The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nymthae
Ah, but the beauty of your course is your industrial placement! I've saved something like 3-3.5k this year, and that's earning minimum wage.

Apparently only 20 out of the 150 on my course actually get a placement, but if I do, it will all go into saving for a house/car.
Maintenance Loan: £2575
Maintenance Grant: £5161
Bursaries: £3000
Scholarships: 0
Savings: £3500, more after I finish my internship
Money from Parents:

Yes, I come from a poor family. I have four siblings so I my parents can't afford to support me whatsoever.

All of the money I have saved has been earned over the years.

It may seem like a lot for a student but consider the fact that it's all I really have and have no other savings etc.

Accommodation Cost: Around £5000, maybe a little less.
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Just under £200? Though I'll be saving as much as I can and assuming I keep my current savings

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £2000
Scholarships: £2000
Savings: Few thousand but I wont be using this for uni
Money from Parents: £50 per week (If my dad actually sticks to his promises for once)

Accommodation Cost: £4389 (Although on a waiting list for an ensuite which is more)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £181 I think (52 weeks of the year)

Benefits of having a single mum who earns very little

Despite getting a large amount of money for uni I do believe the current system is unfair. On paper a family might have a very high income, in reality they could be really struggling but student finance doesn't care how much money your parents have to spare, only their income. And what if the parents don't support their childs decision to move away to uni, or go to uni at all! I've heard of parents refusing to support their child if they move away for uni, and refusing to support them because the parents believe they're doing a pointless course. I know what it's like living in a poor household but I'm not spiteful about it like some people seem to be, low income on paper although I wouldn't say we struggle, but there are people who have a much higher income that do struggle. Parents shouldn't be forced to support their children once they're adults, especially when most of people's student loans are paid back anyway
(edited 9 years ago)
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £3000
Scholarships: None
Savings: £1000
Money from Parents: None

Accommodation Cost: £4368 (39 Weeks)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £172
Original post by Samual
Oh please, £55k is not comfortable? I swear people on TSR need a reality check.

There are four people in my family on a household income of £15,000 (and no, we don't live in a council house and we're not in receipt of any benefits). That means no holidays, no cars, lots of second hand furniture/school uniforms, freeview TV, no pets, no pocket money when we growing up, no mobile phones or computers which we didn't pay for ourselves, no visiting family that lived beyond a bus ride away. And the thing is, there are millions of people who are far worse off than we were. And you think you deserve the same financial support as me? :rolleyes::lol:

Amen :clap2:
Reply 105
Original post by cassicles
Maintenance Loan: None
Maintenance Grant: None
Bursaries: None
Scholarships: Waiting until results day, but hopefully about £1,000
Savings: £700
Money from Parents: If it all goes to plan, maybe £200 every fortnight.

Accommodation Cost: £108 p/w (£4553 if I get the accommodation I want)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £50-£70

Wow no maintenance Loan or Grant? How come?

Original post by alexyyyy
Okay well this is worrying. I've got no grant and the accommodation is something like 4,000 and I'm getting a loan of 3,400....

What about Bursaries and Scholarships from your university? If not then you'll have to find a student bank account with the highest overdraft and use that. For paying the rest of the accommodation and living expenses.

Original post by RoundTrip
The system really is stupid. I'll be going uni this September after having worked in my apprenticeship where I earned a decent wage (for an apprenticeship) and I still live with my parents and have no debts. I also worked a second part time job. Because I'm 25 now they only take my income into account which means I am getting the full loan and grant as well bursaries from the uni. I wouldn't have got anything if my parents income was considered. This is all fine but...

The system doesnt take it account the fact I have saved around £20000 in an ISA, drive an RS Clio worth about £12000 and have absolutely no responsibilities. Now I'm not bragging, I was fully expecting to have to dip into my savings and get rid of my car when I went uni. However there's no point as with the ridiculous amount of "support" I'll receive there's no point. So with grants and bursaries that don't need to be paid back amounting to over around £20000 I'm gonna have more money that I know what to do with. There's no point turning it down but it's totally not fair how I have been given all this when I am fully capable of funding it myself. Oh well that's my ISA allowance and house deposit sorted I guess.

Meanwhile I have friends who got the minimum loan/grant who's parents wouldn't/couldn't support them have to move back home because they couldn't afford uni. Absolutely ridiculous.

It all worked out :smile:
Original post by David B
Wow no maintenance Loan or Grant? How come?

My parents' household income is over the bracket for Grant and my dad can handle paying for my education right now haha.
Maintenance Loan: 3613
Maintenance Grant: 3106
Bursaries: 2000
Savings: 0
Money from Parents: 0/Very little

Accommodation Cost: 6160 (44 week contract- gas/electric/water/internet/laundry services all included)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: 26
(this is also after paying off my overdraft from last year which is currently 1400)(OR 12.70 after I've paid for an annual travel-card and books which I already know will cost 300, and that is including second-hand books!!! Chemistry books are just REALLL expensive!!!)(OR 11 if you take off my 5 a month mobile bill)

I already know I will be going deep into my overdraft this year as it's my final year which is the most
expensive. What also sucks is how the loan is split throughout the year, the smallest amounts are paid in the first two terms and usually in the last term is when you get the biggest chunk of your loan. Good for lasting the summer but crap as the first term of uni is always the most expensive. You pay for things in first term such as books, travel-cards, gym/society memberships etc that you don't need to pay for in the other terms. My accommodation is also asking for the first payment a month before I receive my loan, so when the day comes that I DO receive my loan, it will in fact just be paying off overdraft and until January I will be living off overdraft again.

I'm also from a "poor" family who has no money boohoohoo however even with the loans and bursaries I'm receiving, which seem to be the maximum I'm entitled to, I'm still struggling to pay for things.
Another problem I'm finding is that this year I'm receiving less loan/grant than I did in the first and second year, this year being based on my parents' income from 2012/13 (I think?) which has changed very little, probably only by a few hundred pounds, so I don't understand why my loan/grant has been cut massively. Also this year one of my parents is out of work due to illness and so their income for this year will be worlds apart from what it was in 2012/13 when I started uni, therefore I won't be expecting any handouts from parents this year, as they'll be living off one person's income and also supporting another child.

Of course I'm hoping to find a job to help with my funds, however as I'm in my final and most important year, I'm worried that I'll spend too much time either studying or working that I'll just burn out and it will do me more harm than good and have an effect on my grades.

:rolleyes: And they say students have it easy :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Franetta
Maintenance Loan: 3613
Maintenance Grant: 3106
Bursaries: 2000
Savings: 0
Money from Parents: 0/Very little

Accommodation Cost: 6160 (44 week contract- gas/electric/water/internet/laundry services all included)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: 26
(this is also after paying off my overdraft from last year which is currently 1400)(OR 12.70 after I've paid for an annual travel-card and books which I already know will cost 300, and that is including second-hand books!!! Chemistry books are just REALLL expensive!!!)(OR 11 if you take off my 5 a month mobile bill)

I already know I will be going deep into my overdraft this year as it's my final year which is the most
expensive. What also sucks is how the loan is split throughout the year, the smallest amounts are paid in the first two terms and usually in the last term is when you get the biggest chunk of your loan. Good for lasting the summer but crap as the first term of uni is always the most expensive. You pay for things in first term such as books, travel-cards, gym/society memberships etc that you don't need to pay for in the other terms. My accommodation is also asking for the first payment a month before I receive my loan, so when the day comes that I DO receive my loan, it will in fact just be paying off overdraft and until January I will be living off overdraft again.

I'm also from a "poor" family who has no money boohoohoo however even with the loans and bursaries I'm receiving, which seem to be the maximum I'm entitled to, I'm still struggling to pay for things.
Another problem I'm finding is that this year I'm receiving less loan/grant than I did in the first and second year, this year being based on my parents' income from 2012/13 (I think?) which has changed very little, probably only by a few hundred pounds, so I don't understand why my loan/grant has been cut massively. Also this year one of my parents is out of work due to illness and so their income for this year will be worlds apart from what it was in 2012/13 when I started uni, therefore I won't be expecting any handouts from parents this year, as they'll be living off one person's income and also supporting another child.

Of course I'm hoping to find a job to help with my funds, however as I'm in my final and most important year, I'm worried that I'll spend too much time either studying or working that I'll just burn out and it will do me more harm than good and have an effect on my grades.

:rolleyes: And they say students have it easy :rolleyes:

If you're going into final year usually you get less student financial support since you don't get paid for the summer because technically you won't be a student anymore by that time comes around.
Original post by Franetta

Another problem I'm finding is that this year I'm receiving less loan/grant than I did in the first and second year, this year being based on my parents' income from 2012/13 (I think?) which has changed very little, probably only by a few hundred pounds, so I don't understand why my loan/grant has been cut massively.

