The Student Room Group

Advice Needed!

Hey guys!

I'm currently waiting for my AS-Level results, but I'm having doubts about how well my results are going to be...

All I've ever wanted to do was study Medicine, anything else never appeals to me. Don't get me wrong, I understand fully about all the hard work and dedication you need in order to study the course and I am 100% ready for that.

However, I don't think my grades will show the Universities on how much I want to do Medicine. I'm really scared that I won't get it at all.

Does anyone know if it's too late to study hard to boost my grades during my A2? I'm already getting a head start by looking at the topics in Biology and Chemistry and Maths in my A2 during the summer.

And if it IS too late, would Universities accept re-sits? Or how are Gap Years going to help me get into Medicine the second year round? I understand there are alternative routes, but what are the chances of getting into Medicine through that?

I hope everyone will be as nice as possible and help me out on this, I want nothing more than to be a doctor and I fully regret only realising now that I should've done better with my grades.

For my IGCSEs, I managed to get 2A*s, 7As and 3Bs. And I've done some work experience too.

I would love to hear of any good advices or words or encouragements or even stories of anyone who's made it with low A-Level grades or anything else!

Thanks all :smile:
Don't sweat it brah!

I had two friends who came into their A2 exams with zero offers for medicine/dentistry. Both now have unconditional offers and are starting in September! I wouldn't worry about not getting offers...get the grades and take it from there, a year out is nothing in the grand scheme of things and most people actually look back and said their gap year was one of the best things they could have done.

Just focus on the grades...
Reply 2
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Don't sweat it brah!

I had two friends who came into their A2 exams with zero offers for medicine/dentistry. Both now have unconditional offers and are starting in September! I wouldn't worry about not getting offers...get the grades and take it from there, a year out is nothing in the grand scheme of things and most people actually look back and said their gap year was one of the best things they could have done.

Just focus on the grades...

Thanks! Gap Year sounds like the best opportunity to travel I guess! :redface:
Moving this to the medicine forum.
Heey!
1) AS don't really matter that much, I mean yea some universities look at them but just filter out the ones that don't and you're good to go.
2) THEY HATE RESITS! Honestly, thats all I hear is that medicine unis hate resits. Perhaps resitting a module but not a whole thing you feel
3) Just focus really hard on getting AAA next year :smile:
4) Gap years are awesome. Get to travel, meet new people and have great life experiences - all of which you can write about on your personal statement next time around
Original post by nf196
Hey guys!

I'm currently waiting for my AS-Level results, but I'm having doubts about how well my results are going to be...

All I've ever wanted to do was study Medicine, anything else never appeals to me. Don't get me wrong, I understand fully about all the hard work and dedication you need in order to study the course and I am 100% ready for that.

However, I don't think my grades will show the Universities on how much I want to do Medicine. I'm really scared that I won't get it at all.

Does anyone know if it's too late to study hard to boost my grades during my A2? I'm already getting a head start by looking at the topics in Biology and Chemistry and Maths in my A2 during the summer.

And if it IS too late, would Universities accept re-sits? Or how are Gap Years going to help me get into Medicine the second year round? I understand there are alternative routes, but what are the chances of getting into Medicine through that?

I hope everyone will be as nice as possible and help me out on this, I want nothing more than to be a doctor and I fully regret only realising now that I should've done better with my grades.

For my IGCSEs, I managed to get 2A*s, 7As and 3Bs. And I've done some work experience too.

I would love to hear of any good advices or words or encouragements or even stories of anyone who's made it with low A-Level grades or anything else!

Thanks all :smile:

Medicine is hard to get into with resits outside of your two years at college as many don't accept that. Many universities don't look at your AS results, so as long as you work hard to get AAA at A level you'll be okay. You will need AAA as a prediction but worst case is you can apply after A levels with your results achieved if you don't get the prediction.

Graduate medicine is extremely competitive and there are rumours it won't be around much longer, but graduate entry is currently an option.

Do you qualify for widening access schemes? You need to meet a few financial criteria but they have lower entry requirements (BBC for Southampton) and you just do an extra year.
Reply 6
Original post by Neostigmine
Medicine is hard to get into with resits outside of your two years at college as many don't accept that. Many universities don't look at your AS results, so as long as you work hard to get AAA at A level you'll be okay. You will need AAA as a prediction but worst case is you can apply after A levels with your results achieved if you don't get the prediction.

Graduate medicine is extremely competitive and there are rumours it won't be around much longer, but graduate entry is currently an option.

Do you qualify for widening access schemes? You need to meet a few financial criteria but they have lower entry requirements (BBC for Southampton) and you just do an extra year.

Well my school lets us do resits while doing A2 Levels, will that still put universities off? Unfortunately, I don't qualify for any foundation courses, I've already checked :frown:

But thanks everyone for the advice! I'm going to try really hard, and if the worse comes to worse, I'm going to see if there are any access to Medicine courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending