The Student Room Group

New maths and further maths A Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
This doesn't affect the current Edexcel exams right sir?

first teaching in September 2016
Original post by TenOfThem
first teaching in September 2016

ty, and does the current spec still exist until and including june 2017?
ty, and does the current spec still exist until and including june 2017?

yes
Sure - but I do not know why the comment was aimed at me - I was just pointing out to Tiny Hobbit that they were not for general distribution

I'm being too subtle. My point is it's annoying the papers are easily available except you can't share them under the terms of the Emporium. If I were you I might not have paid as much attention to those terms (but completely respect the fact you do!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shamika
I'm being too subtle. My point is it's annoying the papers are easily available except you can't share them under the terms of the Emporium. If I were you I might not have paid as much attention to those terms :wink:

Papers are available from other sources, as I said in my first post

Graham provides a great service - I would not dream of abusing that
Papers are available from other sources, as I said in my first post

Graham provides a great service - I would not dream of abusing that

You didn't let me finish! (I hit reply too soon)
Original post by newblood
DO you guys or anyone else for that matter have access to an S-Level (further?) maths paper that you could perhaps upload. I believe I have the 1970 and 1962 ones ... 1970 special paper and 1962 scholarship paper....do they mean S-Levels do you think?

Here are a few more S Levels plus some other really hard sums

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm

The odd thing is that there must be more old maths papers on the internet than every other subject combined. Now I know that maths hasn't changed much in the last 50 years, 2+2 wasn't 3 before inflation but Heathcliffe's motivations have remained pretty stable as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
This doesn't affect the current Edexcel exams right sir?

No. The clue is in the "from September 2016" bit.
Original post by nulli tertius
Here are a few more S Levels plus some other really hard sums

http://www.mathshelper.co.uk/oxb.htm

The odd thing is that there must be more old maths papers on the internet than every other subject combined. Now I know that maths hasn't changed much in the last 50 years, 2+2 wasn't 3 before inflation but Heathcliffe's motivations have remained pretty stable as well.

Haha i got the first few S-Level papers ages ago from that link when i tried the old oxford entrance exams but thanks for the others, ill have to have a go at them.

How do they compare to AEA and STEP in your opinion?
Original post by Mr M
No. The clue is in the "from September 2016" bit.

yes sir, duly noted.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing :yep:

Is the change good in your opinion?

Thanks for all the constant new info, appreciated.
yes sir, duly noted.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing :yep:

Is the change good in your opinion?

Thanks for all the constant new info, appreciated.

I don't think the change is bad. I probably should wait for specifications and specimen papers before commenting further.
Original post by Mr M
I don't think the change is bad. I probably should wait for specifications and specimen papers before commenting further.

Would you say that the exam papers 2013-2014 series are notably harder than they were in previous years, with the same spec?
Would you say that the exam papers 2013-2014 series are notably harder than they were in previous years, with the same spec?

No. I wouldn't say they were any harder but I have only seen OCR papers.
Original post by newblood
Haha i got the first few S-Level papers ages ago from that link when i tried the old oxford entrance exams but thanks for the others, ill have to have a go at them.

How do they compare to AEA and STEP in your opinion?

Sorry, that's above my pay grade. I was never enough of a mathematician to be allowed to play with these.
Original post by nulli tertius
Sorry, that's above my pay grade. I was never enough of a mathematician to be allowed to play with these.

im sure youre being far too modest, but they look on par with STEP.

Id certainly be interested to see how much harder the cambridge college entrance exams (CCE) are compared to STEP...but thats an entrance exam rather than qualification so ill probably never see that sadly

Original post by Mr M

From what i understand most exam boards, especially OCR Chemistry, Edexcel maths, OCR Physics and from what i hear AQA Economics, OCR Biology and AQA Geography exams have been noticeably harder this series. it's subjective though
Original post by Mutleybm1996
From what i understand most exam boards, especially OCR Chemistry, Edexcel maths, OCR Physics and from what i hear AQA Economics, OCR Biology and AQA Geography exams have been noticeably harder this series. it's subjective though

Original post by Mr M

Apart from Core 3 edexcel, every math exam that I took was noticeably harder than usual.

tbf ocr unit 1 mechanics was a joke(extremely more difficult than the usual), the rest of the series of ocr a physics were okay papers.
Original post by Mutleybm1996

Indeed it is subjective. I've heard the same thing every year for the last decade.
if i wanted to resit a module or two next year, i can still do that right? Just not sure about the new a levels etc and when the current ones will finish

ps i'm in year 13 and have finished school
Original post by Ilovemaths96
if i wanted to resit a module or two next year, i can still do that right? Just not sure about the new a levels etc and when the current ones will finish

ps i'm in year 13 and have finished school

You can resit modules in May/June 2015 or later.

Quick Reply