The Student Room Group

Why don't people understand what a peadophile is?

I've seen news stories about people who have sex with teenagers called peadophiles... I don't get this... A peadophile is someone who is sexually attracted to humans who haven't gone though puberty (Prepubescent) 13. 14. 15 year old humans have gone though puberty (Unless they have a hormone problem) so therefore the person isn't a peadophile they are either a hebephile or ebhebephile... Why don't people understand this?
I don't know, maybe it's because they can't spell it properly or something :rollseyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ryan9900
I don't know, maybe it's because they can't spell it properly or something :rollseyes:

I'm talking about people like Jermery Forster... He's NOT a peadophile... He didn't abuse a 4 year old.
Reply 3
In the news, paedophile sounds more sensational, so does a better job of shocking the public. Also in society we are constantly misinformed.
The law using the term in a very broad fashion is one of the issues. It doesn't help to educate people on the definition of the term. The media also use the term incorrectly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MylittlePlusle
I'm talking about people like Jermery Forster... He's NOT a peadophile... He didn't abuse a 4 year old.

I think you may have slightly missed my point. I'll spell it out for you. Literally.

Paedophile.

Not Peadophile. That way of spelling it makes me think somebody is sexually abusing prepubescent pea's.
A paedophile also isn't necessary a child abuser. You get many who fight against the condition all their lives.
Original post by Blue Meltwater
A paedophile also isn't necessary a child abuser. You get many who fight against the condition all their lives.

Yeah, exactly. So many people ignorantly think that paedophile=child abuser, no exceptions.
Paedophilia nowadays means something completely different to what it meant in Ancient Greek times when the term was coined. Aristotle said philia was a brotherly love for family and friends. Eros (physical and usually lustful love) would be more fitting for the modern meaning.
While most are developed by 15, we have a benchmark which guarantees all people are developed. It might be different if a 16 year old and a 15 year old, who is a month away from being 16 or is in the same school year, but it's a benchmark we all have to respect.

I get more annoyed when people refer to paedophiles as paedos. Makes no sense, because that means a paedophile is someone who is sexualy attracted to paedophiles. Makes no sense.
Original post by Snagprophet
While most are developed by 15, we have a benchmark which guarantees all people are developed. It might be different if a 16 year old and a 15 year old, who is a month away from being 16 or is in the same school year, but it's a benchmark we all have to respect.

I get more annoyed when people refer to paedophiles as paedos. Makes no sense, because that means a paedophile is someone who is sexualy attracted to paedophiles. Makes no sense.

Calling a paedeophile a paedo is calling them a child as paedo means child...
The whole concept is misunderstood and wildly complex. But the law must protect teenagers too. There is something very wrong with grown adults engaging in sexual activity with 14/15 year olds, regardless of technicalities.
Original post by AvatarMew
Calling a paedeophile a paedo is calling them a child as paedo means child...

I mean that would mean, by the logic of those who say 'paedo'.
It's such a harsh sounding word. The 'p' at the start can be spat out. The 'phile' sounds like FBI files.

Yet 'Paedophile' on its own means nothing more than attracted to childen. It doesn't HAVE to be in a 'full sex' kind of way (although it is generally used in that way). If there wasn't a bit of being attracted to childlike elements in everyone then we'd have no compulsion to reproduce at all (unless adults think that children are nothing more than scivvies).

There are massively different grades of paedophiles. Of course paedophile murderers are totally in an awful league of their own.
But you could just call them murderers. They might have only done something only 'relatively' mild before killing someone. In their case their murderousness is definitely the worst aspect of them. But some child murderers (or just some everyday members of the public) are the exact opposite of paedophiles. They have no love, no attraction, at all to children. In some ways it could be argued that seems more truly sad because it might be so widescale.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply