The Student Room Group

I'm 20 and i've never sworn, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Kabulkid
were ur parents strict?

very much so.

they swore a great deal but were very strict about almost everything.
interestingly the one thing they weren't bothered about was when i had to return home by (i.e: a rough curfew).
Original post by Luke_Mckeown
very much so.

they swore a great deal but were very strict about almost everything.
interestingly the one thing they weren't bothered about was when i had to return home by (i.e: a rough curfew).

where do u study?
Reply 42
Original post by Alrounder79
Firstly, I need clarification on one thing. Have you literally never used a swear word, or have you just not sworn out of anger, as an emotional release or however you want to put it?

If the earlier is true, hasn't there been situations where you've almost felt you had to use a swear word? Say, when reading out loud to a class during A-levels or something, in a play, etc? It's really quite hard to believe that you've never sworn. It could even be as simple as you hearing your parents swear at a young age, and you not comprehending that it's a 'bad' word and repeating it.

to clarify, i have never used a swear word in any situation in the 20 years i have lived so far.

i understand the difficulty in believing me since it is an extraordinarily rare circumstance in modern society for somebody my age to have never sworn.

but no, i have never been inclined to swear simply because (as frequently mentioned above) i have spent enough time refraining from using the words that they have no real meaning to me now.
Reply 43
I swear on a more or less daily basis lol.
Reply 44
where do u study?

I study at university in newcastle.

got my final year coming up :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Coke1
I swear on a more or less daily basis lol.

most people do man.

not a bad thing by any means.
i don't swear simply because i don't want to and i don't feel i need to.

that doesn't mean i believe everybody else shouldn't swear too.
I study at university in newcastle.

got my final year coming up :smile:

i see, what r ur plans for the future?
Pretty obvious from the title - this is just a general chat, ask me anything.

I understand most people will not believe me since swearing is so frequently used in general communication by most people.

Nevertheless all opinions are welcome on the topic - what do you think about swearing in general, is it needed in society, etc...

Neither and I don't intend to :tongue:
Is it difficult because you are older now and your friends or groups are maybe more likely to swear?
Posted from TSR Mobile
That's bull****. Even Marian has sworn.
Reply 49
i see, what r ur plans for the future?

i'm not sure really
i'll either do a masters in psychology or go on to a training course to teach it at college level :smile:

Original post by karmacrunch
Neither and I don't intend to :tongue:
Is it difficult because you are older now and your friends or groups are maybe more likely to swear?
Posted from TSR Mobile

good for you :smile:

if anything, it is quite the opposite.
i'm at an age now where people don't care.
they may be surprised on learning it, but there isn't anything close to peer pressure noww

why, how do you find it to be?
Practice makes perfect, my advise to you.
I don't get the whole stigma behind swearing . . . what's the point of looking down on someone just because they've employed a word that your parents/society says is 'bad'? I don't get the whole concept of swear words because it's pretty pointless people designating words as 'bad' just for the sake of it. I see swear words as words which often let you express your feelings in a more-to-the-point manner. If someone tells me to stop swearing I tell them to think for their self.
Reply 52
Original post by UnknownRoyalist
That's bull****. Even Marian has sworn.

i suggest you read the 3 pages in this thread, then come back to me.

you are entitled to your opinion, however i assure you that i do not lie here.
How can we get the LFC thread back to its former glory?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alludeen1
I don't get the whole stigma behind swearing . . . what's the point of looking down on someone just because they've employed a word that your parents/society says is 'bad'? I don't get the whole concept of swear words because it's pretty pointless people designating words as 'bad' just for the sake of it. I see swear words as words which often let you express your feelings in a more-to-the-point manner. If someone tells me to stop swearing I tell them to think for their self.

This. 'Swear words' are just a function of how we are brought up and the society we live in. But they have a purpose in our society, just like how we invented numbers to count.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 55
thats some bull**** **** to the bull

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm not sure really
i'll either do a masters in psychology or go on to a training course to teach it at college level :smile:

good for you :smile:

if anything, it is quite the opposite.
i'm at an age now where people don't care.
they may be surprised on learning it, but there isn't anything close to peer pressure noww

why, how do you find it to be?

Oh that's interesting! Well in my year so many people swear unnecessarily. There is no point and it gets really annoying! Not everyone but quite a few. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you going to swear that you've never sworn?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by karmacrunch
Oh that's interesting! Well in my year so many people swear unnecessarily. There is no point and it gets really annoying! Not everyone but quite a few. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

personally i believe everybody has the right to say what they like (to a point), and everybody can swear if they wish.

i don't do it myself but i won't look down on anybody that does.

to me it is just a simple choice.
Reply 59
Swearing is a good method of pain relief, both mentally and physically

Quick Reply

Latest