The Student Room Group

Uni friends

Do you still see/keep in touch with your closest friends and/or housemates from uni even years on? Or are you closer to your home friends? Do you grow distant from your uni friends?
Yeah I dont keep in contact with them. People just seem to move on. Especially when you get a new set of housemates, its really quite hard to keep in contact with your old mates
Original post by Ybsy75
Do you still see/keep in touch with your closest friends and/or housemates from uni even years on? Or are you closer to your home friends? Do you grow distant from your uni friends?

My best friend from university is my future bridesmaid :smile:

Yes, I would say that some of the friends you make at uni will be your nearest and dearest for the rest of your life and some will fade away as the years pass by. Facebook definately makes it a lot easier to keep in touch though. I've found that as life moves on i.e. careers, partners - just general "settling down" it can be harder to keep in touch. I used to spend a lot of weekends travelling round the country to catch up with friends from uni but this has gradually declined as the the years have gone by. If I bumped in to anyone tomorrow I would give them a massive hug because it would be amazing to see them - I have super fond memories, but sometimes real-life just gets in the way. It's not personal by any means just hard to keep in touch with everyone whilst balancing out personal life and local commitments.

Many of my best friends from school are still very close friends and I see them regularly :biggrin:
Original post by Ybsy75

Only graduated a week ago but will give opinion anyway.

Am planning on keeping in touch with my close uni friends but the half-friends/acquaintances will soon be forgotten and then culled off facebook within a year or so when i've forgotten who they are.

And uni friends often move about for work fairly quickly after uni so become harder to see regularly.
Original post by Ybsy75

Most of my friends these days are scattered across the world, so it's hard to keep in touch.

It's okay though, because even if you haven't spoken to someone in over a year when you see them again it's like the separation never happened. My closest friend I knew from college, but we ended up going to the same uni and living together in third year - I think that we will always be in contact even though I've lived on two different continents and they live on the other side of the country now.

There's not much point in clinging on to friendships which have naturally drifted apart. There are always new people who come into your life. Friendships have a natural lifespan I guess.

Also in my experience people have a funny way of coming back into your life when you least expect it. It's hard to get rid of them. :wink:
Original post by Ybsy75

housemates no, coursemates i'll try and talk to but it will be difficult to maintain a close friendship because we will be in different cities and countries
Reply 6
So would you say school friends tend to remain friends for life more than uni friends?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending