The Student Room Group

Want to do Biology but taking exams a year later, is this going to stop me?

16, homeschooled but Had some problems... doing IGCSE's(which are suppossed to be harder than normal gcses, not trying to be funny btw), one O level(Commerce) and one GCSE(psychology) but I didn't take them this summer, I might take most in January as im going to do a BTEC Sport course in september to pass time. I really want to do Biology in the future... is this going to affect me getting a job as a biologist after my PhD? I know its competitive.... I'm also into sport, should I do volunteer work to help my cv? Im more into Human Biology, and I want to do Biology,Chemistry and Psychology a level.( no human biology at any colleges near me, I do find the plant stuff boring and usually forget/hard to revise over but people have said its a soft subject but I could do indipendently )...

Would me getting really top marks(like full marks/near full marks) in all GCSE's, alevels and uni save me?

Scroll to see replies

I may be taking the same igcses as you, may I ask you the cost at which you are being charged at by your centre.

Unis don't care about ums in gcse's

igcse's are much harder than regular gcse's - I was doing a past physics paper and it had content from Unit 1 Physics and Unit 4 Physics at A Level, not too hard but still much harder than gcse.
Reply 2
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel
I may be taking the same igcses as you, may I ask you the cost at which you are being charged at by your centre.

igcse's are much harder than regular gcse's - I was doing a past physics paper and it had content from Unit 1 Physics and Unit 4 Physics at A Level, not too hard but still much harder than gcse.

Yeah but im taking a year later, I was wondering if this is going to ruin me:/
Original post by elmosandy
Yeah but im taking a year later, I was wondering if this is going to ruin me:/

dw with all the changes to the exams and that the entry requirements will probably be lower, I doubt it.
Reply 4

& do you mean exam centre? Ooh I think at 3A tutors it was £150 per IGCSE(75 to defer)... http://www.3at.org.uk/
& do you mean exam centre? Ooh I think at 3A tutors it was £150 per IGCSE(75 to defer)... http://www.3at.org.uk/

The centre is in Bristol :/

What do you mean 75 to defer - 150 is a bit pricey, I have seen centres offering £90
Reply 6
The centre is in Bristol :/

What do you mean 75 to defer - 150 is a bit pricey, I have seen centres offering £90

If you want to defer the exam( take it the year later,etc)

Urm, if theres a private school near you(and maybe takes igcses) ask them if you can sit the exams there?
If you want to defer the exam( take it the year later,etc)

Urm, if theres a private school near you(and maybe takes igcses) ask them if you can sit the exams there?

ah ok I see, thanks for the help
Reply 8
ah ok I see, thanks for the help

:smile: and thankyou! urm, yeah private schools can do IGCSE's state schools cannot... you could find other exam centre near you:smile:
:smile: and thankyou! urm, yeah private schools can do IGCSE's state schools cannot... you could find other exam centre near you:smile:

Some do but only the top ones.

Actually I post on your wall :smile:
Reply 10
Some do but only the top ones.

Actually I post on your wall :smile:

on my wall??/what? sorry x
on my wall??/what? sorry x

tsr profile page
Reply 12
tsr profile page

how where, ive got your message but wheres my profile wall lol :/
how where, ive got your message but wheres my profile wall lol :/

i meant profile wall being the tsr page :smile:
Reply 14
i meant profile wall being the tsr page :smile:

oh okay, still cant see it tho..
Reply 15

State schools can do IGCSEs :wink:
Reply 16
Original post by Sulfur

No, IGCSE's are not for state schools. The Level 1/2 Certificate ( IGCSE Certificate for state schools: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edexcel-certificate/Pages/default.aspx ) IS for state schools ONLY. Private,International and Homechooled students can do IGCSE's: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/Pages/default.aspx . There's a difference.

Read that, hahahahah. Stop it, sick and tired of people thinking they know everything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur

I go to a state school and did some iGCSEs this summer (June 2014)

Learn to read OP, the Edexcel website says the specifications are not approved for UK schools, not that their students can't be entered for iGCSE examinations.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by yellowcopter
I got to a state school and did some iGCSEs this summer (June 2014)

Learn to read OP, the Edexcel website says the specifications are not approved for UK schools, not that they can't be entered for iGCSE examinations.

You must have did the certificate version: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edexcel-certificate/Pages/default.aspx which are used in state schools ONLY.(as it says right there). As I just said this in my last message but you just quoted a half of my message to try and prove a point, maybe you need to learn to not read just half a message.

The IGCSE is for private/international/homeschoolers, if somethings not approved how could you enter for it???? lol
(edited 9 years ago)
You must have did the certificate version: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/igcse/edexcel-certificate/Pages/default.aspx which are only used in state schools ONLY.(as it says right there).

The IGCSE is for private/international/homeschoolers, if somethings not approved how could you enter for it? omd

Whatever you say. You seem to know more. :rolleyes:

I know I didn't do the Certificate, as my exam didn't have an 'R' on it. An 'R' is placed on the element code of Certificate exams, to identify them from the iGCSE versions of the papers. Look at iGCSE and Certificate papers, and notice how the Certificate ones have an 'R'.

I also did an CIE iGCSE exam. CIE don't have a 'certificate' alternative for the UK. Yet I was able to do it. Interesting.

Edit: Stop editing your posts and then maybe I'll be able to respond to the whole post.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest