The Student Room Group

True or false - there is no 'indicator' for saying if you got the job or not

Hi,

It annoys me when people ask me or ask on this forum - what are indicators that I may have got the job.

I mean the only sort of indicator I can think of is if HR start doing background checks and asking for references.

People say if you are given an office tour, then you have a good chance of getting a job but I will tell you something ironic. I went to an interview, where they took me for an office tour - and I was funnily enough rejected. I then went to another interview and wasn't given the office tour - yet I was offered the job.

Anyways, would you agree that the only job indicator is when HR start doing all the paperwork
Original post by clubber
Hi,

It annoys me when people ask me or ask on this forum - what are indicators that I may have got the job.

I mean the only sort of indicator I can think of is if HR start doing background checks and asking for references.

People say if you are given an office tour, then you have a good chance of getting a job but I will tell you something ironic. I went to an interview, where they took me for an office tour - and I was funnily enough rejected. I then went to another interview and wasn't given the office tour - yet I was offered the job.

Anyways, would you agree that the only job indicator is when HR start doing all the paperwork

I'd say that is a realistic indicator - although even then, you can get rejected.

In my opinion, the only indicator that you've got the job is when they tell you "you've got the job".
Reply 2
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I'd say that is a realistic indicator - although even then, you can get rejected.

In my opinion, the only indicator that you've got the job is when they tell you "you've got the job".

Yeah true.

I mean before they say "you've got the job", I think another indicator is if they take their time a bit. Would you agree that if they want to reject you - they would tell you straight away, i.e. one or two days after the interview? Also, I think once they say HR will sort it out - its a good indicator, but then again I have heard that people get rejected at that stage too.
Original post by clubber
Yeah true.

I mean before they say "you've got the job", I think another indicator is if they take their time a bit. Would you agree that if they want to reject you - they would tell you straight away, i.e. one or two days after the interview? Also, I think once they say HR will sort it out - its a good indicator, but then again I have heard that people get rejected at that stage too.

Not necessarily.

I was given my job 2 minutes into the interview. Admittedly, it's only retail, but still. Sometimes they say that HR will sort it out, but then there might be one vacancy and several applicants that get sent to HR so it's difficult to tell.
Reply 4
Not necessarily.

I was given my job 2 minutes into the interview. Admittedly, it's only retail, but still. Sometimes they say that HR will sort it out, but then there might be one vacancy and several applicants that get sent to HR so it's difficult to tell.

True. I guess anything could happen.

I am just curious, a few months ago - I was given a job offer but it took HR 3 weeks to get back to me. Why is that? Because I went on to apply for another job in my area about 9 days ago, and I have been patiently waiting since. Do HR usually take their time with things?
Original post by clubber
True. I guess anything could happen.

I am just curious, a few months ago - I was given a job offer but it took HR 3 weeks to get back to me. Why is that? Because I went on to apply for another job in my area about 9 days ago, and I have been patiently waiting since. Do HR usually take their time with things?

HR can be busy doing other things, although normally HR have a department specifically to do with employment and recruiting.

How long HR take depends on the company and on the quality of the HR department. For me, it took 2 weeks. Other people I know have had to wait a month or possibly more, because of various background checks that have to be taken.

But of course HR will take their time in some cases - they want to be 100% sure they've hired the right person, and the right person for the job.
Reply 6
HR can be busy doing other things, although normally HR have a department specifically to do with employment and recruiting.

How long HR take depends on the company and on the quality of the HR department. For me, it took 2 weeks. Other people I know have had to wait a month or possibly more, because of various background checks that have to be taken.

But of course HR will take their time in some cases - they want to be 100% sure they've hired the right person, and the right person for the job.

Thanks for your response.

Ok lets assume a scenario...

Candidate A - student in his early 20s

Candidate B - student

Candidate C - a good looking woman

Round 1:

Candidate A - Aced the interview, invited to the second round

Candidate B - Aced the interview, invited to the second round

Candidate C - Despite her good looks and charms, she failed to impress and thus rejected.

Round 2 (Final round):
Candidate A -

Majority of the time was spent talking about a potential project.

Interviewer decided to talk about the project at the very start of the interview.

Very few questions were asked, and jokes were thrown here and there by the interviewer such as 'how old I am? Just kidding' and 'if you get my age right - you will get the job'.

Candidate B -

Project may have been explained to this candidate as well.

Usual questions asked.

Now, there were initally two roles advertised - but it may be narrowed down to one candidate taking on both roles. If you were the HR person who would you recruit? If an interviewer is joking around like asking 'if you get my age right - you will get the job', would you say its a good sign?
Reply 7
I have always known by the end of the interview whether I was going to get the job/invited back for next round. It's easy to read people and tell.
Reply 8
Original post by Reue
I have always known by the end of the interview whether I was going to get the job/invited back for next round. It's easy to read people and tell.

I disagree.

I have been to interviews where the interviewer doesn't smile, and I get invited to the next round. And I go to interviews where I tick all the boxes and the interviewer and I build rapport only to find that I get rejected.

In this UK economy, it can be hard to determine based on reading people or judging overall rapport
Reply 9
Original post by clubber
I disagree.

I'll correct it:

*I find it easy to read people and tell.
Reply 10
Original post by Reue
I'll correct it:

*I find it easy to read people and tell.

Ok fine, but still, even if you can 'read people and tell', they can still take on you on even if they don't like. After all, you may not be working for them.
Original post by clubber
Thanks for your response.

Ok lets assume a scenario...

Candidate A - student in his early 20s

Candidate B - student

Candidate C - a good looking woman

Round 1:

Candidate A - Aced the interview, invited to the second round

Candidate B - Aced the interview, invited to the second round

Candidate C - Despite her good looks and charms, she failed to impress and thus rejected.

Round 2 (Final round):
Candidate A -

Majority of the time was spent talking about a potential project.

Interviewer decided to talk about the project at the very start of the interview.

Very few questions were asked, and jokes were thrown here and there by the interviewer such as 'how old I am? Just kidding' and 'if you get my age right - you will get the job'.

Candidate B -

Project may have been explained to this candidate as well.

Usual questions asked.

Now, there were initally two roles advertised - but it may be narrowed down to one candidate taking on both roles. If you were the HR person who would you recruit? If an interviewer is joking around like asking 'if you get my age right - you will get the job', would you say its a good sign?

Guessing someone's age correctly will probably have no indication of how suitable they are to the job. Sure, it's good to have a laugh and all to show you can fit in well with a team, but the jokes can be overdone and made to look like you're not serious.

Plus, it depends on the quality of Candidate B's responses. If they are better, then Candidate B, if they're worse, obviously Candidate A.
Reply 12
Original post by clubber
Ok fine, but still, even if you can 'read people and tell', they can still take on you on even if they don't like. After all, you may not be working for them.

I dont disgaree. I was just pointing out my personal experience :smile:
Funny story, I went to an interview and the interviewer said to me "Yes, you would be a great asset to us here, you have the skills and the experience we're looking for" then she said "We would love to have you on board at our team, looks like all we have to do is sort out your references and DBS check and you can start, we'll definitely be in touch"
...... I got rejected. They also did not contact me. -.-
Reply 14
Original post by LouieSax
Funny story, I went to an interview and the interviewer said to me "Yes, you would be a great asset to us here, you have the skills and the experience we're looking for" then she said "We would love to have you on board at our team, looks like all we have to do is sort out your references and DBS check and you can start, we'll definitely be in touch"
...... I got rejected. They also did not contact me. -.-

PEAK. That is very very harsh
Reply 15
Guessing someone's age correctly will probably have no indication of how suitable they are to the job. Sure, it's good to have a laugh and all to show you can fit in well with a team, but the jokes can be overdone and made to look like you're not serious.

Plus, it depends on the quality of Candidate B's responses. If they are better, then Candidate B, if they're worse, obviously Candidate A.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the interviewer would be joking around a lot.

I had a mate who went to an interview about 1 and half months ago, and he was telling me that the interview was joking around a lot. I was like :confused:. My mate is quite smart and I know he matches the job spec well. He aced the first round of interviews, got to the final stage and is awaiting the final result
Reply 16
Original post by Reue
I dont disgaree. I was just pointing out my personal experience :smile:

Yeah true.

Quick Reply

Latest