The Student Room Group

Men would you give mouth to mouth to another man

Scroll to see replies

No! it's gay & walter white says this doesn't work...
Reply 21
Why on earth would men be more awkward then women?

Random woman on street: goes over, kneels down by chest, pinches nose and head back, forcefully blows into mouth, presses down on her breasts 20 times.
Reply 22
Original post by bertstare
Though that was obviously the context of this thread, there is a definite risk of contracting diseases when doing mouth to mouth, especially if you aren't vaccinated against something highly infectious like Hep B... So in a sense there is a fairly valid reason for not wanting to do mouth to mouth on a random stranger but it'd have to apply to all people not just males

This is a fair objection I suppose. I think the current advice is for first aiders to only do chest compressions unless help will be a very long time (or if they've drowned).
if someone's life is in danger i think the whole "no homo" thing should go out the window
Original post by Aph
Surely mouth to mouth is just likely to kill them as you're filling their lungs with CO2??
but no I wouldn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow.. Just. Wow...
I've been to probably >100 arrests now, but all in-hospital so have never had to do mouth-to-mouth. I would be wary of doing it in the community without some kind of mouth guard - arrests are often messy, there's blood and vomit all over and the last thing you want to do is be blowing vomit down into someone's airway. I would assess the situation and what kit is on-hand before making my final decision.
I'd find it just as weird as with a woman I didn't know. Unless he had a beard. Then it'd be weirder. I mean, a bushy beard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lerjj
This is a fair objection I suppose. I think the current advice is for first aiders to only do chest compressions unless help will be a very long time (or if they've drowned).

I had a top up first aid course a few days ago and we were told to still use rescue breaths. The problem with someone who isn't trained doing it is that they're likely to end up blowing air into someone's stomach if they don't tilt the head back which isn't good. So the Vinnie Jones advert came out to pretty much tell people not to do that and stick to compressions if they didn't know what they were doing. But getting oxygen into someone as quickly as possible goes a long way in their recovery (depending on what happened to them of course).
I don't see why any man wouldn't give mouth to mouth to another person regardless of their gender if it was going to save their life...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by Michael!
I had a top up first aid course a few days ago and we were told to still use rescue breaths. The problem with someone who isn't trained doing it is that they're likely to end up blowing air into someone's stomach if they don't tilt the head back which isn't good. So the Vinnie Jones advert came out to pretty much tell people not to do that and stick to compressions if they didn't know what they were doing. But getting oxygen into someone as quickly as possible goes a long way in their recovery (depending on what happened to them of course).

Me too, but mine was with the intention of giving first aid whilst hiking, so paramedics would only be available via mountain rescue, so I wasn't sure whether the rescue breaths were because compression only CPR wouldn't work for that long. I would say that, assuming you've called for an ambulance already, give CPR because you're unlikely to get a serious infection that they couldn't fix once you were at hospital with the guy.
Original post by lerjj
Why on earth would men be more awkward then women?

Random woman on street: goes over, kneels down by chest, pinches nose and head back, forcefully blows into mouth, presses down on her breasts 20 times.

To be fair, I do that on most days. The only problem is the random women in question tend to be quite shocked that I do it on them whilst they're shopping. :frown:
Nah cos im not a poofy homo phaggot, tuchin lips iz gay man lulz

/sarcasm
Reply 32
Original post by Genocidal
To be fair, I do that on most days. The only problem is the random women in question tend to be quite shocked that I do it on them whilst they're shopping. :frown:

Hahaha I think I made my point though, surely CPR is embarassing enough from a normal perspective that whether it is a guy or a girl shouldn't matter? Girls are more awkward imo because if you were to do a body sweep for cuts etc. it's going to look quite a lot like harassment to anyone else:
"I'm just running my hands up your legs to check for bleeding..."
You're not supposed to use your mouth anymore anyway. (thread should now end but it wont)

[video="youtube;ILxjxfB4zNk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

it would be terrible if the person does not have any rhythm
Original post by Genocidal

You'd think they'd grateful for saving their life:rolleyes:
Original post by lerjj
Me too, but mine was with the intention of giving first aid whilst hiking, so paramedics would only be available via mountain rescue, so I wasn't sure whether the rescue breaths were because compression only CPR wouldn't work for that long. I would say that, assuming you've called for an ambulance already, give CPR because you're unlikely to get a serious infection that they couldn't fix once you were at hospital with the guy.

Sorry to say it, but if you're properly hiking somewhere remote enough that you need mountain rescue, CPR with or without rescue breaths is virtually never going to be successful.
You're not supposed to use your mouth anymore anyway.

Yes you are, rescue breaths are still part of the CPR protocol; that advert is just to encourage the average person to attempt chest compressions at the very least (as they are most important). If they advertised mouth to mouth as being essential for doing CPR, most people wouldn't do anything at all
Yes, if course I would. How insecure would someone have to be to say no :s-smilie:!
You're not supposed to use your mouth anymore anyway.

Thats only if you're an incompetent dip****. The idea is that if you don't know what you're doing, just pumping the chest is better than nothing.

If you've been on a first aid course, as surely most people will have done at some time or other (I've been on like 10 of the bloody things) you should be competent enough to do breaths, compressions, and if the equipment is available, use resus paddles.

Quick Reply

Latest