The Student Room Group

Minor in French or Italian?

Hi guys!
So I switched my uni course to English Lit w/Creative Writing from International Law.
I only realised recently that it gives me the opportunity to choose a minor! I'm thrilled because I couldn't do any with Law, but now I'm confused as to whether I should choose French or Italian. I know I don't have to choose until September but it'd be nice to have some opinions!

French: I loved it GCSE, always came out with top results and didn't struggle. I genuinely enjoyed it but didn't take it at A-level, instead opting for Maths (which I hated and failed/dropped anyway). I can still recall bits and bobs though! :colondollar:

Italian: Never learned it but I think it's a beautiful language! I only know swear words from playing Assassin's Creed in Renaissance Italy but that's it, really, haha. I've always wanted to learn the language properly.

Now, if I do French as a minor, I'll have to do it intensively (same as Italian), meaning as a complete beginner from scratch. It's so intensive I'll have to do it up to A-level standards by the end of first year.

Would it make sense to take up a new language instead?

Thanks for the help!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mochassassin
Hi guys!
So I switched my uni course to English Lit w/Creative Writing from International Law.
I only realised recently that it gives me the opportunity to choose a minor! I'm thrilled because I couldn't do any with Law, but now I'm confused as to whether I should choose French or Italian. I know I don't have to choose until September but it'd be nice to have some opinions!

French: I loved it GCSE, always came out with top results and didn't struggle. I genuinely enjoyed it but didn't take it at A-level, instead opting for Maths (which I hated and failed/dropped anyway). I can still recall bits and bobs though! :colondollar:

Italian: Never learned it but I think it's a beautiful language! I only know swear words from playing Assassin's Creed in Renaissance Italy but that's it, really, haha. I've always wanted to learn the language properly.

Now, if I do French as a minor, I'll have to do it intensively (same as Italian), meaning as a complete beginner from scratch. It's so intensive I'll have to do it up to A-level standards by the end of first year.

Would it make sense to take up a new language instead?

Thanks for the help!

Seeing as you'd have to study both from the beginner's class I don't think there's much to choose between them. French was my first foreign language, Italian was my third - I did an ab-initio A Level course in it.
Personally I preferred Italian - French grammar but easier pronunciation and it really is beautiful. And I wanted to do Italian at uni (with German and Japanese) but I ended up at a uni that doesn't teach it so I did French instead.
I've done well in French but I still don't really love it. I'm not passionate about it. And I loved it at GCSE too :tongue: For some reason, I lost my interest the more advanced my level got.
But who knows - Italian might have had the same effect!

I would definitely say that French is the more useful of the two. It's more widely spoken, as a first and as a second language and it's an important one for the EU and the UN. And it's in demand by UK businesses. So that's something to consider.

And as the two languages are related, it'll be easier to pick the other up. So if you did Italian you'd probably find French comes back to you quicker. Like for me now - I've done no Italian for 4 years so I can barely speak it but I can still read it pretty well because of its links to French.
Original post by sophia5892
Seeing as you'd have to study both from the beginner's class I don't think there's much to choose between them. French was my first foreign language, Italian was my third - I did an ab-initio A Level course in it.
Personally I preferred Italian - French grammar but easier pronunciation and it really is beautiful. And I wanted to do Italian at uni (with German and Japanese) but I ended up at a uni that doesn't teach it so I did French instead.
I've done well in French but I still don't really love it. I'm not passionate about it. And I loved it at GCSE too :tongue: For some reason, I lost my interest the more advanced my level got.
But who knows - Italian might have had the same effect!

I would definitely say that French is the more useful of the two. It's more widely spoken, as a first and as a second language and it's an important one for the EU and the UN. And it's in demand by UK businesses. So that's something to consider.

And as the two languages are related, it'll be easier to pick the other up. So if you did Italian you'd probably find French comes back to you quicker. Like for me now - I've done no Italian for 4 years so I can barely speak it but I can still read it pretty well because of its links to French.

Thank you so much for your reply! I was beginning to think it got lost in the swarm of other threads. :redface:

I understand what you said about the importance for EU and UN. I always wanted to work for either the EU or the UN with my law degree and go into human rights or European law. However, now that I've changed my degree, I don't/wouldn't want to work for them so I don't need French right? Plus, I'm not planning on sticking around England after my degree. I'm hoping to find a job placement abroad somewhere.

Italian is definitely beautiful, you're right! The way the words roll off the tongue so elegantly, haha. I spend way too much time romanticising about silly things. :colondollar:

Like you said, French will come back easier if I learn Italian and I think it'll be a challenge learning Italian! Going back to basics with French isn't something I want to waste my time doing as I remember more than half of GCSE French already.

Think I'm going to stick with Italian and maybe try and go back to French if I have the opportunity! Thank you for your answer again. I really appreciate it! :biggrin:
Original post by Mochassassin
Thank you so much for your reply! I was beginning to think it got lost in the swarm of other threads. :redface:

I understand what you said about the importance for EU and UN. I always wanted to work for either the EU or the UN with my law degree and go into human rights or European law. However, now that I've changed my degree, I don't/wouldn't want to work for them so I don't need French right? Plus, I'm not planning on sticking around England after my degree. I'm hoping to find a job placement abroad somewhere.

Italian is definitely beautiful, you're right! The way the words roll off the tongue so elegantly, haha. I spend way too much time romanticising about silly things. :colondollar:

Like you said, French will come back easier if I learn Italian and I think it'll be a challenge learning Italian! Going back to basics with French isn't something I want to waste my time doing as I remember more than half of GCSE French already.

Think I'm going to stick with Italian and maybe try and go back to French if I have the opportunity! Thank you for your answer again. I really appreciate it! :biggrin:

You're welcome. And learning any languages is a bonus. French might be more in demand but it's not like Italian is useless :tongue: And you're way more likely to do well if you're really interested in learning the language so that's the more important bit!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending