The Student Room Group

Scottish Independence - Debating Thread

Poll

"Should Scotland be an independent country?"

Thoughts?......
(edited 9 years ago)
Since I am not Scottish, not even British, I don't have a particular opinion on this, however :
Even if they all say Scotland could be a self-sufficient country thanks to the oil and whiskey industry, I still have doubts, as oil is no limitless resource.
I also know that for lots of Scots, the independance is a matter of pride, as some of them are so patriotic they may reject the English authority. But Scotland already has its own parliament, so it can take its own decisions without the British government's approval, it is already autonomous !
For me, Scotland's stronger as a part of the UK. Of course, I am in no way an expert of the subject, this is just my opinion, and I'll be glad to see what British people in general, and Scottish people in particular think of the question :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by EllieInTheSky
Since I am not Scottish, not even British, I don't have a particular opinion on this, however :
Even if they all say Scotland could be a self-sufficient country thanks to the oil and whiskey industry, I still have doubts, as oil is no limitless resource.
I also know that for lots of Scots, the independance is a matter of pride, as some of them are so patriotic they may reject the English authority. But Scotland already has its own parliament, so it can take its own decisions without the British government's approval, it is already autonomous !
For me, Scotland's stronger as a part of the UK. Of course, I am in no way an expert of the subject, this is just my opinion, and I'll be glad to see what British people in general, and Scottish people in particular think of the question :smile:

Agreed. I doubt oil and whiskey alone can allow the country to flourish. I do think, however, that the 'Yes' vote will be more popular than was first thought. We'll see.
But Scotland already has its own parliament, so it can take its own decisions without the British government's approval, it is already autonomous !

It is devolved, not autonomous, which means it has some powers, in the same way a county council has powers although it has a lot more than a county council would. Quite a few people want tax powers granted to it.

Essentially all public services are devolved among a few other things but taxation isn't. The UK parliament still represents people in Scotland and fights for its, among the rest of the UK's, interests.

It also gets it's budget from taxes paid to the UK treasury. I'm not sure if this would continue to be the case should the Scottish Parliament get it's own tax powers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
The biggest issue I think the no-vote faces is actually instilling a passion in people to get out and vote 'no'. Obviously, people will travel to be able to vote 'yes', but there is a sense of apathy regarding the no vote from many I expect.
Reply 5
Original post by SH0405
Thoughts?......

How come this thread with less than half a dozen replies is the 'official' thread, rather than the one in UK Politics with over 2,000?
Reply 6

Its not autonomous, it works within a remit delegated by Westminister.

Holyrood cannot change VAT, the pension age, the benefits level for the disabled. It cannot even change the content of the driving test, let alone control its own borders or set its own monetary framework.
Reply 7
Original post by SH0405
Agreed. I doubt oil and whiskey alone can allow the country to flourish. I do think, however, that the 'Yes' vote will be more popular than was first thought. We'll see.

Since you can't even spell whisky, I doubt you could give much comentary on the industry let alone where it sits in its contribution to the economy of Scotland...
We already have a thread for this
Reply 9
Original post by Jordooooom
We already have a thread for this

No, no - this is the official one. It says so in the thread title.
Reply 10
Original post by Quady
Since you can't even spell whisky, I doubt you could give much comentary on the industry let alone where it sits in its contribution to the economy of Scotland...

Apologies, I spelt it the Irish way :/
Yes
Reply 12
Original post by Quady

*cough* commentary *cough* *cough* :aetsch:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending