word and repeating it.

Quick Reply

Latest