They reduce the amount they give you for your last year as for the other years it is supposed to last you through the summer holidays (hence giving the largest amount in the third instalment) but for your final year, they expect you to go out and find work so don't cover the summer holidays.

EDIT: I got beaten to it xD
(edited 9 years ago)
Maintenance loan: 3862
Maintenance grant: 3387
Bursaries: 3000
Scholarships: Not sure, should be finding out this week, so I'll update.
Savings: I have 5000 due to inheritance, but I'm hoping to save this for when I finish University and don't plan on spending any.
Money from parents: None.

Accommodation cost: 4830 (42 weeks)
Weekly spend after accommodation: 129ish? Probably less, sometimes more as my bursary payments come at odd times.
Reply 111
Original post by Ruffiio
If you're going into final year usually you get less student financial support since you don't get paid for the summer because technically you won't be a student anymore by that time comes around.

You get less money in your final year? I never knew that.
Reply 112
Maintenance Loan: 3750-ish
Maintenance Grant: 3750-ish
Scholarships:
Savings: Not planning to use at uni
Money from Parents: 300 p/m (3600 p/a)

Accommodation Cost: 4000
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Not set one
Reply 113
Original post by FergieD
Maintenance Loan: 3750-ish
Maintenance Grant: 3750-ish
Scholarships:
Savings: Not planning to use at uni
Money from Parents: 300 p/m (3600 p/a)

Accommodation Cost: 4000
Weekly spend after Accommodation: Not set one

Not set one yet? It's generally the remaining money divided by contact length.
Original post by Ruffiio

Original post by Midnight Star
They reduce the amount they give you for your last year as for the other years it is supposed to last you through the summer holidays (hence giving the largest amount in the third instalment) but for your final year, they expect you to go out and find work so don't cover the summer holidays.

I understand that, it just seems to me though that my final year is going to be the most expensive, what with graduation costs which I have looked into and it costs a fortune, and printing and binding services which are required for my dissertation which are rather costly at my university. For example to have an A2 poster printed (a piece of my final project coursework) will cost 50+. So if I'm paying that one week, to make up for it I'll have to not spend a single penny for like a month?
Fair enough this time next year I won't be a student anymore, however it doesn't help when the cost of third year is going to be more expensive than previous years.
Reply 115
Original post by David B

It just a uni accommodation term length, I think its like 42-weeks? So I guess 10100/42 = 240-ish
Original post by David B

That would be the maximum spendable per week to completely run out of money 0 but no one spends that much realistically per week.
Like I said mine is 151 per week but realistically i'll only be spending 20-30
(edited 9 years ago)
Maintenance Loan: 1800
Maintenance Grant:
None
Bursaries:
None
Scholarships:
None
Savings:
None
Money from Parents:
around 3600

Accommodation Cost:
3600 (120 per week - inc. bills)
Weekly spend after Accommodation:
Reply 118
Original post by FergieD
It just a uni accommodation term length, I think its like 42-weeks? So I guess 10100/42 = 240-ish

Wow nice you got some spending money :smile:

Original post by Ruffiio
That would be the maximum spendable per week to completely run out of money 0 but no one spends that much realistically per week.
Like I said mine is 151 per week but realistically i'll only be spending 20-30

Well yeah but the point of the thread was too find out the maximum you can spend weekly. But I guess it would've been better if I added an option to ask how much of the maximum you were going to spend a week. And only 20-30? What you going to do with the remaining 131-121? Well it's obvious your going to save it, but for what?
Original post by David B
Wow nice you got some spending money :smile:

Well yeah but the point of the thread was too find out the maximum you can spend weekly. But I guess it would've been better if I added an option to ask how much of the maximum you were going to spend a week. And only 20-30? What you going to do with the remaining 131-121? Well it's obvious your going to save it, but for what?

Haven't decided yet, maybe driving lessons because I've never needed a car in my life yet but I'll probably need one if I'm going to get a job. (that isn't in walkable distance anyway.. If i wanted a job at uni it would be close so no need for a car) Maybe save up to move out sometime in the future, I want to get out from living with parents ASAP, hence the reason I have a 50 week contract in my upcoming second year.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending