The Student Room Group

Any point in applying for a Job now?

Hello,

I have two months until I start university and I have absolutely nothing to do. I've applied for a few temporary jobs in retails already with no luck. :frown: Is it even possible to get temporary work for two months? I feel hopeless. Im an undergrad with little experience.

Scroll to see replies

long time bae u still around
Reply 2
Trust me I was feeling the same thing, just push on see what you can get asap
Reply 3
I feel the same, less than 2 months until University and I haven't heard anything back :frown:
Reply 4
Bar glass collector?
Original post by corax
I feel the same, less than 2 months until University and I haven't heard anything back :frown:

Yay Someone on the boat as me ,I've been rejected by next , McDonald's (4times now) ,primark (3times) and now KFC

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
We're all in the same boat lol, good to know
I had two interviews this week, if I don't hear back I don't know what I'm gonna do
Reply 7
Original post by livealittle
Yay Someone on the boat as me ,I've been rejected by next , McDonald's (4times now) ,primark (3times) and now KFC
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's annoying right! I applied to Primark a few weeks back and haven't heard anything :frown: I might try applying for McDonalds again, most people I know seem to have a job there.

Applying for Pizza Hut now as they have loads of vacancies it seems, hopefully I'll hear something!
Original post by corax
It's annoying right! I applied to Primark a few weeks back and haven't heard anything :frown: I might try applying for McDonalds again, most people I know seem to have a job there.

Applying for Pizza Hut now as they have loads of vacancies it seems, hopefully I'll hear something!

Half of the people that went to my secondary school work at McDonald's -.-
I wish I had applied sooner or got one at the start of sixth form.Regret leaving it this late .
My local Pizza Hut has a few ,I'll give them a try :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zedaa
We're all in the same boat lol, good to know
I had two interviews this week, if I don't hear back I don't know what I'm gonna do

Keep reapplying :smile:
What's there to do:frown:
Where were your interviews?At least you got past the first stage :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Half of the people that went to my secondary school work at McDonald's -.-
I wish I had applied sooner or got one at the start of sixth form.Regret leaving it this late .
My local Pizza Hut has a few ,I'll give them a try :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I tried to get a temporary one at Christmas but I didn't do too well in the group interviews :colondollar:
Although I wanted one, I'm sort of glad I didn't have a job through A Levels as I know people who didn't put as much effort in due to job commitments :/
Reply 11
Try applying for summer camps in the UK, or work on a campsite, or adventure park or something like that. Things like that are over the summer, temporary and often provide accommodation too! And they usually pay quite well. Or just go into your local pubs and bars and apply for work there.
Original post by NaomiMG
I tried loads of big stores but was rejected from them all- look at small local cafés I got a job straight away (like same day as I applied) at a cafe 5 mins from my house :smile:x I'm in the same boat as well, just started working three weeks ago and I start uni in September

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow you are lucky ,I'll definitely try small cafés and restaurants .Big companies have literally slapped me right in the face .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by corax
I tried to get a temporary one at Christmas but I didn't do too well in the group interviews :colondollar:
Although I wanted one, I'm sort of glad I didn't have a job through A Levels as I know people who didn't put as much effort in due to job commitments :/

One of my friends had 3 jobs and quit one in January .How she did it -.- I don't know .Money is evil!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nerol
Try applying for summer camps in the UK, or work on a campsite, or adventure park or something like that. Things like that are over the summer, temporary and often provide accommodation too! And they usually pay quite well. Or just go into your local pubs and bars and apply for work there.

I assume summer camps and things like that would've already hired their staff by now.

Anyway I agree that pubs and bar are probably the best bet right now to find a job since they're usually hire people all the time - I think. But do you or anyone know of any websites that I could apply through for pubs and bar jobs?
Reply 15
Keep reapplying :smile:
What's there to do:frown:
Where were your interviews?At least you got past the first stage :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

John lewis and boots lol yeah.. I guess :smile: I got a interview for the 7th August, but I was thinking that its too late.. ugh!
Reply 16
Original post by Jack93o
But do you or anyone know of any websites that I could apply through for pubs and bar jobs?

I use Indeed jobs and sometimes on there you can apply through the site. Whenever I've applied to pubs/restaurants I've done it through sending my CV in an email.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bless you.
Hey you can check the Primarks career site. They have alot of job listings, and I think I saw a few temp jobs. Theres also New Look and other stores. Just gotta look around and grab what you can find!
Original post by corax
I use Indeed jobs and sometimes on there you can apply through the site. Whenever I've applied to pubs/restaurants I've done it through sending my CV in an email.

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you find those emails from the indeed website?

what I've found is that most of the job openings want you to work for a few months minimum, but I can only work until mid sept before I go back to uni. They also want previous experience as well, brilliant :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending