The Student Room Group

Near miss on firm choice, but already met requirements of insurance choice

Hello everybody, I've studied in the IB and I can meet the requirements of my insurance choice of Surrey but not my firm choice of UCL, which is just a narrow miss of 1 mark. I have written emails to my UCL and they say they can turn my offer to unconditional if they decide to accept me, and they are currently reviewing my case to see if they can grant me an exemption by near miss. Must UCL change my offer from conditional to unconditional before tomorrow or a particular date? Or can they do it anytime before 31/8? Must I also need to log on to UCAS to confirm that I accept that the offer has changed to unconditional?

It's because I'm concerned that whether by a certain date UCAS will automatically confirm my insurance choice based on my scores and leave no room for the firm choice (UCL) to change their decision to unconditional.
Original post by cobalt174
Hello everybody, I've studied in the IB and I can meet the requirements of my insurance choice of Surrey but not my firm choice of UCL, which is just a narrow miss of 1 mark. I have written emails to my UCL and they say they can turn my offer to unconditional if they decide to accept me, and they are currently reviewing my case to see if they can grant me an exemption by near miss. Must UCL change my offer from conditional to unconditional before tomorrow or a particular date? Or can they do it anytime before 31/8? Must I also need to log on to UCAS to confirm that I accept that the offer has changed to unconditional?

It's because I'm concerned that whether by a certain date UCAS will automatically confirm my insurance choice based on my scores and leave no room for the firm choice (UCL) to change their decision to unconditional.

They might make a quick decision and let you know in the next few days.

However, they might want to consider your application in comparison with other 'near misses'. UCL will receive the A-level results the weekend before results day (August 14th) and make most decisions then.
As above.

You would be best to contact them to find out when they expect to have made a decision.

If they don't update anything then UCAS will reject you on their behalf on 31/8 (and your insurance will become your new firm) - but it is very unlikely that they would wait that long (and you can approach UCAS before then around the 20/8 if they are taking an unreasonable amount of time to decide)
Original post by cobalt174

My friend and me have the exact same case as you (but I'm with Warwick and hes with UCL), and UCL still accepted him a few days after IB results...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending