The Student Room Group

Advice for course to choose?

Torn between Comp Sci and Maths/Econ

Can someone help me choose?

I wonder mainly is Comp Sci more relevant due to the rapid advancement of technology and applications and economics less relevant?
what subjects do u do? grades? u going into yr 13?
Original post by Kabulkid
what subjects do u do? grades? u going into yr 13?

Maths, Further, Physics, Economics

A*A*A*A

Going into year 13, yeah.
Original post by Kolasinac138

A*A*A*A

very similar to what i did, im guessing those r ur predicted grades right.

ermm both are pretty solid degrees, you'll get into LSE maths & econ no problem, I know kids that got aab in AS and got offers from there. if u wunna make money.. i'd say study eco @ lse/cambridge. what subjects do u enjoy the most and what do you find easiest?

A*A*A*A

Lol... Yeah right. You haven't even gotten your AS results and you can't get an A* at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CallMeJay
Lol... Yeah right. You haven't even gotten your AS results and you can't get an A* at AS

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't sit A-levels. I sit Pre-U's, and my Pre-U predictions are A*A*A*A.
Original post by Kabulkid
very similar to what i did, im guessing those r ur predicted grades right.

ermm both are pretty solid degrees, you'll get into LSE maths & econ no problem, I know kids that got aab in AS and got offers from there. if u wunna make money.. i'd say study eco @ lse/cambridge. what subjects do u enjoy the most and what do you find easiest?

Economics, but at the same time I feel as if I'd like Computer Science ( though I really have no way to know in my opinion ). I was under the impression CS is more relevant in the advancing world which is becoming more digitalized and being involved in that field would be beneficial.

What did you study?
Economics, but at the same time I feel as if I'd like Computer Science ( though I really have no way to know in my opinion ). I was under the impression CS is more relevant in the advancing world which is becoming more digitalized and being involved in that field would be beneficial.

What did you study?

im awaiting A2 results, my firm is cambridge and insurance is imperial for engineering.

CS is relevant but it's not that magically in 4 years everyone will be wanting a CS degree. have you got any experience in coding? i know its not needed but its a good insight to what ur gunna get urself into.

do u wunna make a lot of money?

i know someone that studied maths @ cambridge and then did a CS masters because the jobs on offer are really good, the pay isn't amazing though but the big consultancy companies love their employees.

also, imo getting into CS would be easier than economics at a top uni and the reqs are only A*AA i believe, unlike the A*A*A for maths, and by doing CS you can skip STEP (unless u get an offer from Cambridge I believe).
Aha, right. Thanks. What engineering at Imperial by the way?

Not too interested in money, but mainly interested in what will be relevant come the future and when I'm finished. Also, I feel like CS is more employable but not sure.

What made you choose engineering?
Have you had any experience with comp sci? It's very interesting but very hard also. I took it for GCSE with plans to take it higher but it's so.. frustrating at times, especially if you're coding. I'd get some work experience with both before deciding!
Original post by NancyRoseC
Have you had any experience with comp sci? It's very interesting but very hard also. I took it for GCSE with plans to take it higher but it's so.. frustrating at times, especially if you're coding. I'd get some work experience with both before deciding!

A little bit, didn't like it that much but still feel as if I'd be interested.
bump

Really hard to decide.

Could anyone else say what helped them to choose?
Employers often don't really care what degree you have as long as it was a vigorous course of study showing you are intelligent and have the ability to work hard. Economics would be valuable degree to have and will be just as useful long term. Of course St Andrews would let you do both.
How about employability? It seems CS is much more direct in its job options.
"more direct" can also be more limited. For your first job the class of degree will matter so if you are more likely to get a first or 2.1 studying economics go for that. People generally do better studying something they enjoy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending