The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by phish food
Do you consider faggot/fag to be a swear word (when used in the context of "you're a fag")?

It isn't a swear word, but it's quite insulting. I know for a fact I wouldn't want someone to call me an annoying, inconsiderate harley rider. I also do not own, or regularly ride a harley.
If you have PC aquaintances ye. If you have laid back friends nah.
Shout it to a police officer and see if they arrest you
not in UK as its a scottish meatball but here in canada/usa it is :smile: depends on the context you use it really
Not quite a swear word but it's offensive in certain contexts.
I use it in a non-offensive way to my friends.

I do not mean to use it as an insult to homosexual people at all. I use it because it rolls off the tongue nicely.
Reply 7
Original post by TheFOMaster
It isn't a swear word, but it's quite insulting. I know for a fact I wouldn't want someone to call me an annoying, inconsiderate harley rider. I also do not own, or regularly ride a harley.

Original post by ChickenMadness
If you have PC aquaintances ye. If you have laid back friends nah.

Original post by Trihawk7
Shout it to a police officer and see if they arrest you

Original post by KaylaMary
not in UK as its a scottish meatball but here in canada/usa it is :smile: depends on the context you use it really

Original post by Malevolent
Not quite a swear word but it's offensive in certain contexts.

Original post by tehforum
I use it in a non-offensive way to my friends.

I do not mean to use it as an insult to homosexual people at all. I use it because it rolls off the tongue nicely.

none of you have voted, pls do
(edited 9 years ago)

too much effort

theres no vote button lol. website is being faggotish
Reply 10
Original post by Trihawk7
too much effort

you commented twice...

Original post by ChickenMadness
theres no vote button lol. website is being faggotish

das not it mane
yes.
I'd say it's not a swear word but it's incredibly offensive 99% of the time it's used.
Reply 13
a faggot is a bundle of sticks used for kindling isn't it?

And the slang term means gay right? So... is calling someone gay (when they're not) a swear word? Because I would only actually say that the C, F, S and (possibly) the B and lesser C words count as 'swears'.
No, however, it's a derogatory, homophobic, term.
Original post by lerjj
a faggot is a bundle of sticks used for kindling isn't it?

And the slang term means gay right? So... is calling someone gay (when they're not) a swear word? Because I would only actually say that the C, F, S and (possibly) the B and lesser C words count as 'swears'.

Fagot is a bundle of sticks bound together, however, FaGGot is a homophobic derogatory term.
Not a swear word as such but highly offensive. I would put it on par with the N word and the P word.
Reply 17
I quite like faggots, especially with mash and onion gravy!
No, not really. Or you wouldn't see the word in the chilled section of your local supermarket :tongue:
I don't think it's a swear word, just pretty offensive if used in a certain context.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest